1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shock torque question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by badguybuster, May 14, 2009.

1. May 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.

if you were a mechanic, i'd stay away from your shop.

OG_Tacoma likes this.
  2. May 15, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Exhibit "A" why I dont trust mechanics.

OG_Tacoma likes this.
  3. May 16, 2009 at 5:07 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Here's the FSM page for rear shock specs. In 99.9% of the times you should always use the torque specs.

However - there are situations where you physically can't use a torque wrench without taking tons of other things off and/or having the proper tools & torque wrenches to do so. If the item you are working on is NOT critical (like shocks), it's not nearly as important.

For instance, my husband and I installed shocks on my Mom's Grand Cherokee. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get any tools in there let alone a torque wrench. Having the abilitiy to hold the shock shaft AND get a torque wrench on it is nearly impossible in that situation. We used impact to 'snug' up againest the bushing. Count the threads and repeat on the opposite side.

Flame all you want.... but I'll be happy to admit that I don't necessarily use a torque wrench for every little thing. It depends on the item and its critical nature to the overall opperation of the vehicle.

4. May 16, 2009 at 5:08 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    +1 bajillion

1) The Toyota FSM is electronic so you don't have to hunt thru it...Click the right link and the info is right there. And there are 2 or 3 pages of torque settings if I remember correctly- Prolly a couple of pages worth having handy all the time.

2) If you are getting paid to do a job (especially at a dealership) you are getting paid to do it right. My spare time is is one thing. I'll waste it looking at the FSM all day. When it's your job and you aren't doing it right- You are DANGEROUS to others AND lazy.

And again- We are a site looking to teach people the right way to do things and help them with their trucks....So no I'm not going to ignore you and let you say stuff like "Just tighten it till it's tight" without someone speaking up for doing it right.

OG_Tacoma, Hazen and LITacoQ like this.
  5. May 16, 2009 at 5:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I can respect not doing it if you have to take the body off or whatever...and when it's your ride- Do what you want. hearing someone who is apparently a professional mech say that he doesn't feel like using the torque specs for something is ridiculous. If there is a torque spec-I'll use it cause someone smarter than I figured it out and as long as it doesn't break anything...Its good enuf for me.

6. May 16, 2009 at 5:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Totally agree.....
    If I was shopping around for a mechanic and they told me they don't use a torque wrench, I'd definately go somewhere else.

Although - what's worse?

A Professional Mechanic admitting he doesn't use a torque wrench (or whatever else)

Or

A Professional Mechanic who admits to going 'by the book' but doesn't do the work by the book.

7. May 16, 2009 at 5:41 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    True- Altho some how I have a feeling this guy doesn't tell his customers (if he is/was a mech) that he doesn't feel like using a torque wrench for somethings....Internet is one thing...Real life is totally different.

I don't like professional mechanics much at all honestly...but like so many other professions...They are necessary cause I don't have the tools or time to effect many repairs. The fact that I have had to check/re-do things that the professionals took care of for me is enuf reason for me to be wary.

8. May 16, 2009 at 6:52 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    That's not any different than any other profession. Every profession has its ranges of experience, attitude, & caring about the results.

I have two guys I work with who....umm....lack in professionalism & attitude. I have a thread on here about that. :D

9. May 16, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah...I've seen your thread.

Every profession has it's winners and losers. Some folks can get away with it...My high school job- Coulda done shitty work and the only thing that woulda happened was someone would have had to come along in a few years and re-do it. No harm, no foul cause it was just computer wires.

Do a poor job working on a car or as a doctor or cop...You can end/change someone's life...and I understand that a rear shock could fall off the truck and it won't cause an accident...but what else isn't important enuf to do right??

10. May 16, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Whos to say it wont cause an accident, though. If you loose a shock, the vehicles ability to handle as designed is completly compromised. There are many people on this site who have recently gotten their drivers license....If someting were to let go, even a shock, could they handle the vehicle enough to avoid a loss of control? Say it lets go around a corner, or a rough road.......

11. May 16, 2009 at 7:19 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    True- I more meant a a direct result. If the fitting on the calipers are not properly seated- You can seep brake fluid and lose effectiveness and crash. If the shock goes- it'll make the truck drive differently- but you can still drive.

12. May 16, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Saying "Profesional" mechanic may be a bad term......I have many friends that ARE "profesional" Mechanics, and they keep a manual next to them when doing any work on a vehicle, and tightne everything to factory specs.

13. May 16, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    why are you guys picking on us mechanics :eek:
    jk but nothing can get me more upset then a
    mechanic that just does shit work :mad:

14. May 16, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Not picking on them....See my post above...:eek:

15. May 16, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    David Tarantino

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    wow that had to go up at the same time
    iam jk anyway:D

16. May 16, 2009 at 7:48 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah man...Don't get me wrong...When I need the help of a mechanic I know I need it and I'm glad you have the training that you do...but the ones who do crappy work or cut corners make it hard. Gotta find the good ones and make friend with them...Send them christmas cards and stuff...

17. May 16, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    David Tarantino

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    i like to get free stuff :D

18. May 16, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    rngrchad

rngrchad Yankee Oscar Tango Alpha

Member:
    The former USA now USSA (United States Socialst Am
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail TRD
    Rockwell 30 ton axles.
    Can I RE-REMIND you all that this thread is about rear shock bolts. Not about a SS bolt into Aluminum or a stretch head bolt.

19. May 16, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    rngrchad

rngrchad Yankee Oscar Tango Alpha

Member:
    The former USA now USSA (United States Socialst Am
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail TRD
    Rockwell 30 ton axles.
    Oh jeez. Your making me sad.

20. May 16, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Sure...And Then i'll point you at the thread that Chris posted regarding the potential for an accident should you lose a shock due to improper installation.

There are spec and standards for a reason.

PS- Don't be sad- This is just the internets. I'm sure no one knows who you are or where you work-so you shouldn't lose any business or anything...

Products Discussed in

To Top