1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I Get An In-Ground Swimming Pool?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by asphaltpilot, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot [OP] CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    The wife has been hounding me with the idea getting an in-ground swimming pool, especially right now when prices have been really low. While I don't care for the idea (because, like, I don't have enough maintenance to do around the house) she says it would be nice to have, our Son would practically live by the pool, yada yada. We know a few couples that have pools (but only one with kids) and the comments about having them are mixed.

While I feel we would get good use out of it, I'm concerned about the amount of upkeep and resale value it would add to the home. I live in south Florida so I feel it may be ok, but I'd like to get some more pros and cons, perhaps some things I may be missing? I don't want to drop 15-25K on this if I can't recoup at least 50% of the cost when we sell. Thanks.

2. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I hate having a pool - but for different reasons than you would. I live in PA and it's rare that our above ground temp reaches over 80f - with a solar cover. We take great care of our cover and can only manage 3yrs out of it ($80 each). We dump about $75 worth of chemicals each year and worry like crazy when our daughter is outside (she's 2 1/2). It is fenced in but kids can be creative. We used it 3x last year and it is the staple of our backyard.

We thought about getting rid of it but think our daughter will really enjoy it in a couple years. It is also great for ambience when we entertain. We don't "use" it with our adult friends but we do sit around it and enjoy it while staying dry. I guess that's getting value out of it.

3. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    they make fiber glass in ground pools now that cost less than half to install and are great we put some in on south padre island

4. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Whoa!!1 Only if she comes with it!!!

5. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    consider a salt-water pool.... thats what alot of properties are doing these days. :)

Saltwater vs. Chlorine, Pros and Cons

• Saltwater is an expense when it is installed, but after that you do not have to add chlorine as salt makes chlorine. This saves you $60 for every bucket you buy.
    • Salt is softer on your skin.
    • The new salt systems are great, as they monitor and clean themselves.
    • You also do not have the obnoxious little floater in your pool all the time with salt.
    • Both systems generate Disinfection By Products (DBP). Both systems are very climate dependent and also vary based on pool usage.

6. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I would say no if you have just one son. It is alot of work and maintence. With growing up with a pool you dont use it as much as you think you would. Just my 2 cents.

7. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    maxboostcore

maxboostcore Well-Known Member

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    My coworker use to build pools for a living. If you do get a pool, get a jacuzzi as well. He told me it wasn't too much more. I would want a pool around me house. I just wouldn't want to do the maintenance. :)

8. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    godofspeed

godofspeed Washington State.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD OR DC
    Body Armor front bumper Body Armor rear bumper 17x8.5 Method Bead Lock 35x12.50 Camburg LT Fox coilover All Pro 11 pack leaf Fox rear shock with DSC Allpro frame slider Smittybuilt 9500 winch Cobra CB w/firestick antenna. Hi-lift Smittybuilt air compressor
    I thought about putting one it, but the cost associated with it is alot. You will probably spend more money then its worth. IE when it comes time to put the house on the market, you will not get what you put into the pool.

9. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    SaturnXL

SaturnXL Professional Paperweight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    SouthEastern PA
    Vehicle:
    09, TRD Spt, Timb Mica
    In South Florida, maybe you can get some good use out of it. Here's why I hate ours (live in PA):

1) Always worried about safety for little kids (fenced in, but still...)
    2) Chemical treatments cost $$$
    3) Higher electric bill in running the pump/filter
    4) Cleaning dead (and live) animals out of the trap
    5) Skimming out leaves/bugs/whatever else happens to fall in the water
    6) Only gets used 3-4x per year
    7) Everyone wants to come over (guess how often they bring food/towels with them)
    8) Visits from nature (we have ducks and frogs frequently stopping by for a swim)
    9) Evaporation... yes, you'll need to KEEP it filled, so expect a slightly higher water bill, too.
    10) General maintenance isn't cheap
    11) Higher home insurance

When we bought the house, we told the old owners they could take it with them. Join a local swim club or community center if available instead.

If you really gotta get one, get an above-ground. At least it's easier to take out or take down if you want to reclaim your lawn space.

10. Apr 12, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Yea

11. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM
    asphaltpilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Thanks for the input, especially the salt water pool. We'll ponder over it.

I'll get two if they come with the hottie.

12. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    Cement Pond! I say go for it. As a user of many peoples pools during the summer I prefer the salt water pool. As for maintenance, IDK because like I said before, I just pee in them.

13. Apr 12, 2010 at 12:03 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Here in eastern Canada, most people have circular above ground pools. Cheap to install, keeps the kids busy, and easy to tear down when the kids grow up or when you sell the house.

Cheers.

14. Apr 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    asphaltpilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    You are not invited to my pool party.:confused:

15. Apr 12, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
  16. Apr 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I grew up having a pool all my life - except now that I'm out of the house. My parents have a pool still. It's inground..... and they love it.
    Kids or no kids, they are fun to invite friends over, pool parties, bbq's, skinny dipping, and good exercise too. My parents are 70ish and Dad still gets out there and maintains it. He does laps in it.
    My mom can't even swim, she just 'dips' in it and lays out in the sun.
    They're always having friends over.

Although I don't know how much, but it is expensive for all the chemicals, testing kits, cleaning kits, etc etc etc.

My parents have a solar cover - at which they had replaced after about 5 years (it got hard and brittle). They also have an automatic cleaner they named it "Monica" - she drives around the pool all day cleaning as she goes, even climbs up the walls.

In the winter - Dad has to cover it up. One year....I went down to VA to help him cover it. It was too much work for him to do himself. That is, until he got rid of the old cover and bought a newer style one.

Not sure about retail value, but living in Florida.....you'll get more $$ for a pool down there than you would in PA or VA.

17. Apr 12, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    BravesFan

BravesFan The MOST Badass Offroad Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Brentwood, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Super rock crawler
    As a 16 year old boy, be prepared to have kids be at your house every day during the summer when your kid turns into a teenager. But that also means your kid will be at your house which parents usually like. I would look into getting a hot tub also.

18. Apr 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    I have had a pool my whole life here in Florida and I say no to a pool. They are very pricy and it will never get used (Trust Me). Just use the neighbors LOL

19. Apr 12, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    Wolfman

Wolfman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    Since you live in FL, you can at least enjoy it. As for resale value, that is hard to quantify. Many potential buyers will walk away from a house that has one, as they don't want to mess with the upkeep. Someone that is jonesing for one, will snatch up your place, over one that doesn't have it. Personally, I'm with you on the fact that I wouldn't want to contend with the massive amount of additional maintenance.

20. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM
    philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    - philo
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Gray Tacoma TRD
    Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
    had an in ground pool at my last two homes in Los Angeles, and used them all the time

absolutely great for chilling, partying, entertaining, banging, sitting in or near and drinking, and of course combining any number of the aforementioned

my kid uses it all the time too, learned to swim really young, and now he's super comfortable in the water

of course, now my ex-wife owns the house/pool, and she gets hella use out of it

when she goes out of town, i bang strange in it :D

Products Discussed in

To Top