1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shorter shift lever by Coupe

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by holyfield19, May 5, 2012.

1. May 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 [OP] GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD SR5 Sport 4X4
    LED lights inside and out,weathertech floor covers/window visors, 18" XD Monsters, 285/65 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Lifted, debadged, Black billet grille with 4" light inserts. 10 disc cd changer. scanguage II. black tail lights, black headlights w/ retro murimotos. wet okoles up front. URD SS, and throw out bearing. USA Spec iPod adapter. OME full lift kit w/ Dakars. ATO shackle flip. Light Racing UCA's. Flyzeye V2W.
    I had wanted to modify my shifter in my 6 speed for a shorter throw, so I purchased a Short Shift kit from URD. The SS was great, but my stock shift lever was worn out. The rubber bushing inside the two piece shifter had degraded to the point where you could wobble it really bad while it was in gear. I had done some searching around to see if anything could be done about this, and stumbled upon the X-runner forum and a member named Coupe. He had a thread on the XR-U for his modified shifters that was very detailed with great pictures, and step by step instructions. He is also a member on TW, by the same name, so I contaced him to ask some questions about his mod. After realizing that purchasing most of the materials for the mod would probably run me somewhere around $100, I decided to buy one directly from him. He charges $120 shipped plus your stock shifter in return. I thought this was a good deal, and turned out to be so. The shifter I recieved from him was cut down to 9 1/2", and solid as a rock, with little transmission noise coming through the lever. Now with the URD SS and one of Coupe's shifters, my truck drives/shifts like a dream. This combination cut my shifter throw to less than half of what it was! There are no issues with rough shifts, or hard gears to catch (like reverse). All gears catch perfectly crisp. If your shifter is sloppy, and you would like to experience clean gear engagement again, look up Coupe. He has a few different kinds of modded levers to choose from, so take your pick. Very easy to do bussiness with, and a great product. Thank you to Coupe.

2. May 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan Mathis
    Lives: Fountain, Colorado/Home: Leesburg, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    already did this and i suggest this to anyone that has a 6spd

3. May 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 [OP] GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD SR5 Sport 4X4
    LED lights inside and out,weathertech floor covers/window visors, 18" XD Monsters, 285/65 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Lifted, debadged, Black billet grille with 4" light inserts. 10 disc cd changer. scanguage II. black tail lights, black headlights w/ retro murimotos. wet okoles up front. URD SS, and throw out bearing. USA Spec iPod adapter. OME full lift kit w/ Dakars. ATO shackle flip. Light Racing UCA's. Flyzeye V2W.
    bump for a slight title change. (thanks 98tacoma27).

4. May 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    Thanks Guys!

5. May 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    Here is a link to the original write-up.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31063

I can do this mod with a TRD SS and a B&M.
    This pic shows an array of shifters.

[​IMG]
    From left to right,

8 1/2" OEM mod, 8 1/2" OEM mod, 9 1/2 OEM mod, 9 1/2 TRD SS, 9 1/2 TRD SS, 9 1/2 B&M.

6. Jul 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    Tandum

Tandum Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Fremont, california
    Vehicle:
    3" Leveled '06 4L prerunner
    JBA headers with a complete magnaflow custom exhaust out the sides, dever 10 pack leafs with Donahoe resivor shocks in the back, just spaced in the front until I can afford coil overs. Sits on 33" tires on MT wheels
    This is a great mod for the 6 speed Tacoma, I just installed a TRD ss that was rebuilt and trimmed down. WOW, a short throw, no play, and solid hook ups in every gear. This is one of the best things I've done to my truck. Very cost effective.
    Thanks Coupe

7. Aug 1, 2012 at 2:30 AM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    Sounds good.
    Was toying with the idea of sending him a couple stock shifters off some 1st gens.He hasn't done any for older tacomas yet.

To Top