1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shorty antenna? Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by jnewman44, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Jun 21, 2016 at 8:53 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
  2. Jun 28, 2016 at 2:28 AM
    jnewman44

jnewman44 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 Gray Tacoma 2 WD TRD Sport Long Bed
    Weathertec floormats and Undercover SE Tonneau cover are about all I've been able to afford. (:
  3. Jun 30, 2016 at 10:38 AM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
    Well, my 13" Antenna X was working great until I put on a 50" radius light bar.

Now.... not so much.

Gonna do what this guy did:

NMTrailRider likes this.
  4. Jul 3, 2016 at 1:21 PM
    wudbuchr

wudbuchr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Linnie
    Lexington, TN
    Vehicle:
    2016 (7128A) BBP 4x2 - TRD Sport Access Cab
    * Clear Bra (full front) * BBP (8T0) Side Body Molding * Tinted Windows with AWS window shades * Romik Running Boards * Color matched Undercover Lux bed cap and BedRug bed liner * MobTown Locking bed storage doors, Tailgate skin and cap * Chrome Tailgate Script lettering * G-Tec Fab Door Sill Protectors and OEM Mud Guards * Fumoto Valve * ScanGauge-II * LED Interior, Stop, tail, Bed, OPT7 LED H11 low beam and fog lights * WeatherTech floor mats * Clazzio seat Covers * Removed jump-seats & rear seat-belts * Sound deadened back wall, rear posts, rear doors and front doors with a layer of RAAMmat, a layer of Ensolite, and a layer of EzCool * Insulated the roof with two layers of EzCool * GT series Image Dynamics speakers (6x9 fronts, 6.5 rears) * Audio Control DQ-61 DSP, 5-channel amplifier and sub woofer. * Redline Tuning Quick Lift Elite hood struts * Thinkware F770 (Dual) Dashcam with Cellink Battery B * Lexus SmartKey Transmitter and Emergency Key
    I cut the OEM antenna on my 2012 PreRunner off even with the top of the windshield
    and it worked as good as the original. Being careful not to bend the wire wrapping
    around the staff, I wound electrical tape around the antenna where I wanted to make
    my cut then took a good pair of wire cutters and cut the antenna staff. Once the staff
    was shortened, I cut the wire around the antenna about an eighth of an inch shorter
    than the staff and filed the edges of the staff smooth. I then twisted off the tiny ball
    on the antenna top and glued it to the shortened antenna top using Gorilla glut. As
    you file the antenna top, be sure to taper it so it will receive the ball. Once the glue
    has dried, spray the finished product with black Kyrlon paint. WaLa, you have a
    shortened antenna with reception on par with the original length.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  5. Jul 7, 2016 at 8:58 AM
    hitech

hitech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Just some dumb regular crap everyone else has
    I did what wudbuchr did. I cut my OEM one down, put a little rubber cap on top (with superglue) and the reception is great. My antenna is probably 13-14" tall and works great - didn't cost me anything.

6. Jul 18, 2016 at 9:37 PM
    UTdez23

UTdez23 Half Baked Dez Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 SR5 DCLB
    Bilstein 5100's front & rear, Eibach 620 lb Coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, Rear Diff Breather Mod, All Pro Sliders, RCI IFS Skid
    I have the Antenna X 5" eurostyle.. It's fine. Like everyone else, hated it catching every tree branch, etc. so opted to get a shorter one. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, make sure you remove it prior to entering an auto car wash. Learned the hard way with my first one.. forgot to remove it, broke off and left behind the threaded piece in the oem base. After unsuccessfully trying to drill it out with an extraction bit and other various attempts, I was in a $350 hole from the dealership to replace the whole base. Ugh. If I would have used the search function here better in the first place, would have cut the oem one, recapped it and called it a day. Good suggestion!

7. Jul 18, 2016 at 10:45 PM
    Cyborg

Cyborg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Florida
    just a word of caution for those of you using the antenna x, be careful removing it. I went to remove mine when I sold my truck and the hardware they provided sheared off when I went to unscrew it, leaving half of the screw in the antenna socket. I didn't really care since I was selling the truck anyways, but if you ever plan on removing it, do so with caution! they hardware they provide is cheap and brittle.

8. Aug 4, 2016 at 1:54 PM
    CM2 TT

CM2 TT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anybody tried actually getting a longer antenna and then using a clip to tuck it down when going into garages?

9. Aug 4, 2016 at 1:59 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    Full length CB antenna users and amateur radio operators use clips similar to this to hold down long whips. Maybe this helps with an idea?

P1010465-vi.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top