1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I consider the 2.7 for extensive mods?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by thenrie, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Nov 12, 2007 at 7:49 PM
    thenrie

thenrie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    It looks like I may have to pull in my horns a bit for a couple more years. Looks like I may end up in DC for at least two years. If you think there's not many places to 4-wheel in PA, you should look around DC. You can't even find a place to get off the road around there. Just too many people and too many cars! Hopefully I'll get back out west after that. I got my taste for big bad four-wheelers in Farmington, NM. You can't hardly beat that area for fun in the rocks, a short hop to Moab if you get bored at home. I'd like to try Rubicon one day.

My thing for going with the SAS, was not so much the weakness issue with the IFS, or even the flex. I would like to go with larger tires, 35s at least, and if you're going to have to lift, new shocks, etc., it doesn't cost a whole lot more to go whole hog and SAS it, if you are a DIYer.

Alas, looks like I'll be waiting a while. I got my wheels balanced and rotated in DC a couple weeks ago. The guy came out and asked, "Whatever possessed you to put those huge tires on your pickup?" I gave him a blank stare and wondered if he had the right truck. I'm only rolling on 31X10.50s with a mud tread. Goes to show you how far DC is from anything off-road .

2. Nov 12, 2007 at 10:16 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clear Spring MD
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" body lift,3" suspension lift,35's. I also have another tacoma a 97 with a 350 small block in it on a 1972 blazer frame...
    lol yeah i had a flat 39x18x15 mickey thompson in DC oh boy you should have seen the look... lol took it off truck had buddy drive me to gas station to get plugged....guy was like what did this come off of?...i was like ...umm a toyota tacoma....blank expression was looking at me! lol

3. Nov 13, 2007 at 12:16 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I lived in both NM and Montana in my early youth. Although far too young to consider offroading, or driving for that matter, I know the possibilities out there are endless.

4. Dec 17, 2007 at 12:01 PM
    A1CGuches

A1CGuches Oregon Alliance: Founder

Member:
    DMAFB, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco
    Custom snorkel/intake, 6" lift, 35X12.5 mt's, flowmaster 40 seriers, performance clutch, custom skid plate, grille, everything is black on green, rotrex supercharger, 7th injector kit, urd short throw shifter, thorely header, kks speed limit defender...and more to come
    one thing you can do is take the rear carrier out of a v6 and put in the 4 banger...i personally havent done this but several of my friends have and they are extremely pleased.

5. Dec 17, 2007 at 1:09 PM
    thenrie

thenrie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    I wouldn't need to do that, as my rear dif is already an 8" 4.30:1 elec locker. It's pretty much as good as Toyota makes em. Apparently my TRD has a "dealer only" option rear dif. Wouldn't mind a crawler or dual xfer case eventually though. From what I am researching, it seems people who use their pickups for dual-purpose (road and rocks) feel like a 4:30 would be fine for up to 35" tires. Just need to find a Toyota front with the same ratio and put a locker in it.

6. Dec 17, 2007 at 1:13 PM
    A1CGuches

A1CGuches Oregon Alliance: Founder

Member:
    DMAFB, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco
    Custom snorkel/intake, 6" lift, 35X12.5 mt's, flowmaster 40 seriers, performance clutch, custom skid plate, grille, everything is black on green, rotrex supercharger, 7th injector kit, urd short throw shifter, thorely header, kks speed limit defender...and more to come
    good point...i am considering puting the front and rear ends from an 07 rubicon under one of my tacomas it would require quiet a bit of modification but i think it would be worth it in the long run.

7. Dec 17, 2007 at 3:08 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clear Spring MD
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" body lift,3" suspension lift,35's. I also have another tacoma a 97 with a 350 small block in it on a 1972 blazer frame...
    if you go dana 44 they make 4.27 gears for them... which is close enough... they allow for some difference.. heck I think factory some trucks had like 3.55 front... 3.58 rear due to same ratio not avail for all axles

To Top