1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shotgun advice..??

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by sandman427, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    coo.. i really appreciate all the info fellas... this def makes it easier...

2. Sep 20, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Super Shorty...google it.

3. Sep 20, 2009 at 12:42 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I recommend an AA12 ... haha

4. Sep 20, 2009 at 6:28 PM
    AVTOMAT

AVTOMAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DBL Cab Super White
    De-badge.Pro Comp 7089.White front emblem.AFE pro dry air filter.Full Wet Okole covers.The rest in progress pending research
    If it hangs at all send it to Remington....

5. Sep 21, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    jpg366

jpg366 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5
    Mossberg 12 has twin action bars, reliable. Older Rem 870's have just one, recent ones have two. I prefer the top tang safety of the Mossberg, but you may like the trigger guard button on the Remington. For home defense, I suggest small bird shot - less likely to penetrate several walls and hit friends and neighbors. I suggest a single action revolver for a first time pistol buyer. Simple, rugged, and no surprises.

6. Sep 21, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    The End

The End Support our troops!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    I got a breaching modified M500 and I love it. Depends on what you're using it for. The 870 is a really nice gun too. Find someone to let you shoot both and pick the one you like more.

P.S. If someone hasn't said it yet, check out the Beretta Xtrema2 on youtube.

7. Sep 26, 2009 at 9:10 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    Ive finally decided... Im going with mossberg the only thing is can anyone tell me what the real difference is between the 500 and the 590A other than the barrel size....???

8. Sep 26, 2009 at 9:26 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    from wiki

The primary difference between the Model 500 and Model 590 is in magazine tube design. The Model 500 magazines are closed at the muzzle end, and the barrel is held in place by bolting into a threaded hole at the end of the magazine tube. Model 590 magazines are open at the end, and the barrels fit around the magazine tube and are held on by a nut at the end. The Model 500 magazine facilitates easy barrel changes, as the barrel bolt serves no function other than holding the barrel in place. The Model 590 magazine facilitates easy cleaning and parts replacement, as removing the nut allows removal of the magazine spring and follower.

The Model 590A1 is a Model 590 with an aluminium trigger guard and safety, and a heavier barrel, intended for military use under extreme conditions and rough handling; the metal trigger guard was added in response to the 3443G materials requirements, and the heavy barrel was added at the request of the Navy. The 590A1 is generally sold through military and law enforcement channels, though in most jurisdictions the 18.5-inch (47 cm) and 20-inch (51 cm) models may be legally purchased by private persons. 590A1s with 14" barrels are Title II firearms, and may be purchased by private persons in NFA-legal states. [2][3]

The riot gun versions of the Model 500 (Persuader and Mariner) are available with an 18.5-inch (47 cm) and 20-inch (51 cm) barrel depending on magazine capacity. The 590 is only available with a 20-inch (510 mm) barrel and flush-fit magazine tube. The 590A1 is available with a 14-inch (36 cm), 18.5-inch, or 20-inch (510 mm) barrel. One model sold as Model 590 (catalog item 51663) is technically a 590A1, as it uses the heavy barrel and military trigger group, but unlike models designated 590A1 it is sold on the civilian market.
    Unlike Model 500 and 590 shotguns (with the exception of ghost-ring sight 590 models), Model 590A1 shotguns cannot be easily fitted with the factory heat shield, due to the heavy barrel. A heat shield and bayonet lug are required for military 3443G Type I riot shotguns,[2] and some 590A1s are so equipped, but it is not clear if the 590A1 heat shields have ever been offered for sale outside of the military market.

one thing ive recently learned...that may make a difference to someone when comparing a mossberg 500/590 and a remington 870...if you took 5 of each shotgun...tore them down COMPLETELY...and mixed all the parts up...you could assemble 5 functional remingtons...but the mossbergs have parts in them that are gun-specific...meaning they arent interchangable even on the same model gun...

im not sure WHICH parts though

9. Sep 26, 2009 at 10:32 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    what would u prefer between the 500/590 and y..?? I guess i wanted some opinions on the 2 as well and thanks for the info....

10. Sep 26, 2009 at 10:33 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    6 of one half dozen of the other far as im concerned...

i have a 500 with an 18.5" barrel...pistol grip...adjustable stock...and i have a 590A1 witha 14" barrel and speed feed stock

i prefer shooting the 590A1 but a 500 is a bit more economical i think

11. Sep 26, 2009 at 10:36 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    How is the kick back on the 2... And since im a first time shotgun buyer what would be a good choice on my part..?? sorry for the newb questions

12. Sep 26, 2009 at 10:38 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    no worries

i honestly cant compare the 2 as far as kick goes

i shoot different rounds out of each

they are probably pretty close as the weight of the 590 eats some of the kick gained by the short barrel

13. Sep 26, 2009 at 10:40 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    how easy is it to change the magazine barrels on the 500..??

14. Sep 26, 2009 at 10:41 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    no idea

i dont work on mine...i can field strip them to clean them and thats about it

15. Sep 26, 2009 at 10:45 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    right on... I think im pretty sure im gonna go with the 500 just cuz it comes with all the cool perks like retractible stock that holsters the shells as well... i felt that the pistol grip with the stock was more controllable to be honest... but then again I'm a newb lol.. thanks again for ya help boss....

16. Sep 27, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    The End

The End Support our troops!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    I can tell you the kick on my 500 is really not that bad. I shot skeet with one hand one time just to see if I could do it, but I do have a pistol grip.

17. Sep 27, 2009 at 11:07 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    i finally made my choice i just bought the mossberg 500... its 6 plus 1 rounds... adjustable stock with pistol grip... i figured that i would go with the massberg just cuz they interchange things real easily.... Next on my list is a nice hand gun and off to the range i go... Or desert depending on hoe lazy i am lol....

18. Oct 6, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Kick also depends on the round. Slugs more than 00, 00 more than birdshot. And then there are "low kick" styles in 00.

Anyway, I have an 870, bought used for $150, works great. Ditto someone else about aftermarket add-on availability.

Personally, I'd take a Sig, but I'm biased - I got mine by inheritance. The P229 (and maybe others) are available in different calibers. I'm pretty sure you can buy a barrel additionally, and swap out the .40 and .357Sig barrels while keeping the rest of the parts the same.

After having treated a cop that shot off his testicles (no joke), I'm staying away from Glocks.

19. Oct 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Wow that's terrible... I'm still up in the air with handguns... I got the moseberg... And Im gonna pick it up today... I have a new question is the differnece in rounds for a shotgun.. I know there is game rounds and normal buckshots... Do u know the differnce in the Rounds other than the "kick" in it..?? Sorry again for the newb questions lol... Also what is "00 buck" ??

20. Oct 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    A shotgun shell contains the two big components: the explosive part and the actual lead shot that you use to hit stuff.

The shot comes in various sizes. A bigger number is smaller shot. So 00 is called buckshot because you can go kill deer with it. 08 birdshot has a bunch of tiny pellets.

The larger the shot, the fewer shot you have in one shell. So if you're shooting birdshot, the net blast might have less oomph but you're spraying more shot.

Typically you use pretty small shot for skeet and trap shooting, #7,#8,#9, but it might not do as much damage to say, an intruder.

I've read mixed reviews on home defense shot. 00 buckshot will kill somebody and potentially go through your walls. I've heard of people favoring #4 as striking a balance between keeping what you spray inside your house and stopping power.

Products Discussed in

To Top