1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should he be fired or not?

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by coffeesnob, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Another reason I dont like politicians. I bet if he would have written him the ticket for 87 he would have complained about that and how he was treated wrong for being a lawmaker!! Troopers have the right to give out warnings so he def should not have lost his job.

2. T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    +2 full agreement. This would have been the flip side of the officer following written policy and being a hardass and giving the politician the ticket for speeding and one for no proof of insurance that he deserved. He woulda been crying a different tune about it being unfair.

3. DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Exactly. :mad:

4. taco terror

taco terror got 5VZFE?

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    East Carolina!
    Vehicle:
    1996 4WD, best year evar!
    K&N intake, Flowmaster dual exhaust, Pioneer radio, American Racing wheels, fully aftermarket lights, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Wheelers 5 leaf pack, Line-X bed liner
    we should fire that politician.

5. dan33900

dan33900 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maumelle, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB 4X4 MGM
  6. CanisLupus

CanisLupus Previously "MGMTacoFF"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4WD
    - Click Signature for Build Thread -
    No. The article stated he did the same thing for another driver and he never mentioned that he was giving the politician a break just because he was a lawmaker. Police officers have a pretty wide amount of discretion in dealing with tickets/crimes. Firing the Trooper seems a little extreme.

Matt

7. anarion55

anarion55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    S. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner SR5
    ImMrYo's Mirror Mod, Stereo Upgrade - Power Pro 60x4 Amp/Kicker powered 8" sub/Pioneer component speakers, PassPort 8500 Radar Detector, Locking Bed Storage Cubbies, Onboard air system - Viair 450C compressor/3 gal. PVC tank/15 & 16" horns,
    Choosing to cite or warn is at the discretion of the officer. Even if it was deemed preferential treatment, dismissal is too severe; short suspension, perhaps? Administrative duty? Of course, that's based on the officer having a good record prior to this incident.

8. Jetman1979

Jetman1979 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma 4X4
    No he should not be fired. Think about it if it was you he gave a break to you would thank your lucky stars. I have gotten breaks we all do.

9. TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Wildwood, MO
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Off Road Magnetic Gray
    Factory Roof Rack, Westin Tube Steps, AVS Bugflector and Wind Deflectors, RideRite Air Bags, Custom Bed Rack, CVT Roof-Top Tent, Weathertech Floor Mats, Redline Hood Supports, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Lock, some stickers
    In 30 years of driving, I have received 2 speeding tickets. I have been stopped for speeding maybe 8 - 10 times. If you are not a repeat offender with a lot of tickets and act respectful, I have to think that you have a really good chance of getting off with just a warning.

I can understand the lawmaker wanting to make sure that there was not even the appearance of preferential treatment because of his position, but termination is extreme in this case. If he were a real man, he'd insist that he get ticketed and pay the fine. But, he's a lawyer, probably not even human.

10. taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    Silver Taco
    3" Lift (Billies 5100 front and back), Toytec springs, All Pro 3" Standard Pack, LR UCA's, Diff Drop, SCS F5's, 265/75/16 Treadwright Wardens, Rear Diff Breather, pinch weld mod, Morimoto Projector retro w/ amber halo's, grey wire mod, Elite front bumper....so far....
    +1 to you sir.

A resounding NO to the above stated question. Although I am mandated to enforce laws....traffic citations are the area in which I am granted by the supreme court to utilize my own discretion as to "letter of the law, or spirit of the law" This state rep is an asshat and needs a few citations that he cleaarly deserves....

11. BigHeadTaco

BigHeadTaco GFY

Member:
    First Name:
    Big Head
    Full OME lift 885's with Dakar leaf springs. LR UCA's. ImMrYo relocation bracket.
    Wow. This trooper was in a lose/lose situation. I hope he files some sort of lawsuit, this is unfair in my opinion.

12. crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    no, he shouldn't be fired, I personally have friends that have been pulled over for similar speeds and gotten warnings. I don't think there is anything wrong with him giving the guy a break, I've had an officer give me a warning before as well.

13. Joe D

Joe D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Oxford, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Nautical Blue 4Runner Limited 4x4 Model 8668
    So the one who won the popularity contest, the elected official and LAW MAKER, doesn't need to follow the rules but, the police officer, a LAW ENFORCEMENT person, gets terminated.

Yes, that's exactly how our corrupt leaders should act isn't it???

To that I say, do not let these POS bastards regulate our ability to defend ourselves againts THEM.

14. Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ProComp 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Dynomax catback, Weathertech liners,Toyota bed mat, Silverstar Ultra's, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's,bedlights and other small stuff.
    What cho talking about Willis? What "deviation from policy" are you taking about? There is NO policy over who gets written a ticket over who does not. There for he violated no policy.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth about discretion. It's good, but... As LEO we do our best to use discretion based on the info we have at the time. I'd like to think we get it "right" most of the time, but sometimes we don't. We are human. Some of the calls we go on there is no getting it "right". It's a loose - loose for all.

He was fired for "conduct unbecoming". The "catch all" of G.O. violations, also the most vague. He will win in court, as FHP will not be able to prove his conduct was "unbecoming".

FHP has a history of treating it's people like crap. That's why most put in a few years and jump ship to a different L.E. agency. On my shift alone I there are 4 former troopers-all of them are great guys that love to work.

15. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner
    In California, Legislators are exempt from traffic laws while enroute to and from a legislative session. If we stopped one, we were directed to notify our supervisor who then kicked the information "up stairs" where I'm sure that something was done with it. As Officers, we had the discretion to issue citations or verbal warnings as we wished.

This FL Legislator is an idiot. He's objecting to receiving a warning and concerned that the Officer is giving warning to other drivers? "I am concerned that as Trooper Swindle acted in such fashion to me, that he would do so to any law-abiding citizen of our state."

The Officer deserves his job back with full pay and an apology from McBurney.

Ray

16. newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    NO!!!!! what if it was you-Thank you for the warning.
    No bribe--just the ticket for INS.
    WTF is the big deal.

17. SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Penis Bird

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DC LB Black
    King remote resi coilovers, King rear resis, camburg 1.25" uca, deaver j66 pack, Method race wheels, bfg at ko 285/70/17, Retrofitted headlights FXR IV, debadged, tinted tails, JL audio stealthbox, focal v30, focal pc165, arc audio amp, 7" Kenwood hu, undercarriage led lighting, kibbetech custom bumper with 20" led light bar, RI duallies (6), dtlt's, urd intake, maf cal, urd y-pipe, roto pax gas tank and tacoma bed mount, pelfreybuilt bed bar.
    Didn't it say in the article that he called a superior and then let him off with a warning? Did the superior get fired too.
    I too have gotten "preferential" treatment because wifey is a d.a. in our county...also for my "support" stickers on past vehicles.

18. Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    That's a bunch of BS right there!!!

19. Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 WRB WRX
    It's a wagon
    No. As a person who was giving a warning for going 15 over because I stopped right away and was polite, I feel it should be the cops choice who to give a ticket to. If someone is an asshat they deserve the ticket. If someone is polite I feel it is the officers resposonsibility to decide how to handle the situation, whether he or she decide to give a ticket, a lesser ticket, or a warning.

20. coffeesnob

coffeesnob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    what if the next person gets stopped by same cop same offense etc....and...gets a ticket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top