1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shorten my truck!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RickDC, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Jun 12, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    Well there you go, we've solved it! Superstar!

2. Jun 12, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Surely there's gotta be someone out there with a 2012 DC shortbed that wishes they bought a longbed. Just do a swap.

3. Jun 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    So painful

4. Jun 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Trade it in for a regular cab is the only way I see it fitting in there!

5. Jun 13, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    RickDC

RickDC [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Tacoma 4LV6 Long Box
    Rhino side bars, stealthed toyota badges, 3" level kit, Goodyear Territory MT tires and XD black wheels
    Thanks for all your suggestions!! :)

You're right HOA (or Strata as it is here in BC), is a PITA, but as I was on one once, I can't really complain too much... having a note through the door about parking at an angle on the driveway (with 1 wheel on the road) threatening a $200 fine, and then getting my truck towed last night and that costing $150.. I'm just going to rip the drywall off and remove studs... It's probably the easiest solution - I definitely don't want to sell my truck, deprecation and mods :-(

I did try the trig trick, that wouldn't have worked as the garage isn't high enough (the garage is underneath the house)... that was one of my first ideas!

Parking at a diagonal in the garage also works as I have 2" all the way round, but then my gf can't park and there's no room.

Thank you all for your hints and suggestions, very much appreciated and it's great to see a thriving community board.. I had a Tundra before this and was on the forums there, won some truck of the months... :)

6. Jun 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    That right there would provide the answer for me. Move! Bunch of dick-headed busy bodies who have nothing better than cause grief for someone who obviously is doing the best they can. I'd be going through the agreement in the meantime with a fine tooth comb, and taking every single rule to the limit just to make their miserable lives painfully miserable. "Grass must not be longer than 1 3/4 inch". I'd have a ruler in the back yard so I could track it, and wait until it was as close to the limit as possible before cutting it. But not the front yard, so the Strata Nazi would have to keep coming over and measuring it, because it looked close to the limit. And if it didn't take too much time out of my day, (or maybe I'd do this for my morning cardio), I'd set my lawnmower height at 1 3/4" and cut it every day. Vehicle must be parked x inches from the road? Set up a marker at the front of the driveway, so when you park, you are EXACTLY that far away. Rules on lawn gnomes? Get the exact number you're allowed. Rules are there to prevent people from being a nuisance, like those who never cut the grass, or don't give a crap about the neighbours so park any way they want, making it difficult to get around the neighbourhood. They aren't there to make sure you toe the line, and if despite your best efforts you are .0001" out of the range, take away your money. Sorry for the rant. We've got some busy bodies here making peoples lives miserable.

You need to think outside the box...erm, garage. Build a skylight in the garage. That way, you can keep an eye on your truck at night without leaving the house!

7. Jun 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    OP , please make sure you aren't pulling out any studs from a point load or bearing wall BEFORE you " just start ripping out studs "

8. Jun 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    and then take pics:D

9. Jun 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Honestly, tearing a wall apart would be my last option.

10. Jun 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Why? Framing and drywall is easy to work with and inexpensive. Even if it is a load bearing wall -- in which case, support the load with a scaffold, cut the studs out, put in a composite 2x8 beam across the top and drop a couple of 4x4's. After that's done, just build a new partition offset several inches, drywall, gup, sand, and paint.

This is just a weekend project, for the INEXPERIENCED.

11. Jun 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    and possibly have to move electrical wiring and communications cables to gain 3"

12. Jun 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    LOL the 'inexperienced' would have no idea what you just said.

13. Jun 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Well hopefully there isnt much to move...
    Thats the reason I give them a whole weekend.

14. Jun 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Ya , probably not much electrical to move , you're right Knuckledragger

15. Jun 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    So youre thinking main panel.
    I'm thinking that without looking at his garage, he might just have an oct box with 3 wires in it.

16. Jun 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Pap's solution is the easiest

Besides , your suggestion to support the ceiling with a " scaffold " in order to remove the studs only works in some cases depending on how the framing was done , certainly not if any of the studs or build up is supporting a point load from above , but determining that is probably a job for the inexperienced too

17. Jun 13, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
  18. Jun 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Bobbing a brand new truck just to fit in the garage seems kinda extreme , no ?

Maybe that's just me

19. Jun 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Why would you ever have an octagon box down at bumper level ? Octagon boxes are generally for sconces .

20. Jun 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    The title asked for shortening truck, not making garage larger. ;)

I'm being a smartass...

Products Discussed in

To Top