1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I change my tranny fluid?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bunkerboy, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Feb 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    bunkerboy

bunkerboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prerunner
    My manual says it never needs to be done, but I'm over a quarter million miles now.

Hmm?

2. Feb 22, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    TRDBen

TRDBen Mall Crawler of the Year

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 4 Door TRD V6
    Front Window Tint KYB Monomax Shocks Blue Dome Light Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    I was going to write some clever innuendo here about only if the tranny's penis is starting to show. But since you're new and looking for honest advice, then sure. Might as well?

3. Feb 22, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    I changed mine at 45k last weekend. Why not it cost 28.00 and I removed a few micro shavings. Oh and it shifts like a dream. Redline mt-90.

Mines a 6 speed... A little more involved or automatic.

I would do it.

Az

4. Feb 22, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    04trd

04trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    weather techs, 20precent tint, leveling kit, back flip bed cover, rhino liner
    is it a pain in the ass? or just as simple as drain and fill up from the dip stick tube

5. Feb 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
  6. Feb 22, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    prolly doesnt need it.....:eek:

yeah i say do it.:cool:

7. Feb 22, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Have you even checked the level?

I see you're a Prerunner, but do you drive it offroad, into water/mud, tow anything? The maint. manual says change it every 30k for "special operating conditions."

Are you the original owner? Do you know its whole service history?

Hell, just change it. That's some old, worn out oil.

8. Feb 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Converted / 2017 OR
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    Auto or manual?

9. Feb 22, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    bunkerboy

bunkerboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prerunner
    Auto.

You know what, it was a stupid question. Sorry. WTF was I thinking. DEFINITELY gonna change it ASAP.

Now that I think about it, I think I did at least get it done at about 100K or so.

10. Feb 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Good question. I assumed manual. Derp. Why "fluid" in the title did not register in my mind I don't know.
    So what color is it? Is it still red? Is it shifting fine?

11. Feb 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Converted / 2017 OR
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    drain and refill about 3 or 4 times over the course of several hundred miles and it will flush out a lot of the old fluid.

12. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.
    Does anyone know if the 2.4L '04's have a drain plug, or do you have to drop the pan and replace the gasket when you drain it? I have 113,500 on mine, but no idea if it's ever been changed...

13. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    96Taco

96Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 DBL CAB Tacoma
    So is that a myth that you shouldnt change really old tranny fluid because the shit thats caked in there actually stops the clutch from slipping?

14. Feb 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    I'd heard flushing a high mile auto trans was were issues could come in.

If the fluid is high mile then I'd change it. As previously posted I'd use the drain an refill a few times (that is if your trans has a drain plug in the pan lol).

My thinking would be the old fluid would have been through many heat cycles and would have lost some of its essential properties.

Using the drain and refill would be the mildest solution in my opinon. I don't have an auto in the Tacoma, but our Camry is. On that I was fortunate enough to have a simple allen wrench drain plug and it supposely just uses a screen inside the pan so no filter to change. Each drain will not get all the fluid in the trans so each refill is only adding some new to the existing old fluid. I did the drain and refill. I then drove it a few weeks and then did another drain and refill and repeat.

On the Camry it drains and refills approx 4 quarts at a time so with each change your calculated percentage of new fluid gets higher. I had an excel program I jotted together to map it out at one point (yes I can be that nerdy) and just found the point of deminishing returns and stopped at that.

What I mean by that is each drain and refill after the first is also draining some of the previous new fluid you just put in. As such your change and refill initially is creating a higher calculated percentage of old fluid being replaced, but at some point the gain in the amount of new fluid added to the trans makes less impact to the total percentage of new fluid in the transmission.

Cheers

Products Discussed in

To Top