1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shopping for Pressure Washer and Cleaning supplies

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Junior314, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Jun 24, 2018 at 4:48 PM
    Junior314

Junior314 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM OR DC/SB
    Cosmetic.
    So was thinking of grabbing this... On sale right now for $69 w/ coupon. Is a higher end pressure washer worth it simply for washing a truck? Do I need to get anything else to go with it?

In the past all I have used to clean my vehicles was a hose, meguiars and a sponge. The taco is my first new truck and when I wash it I want to do it proper. Best stuff to buy when cleaning the truck?

2. Jun 25, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    I think a pressure washer is really far down on the priority list when you are trying to build your arsenal for proper washing.

You need two buckets with grit gaurds

Microfiber wash mits (never use sponges)

A quality set of microfiber or waffle weave drying towels

Clay bar kit

Sealer of your choice

Wheel cleaner with wheel brushes

Interior cleaning products

Another set of microfiber towels for interior cleaning products

I can think of $500 worth of stuff that comes before buying a pressure washer LOL.
    Plus the only reason to have a pressure washer is to run a foam cannon and that one might not have the GPM output to get you good foam.
    I see no point in getting a pressure washer if you don’t have a foam cannon. They don’t help you clean the truck.

I’d spend money on other stuff first. Then if you have cash go for a pressure washer and foam cannon (just FYI foam cannons cost more than that washer).

Taco47, 9TRDTCO, dc52nv and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jun 29, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
  4. Jun 29, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    If you plan on using it to JUST wash your truck, a pressure washer isn't a worthwhile investment. If you plan on using it to wash your truck, your house, your sidewalk, your deck, etc. then you want to buy a better grade of PW than a cheap HF unit.

$0.02

Edit- For instance, I bought this unit when I got mine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1-600-PSI-1-2-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY141600/205566079

It's twice the price but it's a name brand, parts are available, and has a 3 year warranty. It works great for a basic unit and has given me zero problems in the two years I've owned it so far, and I've used it on literally EVERYTHING around my property. Decks, picnic table, vinyl siding, concrete steps, the garage floor, stripping paint from my shed, trucks, tractors, boats, etc.

5. Jun 29, 2018 at 10:34 AM
    FortuneFavorstheBruin

FortuneFavorstheBruin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Off-Road
    Pressure Washer is so unnecessary if you're just going to be washing a truck.

However if you vehemently disagree with that opinion and are hellbent on buying a pressure washer for whatever reason, then yes it is absolutely worth it to not buy one from Harbor Freight.

6. Jun 29, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    DubfromGA

DubfromGA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black SR5 4WD
    I guess there are different strokes for different folks.....not knocking other folks opinions......just gonna pass along what's been working for me.

I grabbed a similar electric the week I bought my truck.

I picked up a foam cannon from Amazon at that same time.

I use the foam cannon followed by pressure washer to knock off all the visible grime. This gets the truck clean....sometimes clean enough to leave as is for the week. (I wash it every week).

On the washes that I use the two-bucket method (with grit catchers in the bottom of the buckets) I also do the above method first.

Microfiber clothes and mitts are all that's used. They get washed in the clothes washer after each use, too.

I've since bought a gas pressure washer with a Honda motor. There were some initial problems with the supplied quick connect and I replaced it and have been amazed at the difference. I use a 40 degree (white) tip and the debris comes off much easier now than it did with the electric. The extra flow rate (GPM) is the ticket. It flushes the junk off much better.

This morning, in under 25 mins (including set-up & take-down time) I washed my wife's car and my Tacoma. Foam cannon + Pressure washer rinse.

I highly recommend getting a pressure washer......and a gas model with a 2.0+ GPM flow rate if you can.

I drive a black truck......and there are no swirl marks. I'll continue using the pressure washer as the first step and hopefully keep it swirl free.

For products.....I've been having great results with Chemical Guys stuff. I tend to wait until they run sales to place my orders (usually at each holiday....probably a big sale coming this weekend).

Good luck.

Having a pressure washer has been a good thing to have. I hit the driveway, house, deck and etc whenever I think it needs it. The only downside of having one is that neighbors will be wanting to borrow it all the time, lol.

7. Aug 12, 2018 at 2:10 AM
    Kirbstomp1287

Kirbstomp1287 @MilSpecTaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17’ Inferno SR5 V6 DCSB XP
    I have to agree with you. Like you said "different strokes for different folks", I don't think buying a pressure washer is a bad investment at all. The amount of contaminents a pressure washer (and a foam cannon) can remove from the paint before you even touch the vehicle with any kind of microfiber mit or towel will help save the paint and will keep you from having to decontaminate (clay bar / iron remover) as often.

I am slightly bias because I like detailing as a hobby and do both my truck and my wifes car as well as some close friends vehicles for some side cash for truck parts, but having a pressure washer makes things a hell of a lot easier, quicker, and safer for the paint.

Just my .02

To go with the OP's original post, I know a few people that have the HF pressure washer and its not that great. If your using it for very light work it will do, but if you plan on using it for anything other than just washing your vehicles, I would invest in somthing a little nicer to be able to do more jobs they are ever needed. I actually use an Electric Ryobi one I got from Home Depot that works really well and I think I bought it for about $150. Obviously gas powered ones are king but unless your using it all the time I couldn't justify paying $300+ for one.

DubfromGA[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Sep 17, 2018 at 6:48 AM
    Silentwolf

Silentwolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    Cruise Control,Led Reverse lights, Weathertech mudflaps, Weathertech headlight protectors,Lund stepbar, Interior Leds, AVS Hoodflector, AVS In-Channel Ventvisor, aFe Pro DRY S airfilter, K & N cabin airfilter, A/C drain valve, Mostplus Led Headlights
    The electric Greenworks ones are good. I have the 1600 great for the truck. Also does good on driveway and fence.

Products Discussed in

To Top