1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Should I tow this trailer" Spreadsheet tool

Discussion in 'Towing' started by ubstung71, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Sep 16, 2020 at 4:44 PM
    ubstung71

ubstung71 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport DC/LB
    Hello I am in the process of evaluating travel trailers to use with my 2015 DC LB V6 Tacoma. In my research I found no handy tool to use to quickly evaluate if I should tow a trailer given its ratings, insurance concerns and safety in mind. You could put this spreadsheet on your cell phone while at dealers looking at trailers.

I'm am so sick of dealers, all a dealer cares about is the sale and will quote you trailer dry weight and compare that to the advertised tow rating and try to sell you a trailer that's too big for your Tacoma. Its easy to fall for that if not informed.

It isn't meant to answer the famous "Can I tow this trailer?" question but the "Should I tow this trailer with safety and insurance and peace of mind?" question. They are two way different things.

It explains common tow ratings and what they mean and allows you to enter values for your tow vehicle and trailer combination and quickly and see if it makes sense. It comes up with percentage of 'saneness' that I will use in buying decisions. It is definitely slanted to be conservative in its ratings.

I know some formulas could be tweaked to be less conservative. The point of this is to make a sensible buying decision, not to see what I can tow without dying.

Green cells are data you need to enter for your situation. Cells that need an explanation have comments attached. It will then calculate the values and give an overall answer to the question stated above. I call this percentage the:

"GCVWR weight and % of rated utilized"

I think values around 85% utilized and under make sense. As you approach 100% you could probably still tow the trailer but the experience may not be enjoyable and it is not as safe and insurance concerns start popping up. You will be bumping up against GVWR and GCVWR limits.

I will try to upload the spreadsheet. I preloaded it with data for my truck which told me in the end I needed to downsize what I thought I should tow. Not what I COULD POSSIBLY tow but SHOULD tow. My end rating for the trailer I will most likely buy is 80.3%

The first spreadsheet shows values for a smaller trailer with 2 passengers and 50 lbs of truck payload:

UVW: 2275 lbs
    GVWR: 3700 lbs
    Hitch Weight: 245 lbs

'saneness" percentage = 80.3%

The second spreadsheet shows values for a larger trailer with 2 passengers and 50 lbs of truck payload:

UVW: 3980 lbs
    GVWR: 5500 lbs
    Hitch Weight: 425 lbs
    'saneness" percentage = 96.7%

If I made any mistakes and you care enough -- let me know. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sep 16, 2020 at 4:52 PM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

U have a cautious conservative measured approach

i dont think spreadsheets are necessary

each scenario will exceed Ur expectations

Ur awareness & how U drive will see U thru

3. Sep 16, 2020 at 6:20 PM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    That reminds me.... I did this exact same thing a while back. Had to restore my MacBook from a crash and now I fear I may have lost that work. Need to go dig some.

4. Sep 17, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    kwill

kwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Two comments:
    1. I think you are really light on your estimated cargo weight. Is 50 lbs really enough?
    2. Even so, adding your tongue weight to your cargo weight is the key figure that many people overlook. 800 lbs isn't much and you will exceed it quickly.

5. Sep 18, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    ubstung71

ubstung71 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    kwill

Yes I am sure i am light. I also need to actually weight my truck as I have added aftermarket lift kit, tonneau cover and TRD rims with heavier load range E tires. I am in the ball park though. My point is one should know the actual weight is the truck, I plan on going to the local landscape yard and getting it weighed on their scale. . .

I agree with you... Once I know the actual available payload exceeding it in the real world is very easy to do accounting for tongue weight. I'm willing to bet most people are over their truck GVWR when hitched. Which depending upon degree and truck modifications may not be unsafe BUT if one gets in an accident and (assuming you have a trailer rider or separate insurance for your trailer) the insurance will DENY your claim based on over GVWR or GCVWR. I have a son who works in the insurance biz and thats the first thing they look at when a claim like this comes in. It is basically impossible to try and get your trucks GVWR raised even if mods warrant it.

Right now I am using the tool to choose general trailor size and weight so I have leeway...

6. Sep 18, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    kwill

kwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    I appreciate your thoughtful approach as opposed to the "I've towed it all through snowy mountain passes with my pup as a relief driver" kind of posturing. I just can't believe what some folks are pulling with these light trucks.

7. Sep 24, 2020 at 6:53 AM
    ubstung71

ubstung71 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hello All;

Updated spreadsheet, mainly improved comments and labels. I updated for a friend of mine so I thought I would add it here. Added real curb weight for my truck. Based on this I am going to start looking for a Lance 1575 and not a 1685 like I originally was going to look for. Cheers.

Attached Files:

hangun61 and kwill like this.
  8. Sep 24, 2020 at 8:46 AM
    Jimiller5

Jimiller5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover running boards Lance 1475
    I pull a Lance 1475 with no problems. It is similar in size and weight to a 1575.

9. Sep 24, 2020 at 9:16 AM
    ubstung71

ubstung71 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's good to know from real-world experience. The numbers reflect that from the tool. Realistically with my mods to the truck I will exceed truck GVWR by 10% or so but I have no worries about it at all. The 1685 would be pushing it I am thinking.

Now I just have to find a good used one but I will most likley buy this winter when (hopefully) the price is down a bit but Lance's command a good price for good reason.

thanks

10. Sep 24, 2020 at 11:42 AM
    Jimiller5

Jimiller5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover running boards Lance 1475
    If you go to the Lance Owners of America forum you’ll see most folks are pulling 1685s with a half ton or bigger truck. Lots of Tacos and 4 Runners pulling 1475s and 1575s. They also have a classified section for used units.

Products Discussed in

To Top