1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shocks for best ride

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by meemomiller, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Oct 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    meemomiller

meemomiller [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2012 sr5 4x4 v6 double cab
    I have been trying to find out what i need to do, i have a 2012 tacoma double cab and i am wanting to put an aggressive tire on, but all good aggressive tread tires are 6 ply and cause a rougher ride. What can i do to improve ride with a 6 ply tire? Looking at changing shocks.

2. Oct 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    austinramsay

austinramsay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Yuma, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5
    Camburg racing L/T kit :D ha no you can just get 5100s if you dont plan on doing serious offroading. Search and youll find a bunch of crap on them haha

3. Oct 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Why do you assume 'all good aggressive tread tires' cause a rougher ride?
    Are you doing it for looks for performance?
    What tires are you considering?

4. Oct 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    mtwil9

mtwil9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 F&R Eibach at .85 with top plate spacer, 1.5 AAL,LR UCA's Tinted Windows, Weathertech Floormats, Ultra Gauge, 20" light bar behind grill
    I had toyo mt's on my last vehicle and they rode very well and lasted even better. By far the best m/t I have ever experienced. Also had 5100s. Now I have 5100's with eibachs on my 2012 dcsb and the ride is incredible better than stock.

5. Nov 1, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    meemomiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    The reason i assume that the more aggrassive tread tire's cause rougher ride is because i ran 265/70/17's on my 08 sierra 4x4 short bed. The ride was harsh and alot more of the smaller bumps that i didn't feel with 4 ply tires, i felt with the 6 ply. My toyota is 5 inch's longer than my sierra and the wheel base is 8 inch's longer than the sierra. I hadn't picked a tire to run other than the General grabber at2's which come in 4 ply, but i would like to run a cooper discover at or st or mickey thompson tires. I mostly run highway but i have a mowing business and i have to go to some rough places, that most won't go. I need a good aggressive tire when i go hunting or fishing as well, but would also like to have a decent ride on the road since my job is about 50 miles round trip daily.

6. Nov 1, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    meemomiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    On my sierra i ran bf goodrich ta ko's 6 ply

7. Nov 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    I hit the NFS trails and unimproved roads every weekend. My Michelin LTX AT2's are P-Metric, not LT.
    They ride very nicely, almost no noise, and have resisited punctures and sidewall failures for the last 50k miles (hope I didn't jinx myself).
    I have owned Michelin tires on my last 3 trucks/SUV's and they just own the market.
    Lots of people on this and other Toyota forums buy tires for looks.
    That's not why I buy tires.

8. Nov 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    :stayontopic:

Are we talking tires or shocks here? Am curious too about shocks. It seems the cushiest ride would be stock, then OME, then Eiback/Billies combo, then Billies by themselves. I could be wrong on this though, as I have 0 experience with anything but non-TRD PreRunner suspension.

9. Nov 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 GO VOLS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    OP. i’m running the nitto terra in LT 265/75R16 in load rang E. and i think the ride is great. and a lot better over the stock rugged fails. sorry i mean trails. they wear a P rated tire. IMO get a good tire in a 265/70 or 75 and see how you like it. all trucks/suv’s will ride different with the same tire.

10. Nov 2, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Defroster mod, Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    Sure the tires may be harsh but I just noticed you have an SR5 like me. Let me tell you from experience, the stock Tokico shocks that come on the SR5 are some kind of sick joke. Seriously they are like cruel and unusual punishment. I think the CIA switched over from waterboards to Tokico shock absorbers! :D

Do you and your neck a good deed and get some Bilsteins. I did and consider that the best mod I ever did to my Taco. I'm only kicking myself because I went through 3 years of torture before it donned on me what the problem was.

To Top