1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shooting close to my house... your expert thoughts?

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by CNEDEER, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    CNEDEER

CNEDEER [OP] If ya ain't first, your last!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC 4WD
    So there was a shooting probably about 20 minutes from my house on friday night that killed one person. The general southern part of the county in which I live is a very rural and low crime area, so this really has been bothering me.

Story below:

NEW RUSSIA TWP. — Nine hundred dollars was stolen when armed men descended on a Russia Road home late Friday night and exchanged gunfire with the resident, killing the man’s brother, according to a sheriff’s report.
    Stephen Mihalak Jr., 46, who suffered a fatal wound to the chest, is not believed to be the target of the robbery because he was just visiting the home of his brother, Donald, according to sheriff’s Sgt. Donald Barker.
    Barker said it is unknown why the assailants would have targeted Donald Mihalak, 32, who was shot in the hand during the incident reported at 11:58 p.m. Friday at his home at 45609 Russia Road.

“The victim said he doesn’t know these people,” Barker said.
    Donald Mihalak declined to comment for this story, saying “If they catch the guy who murdered my brother, I’ll be glad to give you a report.”
    A third brother, Bruce Mihalak, said the family views Stephen Mihalak as a hero.
    “He was a good father, a good brother, and in my opinion he’s the reason that I don’t have to deal with a bunch of loved ones that I had to bury,” Bruce Mihalak said.
    Bruce Mihalak said he knew money was stolen from Donald, but he wasn’t sure how much was taken. He also said the attacker was not known to the family.
    The incident report stated that a Draco AK-47 was recovered at the scene.
    Barker said the gun was reportedly fired at the attackers during the incident.
    Bruce Mihalak’s fiancee and two young children were at home at the time, and Stephen had planned to go hunting Saturday, Bruce Mihalak said.
    Barker said deputies spoke briefly to Donald Mihalak and planned to talk to him again if medical treatment issues do not stand in the way.
    When asked if the neighborhood should be concerned, Barker replied, “I think they will be worried because it happened in that neighborhood, but I don’t think it was random.”
    Barker declined to say how many assailants were involved, saying “I really don’t want to go into the facts and circumstances.”
    Meanwhile, a distraught woman who identified herself as Donald Mihalak’s fiancee can be heard on a 911 tape directing authorities to the home and saying “Get into the house! They’re turning back!”
    Barker said the sedan carrying the assailant or assailants apparently paused while leaving the scene, leading her to fear the gunman or gunmen were returning.
    An incident report stated that Nicole Karbowniczek, 28, lives at the home and was a witness.
    She also did not return a phone call for comment.
    On the 911 tape, Karbowniczek can be heard begging for help, saying “my fiance is shot and so is my brother-in-law.”
    Also making 911 calls were neighbors including a woman who said “It sounded like there were a lot of gunshots” and a man who said he heard “a bunch of screaming” including the comment “He’s bleeding from the mouth

I am studying criminal justice currently, so I can't help but speculate on this. The guy says he didn't know the assailants, maybe, maybe not. My thing is, I don't believe it to be random given. The guy also had $900 on him??? Who has that kind of cash on them?? Another story I read stated that the suspect came to the door and told the person who answered that someone needed to see him outside? (Why would anyone in their right mind step outside if they didn't have a clue what was going on). Then the one victim comes with an AK 47? Obviously people are allowed to own those and can use them to protect themselves, but seems a little fishy to me. News said the victims have no prior records. And no one seems to know who the suspects were...theres gotta be more to it.

Anyways, just curious as to what your law enforcement opinion is on this? Random or not? My guess is some sort of drug deal gone bad ?

2. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Drop it Drop it Low

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN140
    Magnaflow custom cat back. 5/6 drop with:Beefed Weld in Notch, 3 Inch blocks, Qa1 plates. QA1 racing coilover modified to fit Tacoma. Toxic rear shocks and OEM prerunner leaf springs with middle spring removed. K&N drop in filter
    i dont think ive ever lived in a place where there weren't murder shootings within 20 mins

3. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    You never know what people are doing behind closed doors

Sounds like a dope deal gone bad or some sort of back door loan with failure to make payments etc

4. Nov 15, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    CNEDEER

CNEDEER [OP] If ya ain't first, your last!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC 4WD
    If you go on the other half of the county, then yea, shootings all the time. But the southern half is very rural with very little crime so to me it's a bit uneasy to hear such so close. Yea to me 20 mins is close...

5. Nov 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    This.

6. Nov 16, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Stop staring at me swan!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Western NC
    yes. i would think it is the same thing as well.

7. Nov 16, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Doublecab 4x4 IRP
    Lifetime LED 70W headlights 10-8-14 (set #2) Sylvania Silverstar fogs, front side windows tinted 27% to match the others, added Tacomaworld.com sticker, suspension TSB as of 7-21-09, Devil Horns by Andres, BFG's, Alpine with Bluetooth and Ipod contols, Rear view mirror relocation bracket, Ultragauge...

It's not as bad as it seems...

8. Nov 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Doublecab 4x4 IRP
    Lifetime LED 70W headlights 10-8-14 (set #2) Sylvania Silverstar fogs, front side windows tinted 27% to match the others, added Tacomaworld.com sticker, suspension TSB as of 7-21-09, Devil Horns by Andres, BFG's, Alpine with Bluetooth and Ipod contols, Rear view mirror relocation bracket, Ultragauge...

although I carry wherever I go around here, even to work. :)

9. Nov 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    X2 No one robs a home with the occupants inside, Drugs deal gone bad.

10. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    tigerfan00

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    [​IMG]

11. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota AKA Crash Bandicoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Clemson,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AND 82' Toyota P/U 4wd
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
  12. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    Apple X C0re

Apple X C0re Atomic Punk

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Franklin, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    De-badged, MetalMiller grille emblem, brush guard, K&N Intake, Thrush tube, Black euro tail lights, Various scratches, Cobra 29LTD CB with custom echo board, 10" sony subwoofer with MTX amp, Black low-profile tool box, 5% tint all around.
    People get murdered here, but they never find the bodies because they drag them into the woods..

13. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    oh to be so naive...

14. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    There's more to the story than has been reported, guaranteed.

15. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    achirdo

achirdo First Class White Trash

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Im guessing drug deal gonr bad too.

If your worried about it just keep your guns close by and just be smart about situations, dont go blindly walking into senarios like that. Signs that say you are armed and will use your guns tend to scary people away too.

16. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    Apple X C0re

Apple X C0re Atomic Punk

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Franklin, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    De-badged, MetalMiller grille emblem, brush guard, K&N Intake, Thrush tube, Black euro tail lights, Various scratches, Cobra 29LTD CB with custom echo board, 10" sony subwoofer with MTX amp, Black low-profile tool box, 5% tint all around.
    Unless they think they have bigger guns. :p

17. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    haha sorry, but for some reason this comment made me laugh. It makes me picture the Hills have Eyes or something

18. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    tigerfan00

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    typically you're not gonna have an incident like this over meth

They usually like to keep to themselves, and openly share how to cook it so they dont have to bother with dealing to others

19. Nov 16, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    I find this very interesting. I was not aware of this. I guess my meth experience in based on "Breaking Bad".

20. Nov 17, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ProComp 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Dynomax catback, Weathertech liners,Toyota bed mat, Silverstar Ultra's, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's,bedlights and other small stuff.
    My guess there is more to the story. I hunt and it might be different in Ohio, but in Fl a hunting rifle can't hold more than 5 rounds. Plus, who hunts with an AK47? Second, who has $900 handy to just hand someone incase of a robbery?

To Top