1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I enjoy my new Tacoma stock before I mod?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by zCheech, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Apr 13, 2021 at 9:26 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Drive it stock for Six months months. Magically it will appear what you need.

rev25sharp, Grossomotto and 9th like this.
  2. Apr 13, 2021 at 9:32 PM
    9th

9th Not a Civil Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Smitty
    Tropic of Cancer
    Vehicle:
    2017 Unicorn Silver Sky
    lubricated fuel door hinge
    regear and install a front locker...Get an Air compressor and a second battery! LOL! Naaaaaaaaaa... Just take it out for a drive and enjoy.

zCheech[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 13, 2021 at 10:01 PM
    malatx

malatx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRDOR DCLB Army Green
    I put a catback exhaust on mine, immediately I felt the truck is more responsive and revs nicer, much more enjoyable. best $600 spent

zCheech[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 13, 2021 at 10:20 PM
    zCheech

zCheech [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I don't want to have to do a CMC, and with the TRD lift I think those are still the largest I could get without any implications? I like the TRD lift because it comes with Pro Grille which is more than half of the cost of the lift. I like the fact that everything would still be under warranty, and would be calibrated and approved for TSS. I am not worried about the cost.

BobcatSR and bulalo like this.
  5. Apr 14, 2021 at 6:30 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    You need to do what my buddy did on his 2019 trd....install a lift, put 33'' aggressive mud tires, along with some other stuff before it even was 2 months old...then only use it on good asphalt roads. A year later he ended up so pissed off with all the noise, vibrations, crazy tranny shifting issues, and poor fuel economy after seeing how f**kup his truck got compared to my new bone stock 2020 he finally put it back to the way the factory sent it out. While now it looks stock, at least he's enjoying how much better it performs. Only issue it doesn't look as cool to others driving around our area shopping centers.

6. Apr 14, 2021 at 6:35 AM
    zoo truck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    None
    I have to agree on those grilles looking the nicest to. Wish the sr5 grill i have would look more that way instead of now.

zCheech[OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 14, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    Burqueboy505

Burqueboy505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement OR DCSB
    Take your time, do your research, carefully plan everything out and focus on the stuff that counts (i.e. suspension, armor, recovery equipment, etc.). Don't be the "lights before lockers" guy with all the eye candy accessories out on permanent display for the sun to fade to shit, thinking you look cool, unless you want to be that guy.

I kept mine bone stock for the first 2 years and I loved it. Then I went crazy with the suspension set-up and love it even more.

zCheech[OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 14, 2021 at 7:59 AM
    ddanjeong

ddanjeong Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    19 OffRoad Double Cab
    265/75r16 General Grabber AT/X Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Fogs / Ditch Lights UpTop Overland Bravo Roof Rack
    I plastidipped all the chrome and the tailgate corner inserts black over a year ago and they are holding up great.

zCheech[OP] likes this.
  9. Apr 15, 2021 at 3:34 PM
    zCheech

Member:
    I also thought that I would add, even though there is a certain look that everyone seems to end-up with in this community - I am not concerned with looking the same as long as I love it!

BumfukKansas likes this.
  10. Apr 20, 2021 at 7:57 PM
    zCheech

Member:
    I’m going to be updating this thread with items I go ahead with so that I can always take a look back, and to share for others enjoyment.

First couple of mods completed since delivery:
    1. Tacoma tailgate inserts.
    2. V6 debadge
    3. Tacoma side badges black overlay
    4. Tires and wheels (265/75r16 Toyo Open Country AT3)

C2FE4BBA-05E3-4A81-AF07-D087B1664F6F.jpg
    43F1A1F4-28B5-43B4-B5D9-7756A93D9D68.jpg

Shiro213 and bodean like this.
  11. Apr 21, 2021 at 5:23 AM
    zoo truck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    None
    Imo, its always best to leave the truck the way the engineers designed it to work. Soon as one thinks they know better than the engineers, usually thats where the problems begin. A buddy mine was easily coaxed into lifting his 2019 just alone for the cool look cruising around. Once lifted with larger tires these ugly issues arose....bad fuel economy, all sorts of weird vibrations, and his automatic transmission would constantly be shifting down, and up, and down again every time the road had a slight uphill grade. This year he returned the truck back to the original way it was built....he's now happy for the first time since he's owned it, claiming you can't believe its the same truck.

BumfukKansas and bulalo like this.
  12. Apr 21, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCSB

Except some people (myself included) hate chrome. You go through the trouble to remove it everywhere else on the truck, but you still have that giant chrome Toyota symbol smack in the middle of the grill. No thanks.

Nope.

13. Apr 21, 2021 at 6:55 AM
    kite_325

kite_325 A simple human, being

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR
    Welcome to Tacomaworld!

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned the A/C Drain mod yet. It's starting to get warmer. I wouldn't put that off.

BobcatSR and CraigF like this.
  14. Apr 21, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    zoo truck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    None
    You coat your frame with cosmoline the a/c drain mod isn't necessary.

15. Apr 21, 2021 at 7:02 AM
    jsierra1985

jsierra1985 Member

Member:
    my truck is about a month old......

its nowhere near stock lol.....
    tires/wheels
    black out emblems
    morimoto headlights
    vinyl inserts
    baja fogs
    prinsu rack w/light bar
    tinted windows/windshield
    side mirror black out lights

not done ....

zCheech[OP] likes this.
  16. Apr 21, 2021 at 9:54 AM
    2flyfletchguy

2flyfletchguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Vehicle:
    2017 tacoma trd off road
    1 million times yes. Drive it stock and make the mods as you find you "need" them. I was close to spending 2K on suspension when I got the truck and so glad I went with the little stuff first. I have had the truck for three years and just not started into the suspension and lift. People over look stuff like good floor mats, a kick ass cap or tonneau, high end seat covers, or a great set of tires... these are the mods you are going to enjoy every day, as opposed to the lift or roof top tent you will enjoy monthly(?).

RedDemolisher likes this.
  17. Apr 21, 2021 at 10:07 AM
    ralphq17

ralphq17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro - AT - Midnight Gray Mettalic
    working on it!
    I bought a 2020 TRD Pro because I wanted to drive and enjoy the truck for a while and not jump into mods. I put a Softopper on it as my first major exterior mod. Other than that it's been 1 year at stock. When I look at it in the driveway, I'd have to say it's perfect for now.

I did get the mod craze from Meso customs and deleted all the interior chrome and added the red start button. Sitting the truck, I'd have to say perfect now.

18. Apr 21, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    goingplacesanddoingstuff

goingplacesanddoingstuff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    2.5” OME lift, Koenig Six Shooter wheels, 275/70r17 Nokian Outpost AT, CMC, Nitro 4.88s, Greenlane aluminum sliders, CBI aluminum skid, Greenlane aluminum front bumper, Out Gear Solutions HC rear bumper, Baja SAE fogs
    If I could go back and do it again I’d forget the aftermarket roof rack. Too much wind drag and noise. I even have the Cali raised premium which has a very good fairing. I’d just go with the factory rack and use ditch lights or bumper lights.

Also a front bumper without a rear bumper is a great way to get into damage-causing booty dragging situations.

zCheech[OP] likes this.
  19. Apr 21, 2021 at 10:55 AM
    danmtchl

danmtchl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Double Cab Sport 4x4
    I’d get a bed mat before I drove off the lot. Unless you like everything sliding around. My mods are more interior related, like Clazzio seat covers, Meso customs interior lighting and Meso stage one led tail light upgrade. Also did a Meso interior chrome delete and ultimate turn signals.

Another functional mod is the Toyota OEM tailgate lock. You lock the truck and your tailgate locks also, but it is plug and play, installs in maybe an hour. Rubber interior mats are also a must.

20. Apr 23, 2021 at 4:48 PM
    Waynebarkr

Waynebarkr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement DCLB TRD-OR AT
    So, drove my 2020 Offroad Double cab, long-bed, auto trans. for about 3 months both on and off-road before I bought anything for it. I was truly surprised at the capability of the stock truck with stock tires. The first thing I got was a topper because I wanted to use the bed to sleep in (at 6 ft tall, this was also the reason I got the long bed). Next, I realized that I wanted to air down off-road to make the drive a lot better (and it does!) so I got an ARB compressor. After a while, I realized that I needed to upgrade my suspension, since the topper has flattened the leaf springs.

Where I am now is I have ordered both front and rear suspension upgrades (leaf springs and shocks on the rear, and coilovers for the front) due to the added weight on the truck. I also am getting front and rear bumpers with a winch since I often go alone off-roading and have dinged my rear and want the reassurance of being able to get myself out of situations with the winch.

Since I figured out what I wanted on my truck first (weight-wise) I am getting the suspension that matches it. Won't be too stiff or too soft (or too expensive for that matter--only pay for what you need!)

Bottom line is that these trucks are very capable stock and you should only pay for what you really want/need and the only way you will really know is to drive it first.

zCheech[OP] and danmtchl like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top