1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I get a MAC?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by solus, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I like my little macbook pro cause i can take it to work and edit movies and pictures in my downtime.

2. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    For Portibility nothing beats it... I'm on my iPad right now... It especially good for deployments (like what I'm doing now)... Where you have to be very mobile. I had the same mindset until I got a tablet and it has made things much easier and convenient

3. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    You don't have a smartphone? They do the exact same thing and are a lot more portable, but on the other hand, having a tablet would keep you from draining the battery on your phone, so that's a good thing.

Either way, get a Macbook Pro! They're pretty badass and thats coming from a PC guy.

4. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Yes I have a smart phone (for now) but out here it doesn't work so I left it at home suspended... Plus watching movies on a smart phone sucks!

5. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Yeah thats what I'm worried about... Having an expensive computer that is just collecting dust. However that wouldn't be the first purchase I have sitting around not being utilized

Photo editing is the only thing I'd use it for and probably excel but that doesn't really justify a whole brand new shiny Mac...

6. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    What about a Mac mini connect to my HDTV... Could use it for photo editing and excel at 1/2 the cost of a MacBook or iMac... And just bring the iPad on deployments with me and use as primary Internet device around the house

7. Oct 13, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    This is a tough one.

If it were me, I would probably sell the iPad 2 and put that money towards a MacBook Air. The MBA will still be extremely portable, battery-friendly, able to surf the web, run MS Office, photo editing, etc...

If you go for the Air I would get the upgraded SSD and the faster processor to help with your photo editing, if you really feel you will do it often.

You already have an iPhone 4 which is very capable for browsing, etc... I'm the type that likes to have all of my data with me, all the time. The MacBook Air can accomplish that, and is still extremely portable.

Second choice, for me, would be the Mac Mini/iPad idea.

Fink

8. Oct 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    sdsurfer

sdsurfer @ODNAREM life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD 4X4
    5100s/OME 888s. Dakar leaf pack. Total Chaos UCAs. DeMello Sliders. BAMF Recessed Grille. Prinsu Cabrack and Toprack.
    I have an iPad2 a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air. By far, I use the MacBook Air the most. It is much better for anything that requires significant typing. I prefer it for surfing the web over the iPad. I vote on a 13" MacBook Air... I don't think you will regret it.

9. Oct 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
  10. Oct 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    UpstateTRDTaco

UpstateTRDTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tx Pro
    mods to come
    get a the cheapest mac pro. There is always a need for a computer for a base.

how do you like the ipad2?

11. Oct 13, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
  12. Oct 14, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
  13. Oct 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    JAG

JAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    thats honestly sounds like your best plan. my friend doesn't have a computer so he bought an iPad. honestly thats all you need. i have an idea/feeling that soon the laptop will be another thing of the past with the cassette tape. sure people still use cassettes but they're weirdos. hah jk.

in all fairness... i just like the feel of the keyboard on my mac for school so i can secretly record our lectures. :anonymous: other than that i would get an iPad.

14. Oct 14, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    YotaMark

YotaMark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Mentor, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed 4X4
    Rear Gate security Mod (although I seldom take my eyes off it) "Harsh Ride" Shocks and Springs TSB performed by "Me" New Cooper Discoverer AT3s 265/75R16s (fit well) Front "Tacoma Mike" light mod! Rugged Ridge floor mats. Bought another set of D rings and installed them in my wheel well. Perfect! Just hit the big 6000 Miles 12/19/11, Installed an alarm system to go with my factory power door locks 1/21/12
    Oh this is like asking a Political question.
    I would buy a MAC in a second if I had the $ to throw around.
    If I didnt I would probably buy a Toshiba laptop. (I/WE own 3)
    No matter what I like to get a new computer every 4 years or so..
    Love the laptop. its hooked up to a wireless keyboard, monitor, mouse and ext hard drive. I open it to turn on then close it.

15. Oct 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    Hook & Ladder

Hook & Ladder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    16' TRD Tacoma
    The project @c4_fabrication-Sliders, HC bumper w/ swing out @kb_voodoo_fabrications-Bed rack @tepuitents-RTT @cali_raised_led-Fogs, ditch lights, bed stiffeners @prinsudesign-Roof rack @kingshocks-2.5 with adjuster @totalchaosfabrication-UCA @rcioffroad-diff skid plate Follow at @wicked_overland #nacrew
  16. Oct 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    TacoTyrant

TacoTyrant Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport Super White
    Stock for Now
    I came from owning Dell laptops and desktops for years. I will NEVER ever do that again. They're cheap and nice when you first get them. Then as time goes, it just starts to become trash.

I swapped out my desktop to a IMAC 27, I swapped out my laptop for a macbook air, and I also own a ipad 2 16 wifi.

Yes, they were all pricey in comparison to PCs and I was hurting for a little bit to my credit cards.

However, in 1 year of owning my Imac & macbook air. Not a single problem nor notice of slowing down. These are straight BEAST!

The IPAD2 was a birthday gift from my whole family. I wouldn't have bought one but dam is this thing nice and portable for every use. I', in love with this things as I take it everywhere with me and I can stop off at Starbucks to use internet.

In the end, Apple has bought my loyalty. Just like Samsung as bought my loyalty after being in love with Sony.

Movies and streaming is so dam nice with my Apple. Its not even funny.

17. Oct 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Im not questioning apple as a good brand what I'm questioning is the need for a computer at all... And if so which Mac should I get. I have an ipad2 that I currently use for 99% of my non work related time. Would I even need a computer at all? And if so which Mac would be best since I already have the most portable apple product

18. Oct 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    cntstan

cntstan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    I have a Macbook pro and a first gen ipad. The portability of the ipad cannot be beat. Reading or watching movies on the ipad is also the way to go. As for my Macbook, I can't imagine not having it. Had it for 3 years and it still runs like the day I took it out of the box. I guess it depends on how serious you're gonna get with the photography thing and how much overall storage you need. If you really get into it, you're gonna wish you got the macbook. I know you can get the separate hard drive for the ipad, but that kind of makes it lose some of it's portability appeal to me. Either way you go, best of luck and THANK YOU for you service!

19. Oct 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    brian65oh

brian65oh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Nor Cal (currently stationed in Jax beach FL)
    Vehicle:
    05 pre runner
    camburg long travel w/ race runner 2.5x8 co Deaver springs spintech race muffler kn cold air intake
    Iphone 4s and macbook pro all you ever need for computer/portables,

20. Oct 14, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    iPhone 4s is out of the question I'm trying to get away from a smart phone

Products Discussed in