1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I try my chances at TSB for suspension?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sasqydude, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Nov 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    sasqydude

sasqydude [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access TRD SR5
    Im trying!
    New member here. After reading up on many threads throughout the months, I finally had to join so I could get the benefit of getting my own questions answered.

So... I have a 2008 Tacoma Access TRD Off Road SR5. I just bought it a month ago after many months of researching for the best mid sized truck out there. I got a GREAT deal on my certified 15k Taco and couldn't be happier. I bought the extended "Platinum" Warranty for the piece of mind, active till 2015 or 100k.

I keep reading about the 3 leaf suspension problems and the lack of payload capacity with them. Does my truck have a 3 leaf suspension? How do i tell? (Im a new member, gimme a break). And would I qualify to get a 4 leaf from a local dealer and/or anything else, covered by my warranty?

To be clear, I am not a heavy tower, or loader. I do plan on using it towing light stuff (under capacity), and loading up the bed periodically with stuff, probly up to capacity (1650).

So with that usage... should i even try to get that upgrade... if i qualify? Is it worth it? How big of a difference would there be? Sorry about all the questions, but any help is much appreciated.

2. Nov 5, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    SplitDecision

SplitDecision Phones Ringin Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    Haywood Jablowme
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100x4, Truxedo lo pro QT,Hid Retro,2011 painted grill,Alpine head unit,Foglight mod,NFAB steps
  3. Nov 5, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    sasqydude

sasqydude [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access TRD SR5
    Im trying!
    I guess I have three. Should i take advice that i saw on another thread and put 1000+lbs in it and see what happens? If Im not completely hitting my bumper, should i just be satisfied? Will this bee a problem later on when i am towing a small trailer?

4. Nov 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    If you are still under warranty and have 3 leafs then I'd say your chances are 100%. I didn't have to load anything in my truck, I just explained the problem and had to coach them a little on the TSB. If you want be 100% sure load it up with something and drive over some speed bumps, it should bottom out but the TSB only says you have to "describe" a harsh ride. Read the TSB then go in and talk to the service manager. Good Luck welcome to TW!

5. Nov 5, 2010 at 11:58 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Yea...
    I think I'm going to go air bags rather than get a rougher suspension.. And don't confuse riding on bump stops with lack of load capacity. You know when you breach load capacity,... stuff breaks. If it was load capacity, it would be a recall.
    Its just not as comfortable on the bump stops as some would like so Toyota is doing something about it because they care. GM and Ford just don't do this... but they suffer the same "problem".. toyota having a slightly smaller payload is maybe more noticeable maybe its a bit weaker. For a couple of bills you can have air bags and not worry about it. Keep your ride height and keep your unladen ride quality. If they would just hand me the set of springs to put in my shed, I would. But I'm sticking with an "if it aint broke". And bump stops at max load isn't currently broke to me.

6. Nov 6, 2010 at 12:55 AM
    BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO

BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO DUDE MAN BRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Hot Carl!!!
    Roy UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD-Off Road TACO Extra value package
    Icon Ext Travel w/ Resi Front and rear, Dakar leaf springs, total chaos UCA's, color matched rear bumper, color matched satoshi grille with black chrome TRD emblem, konig countersteer offroads (black) w/ 285/75 Duratracs, sockmonkey Trailiens 3rd tail light cover, Tacomaworld.com sticker (made by me), debadged all around, Relentless Front Bumper, Sliders, Rear bumper, and bed bars with Yakima rack w/ full size spare, shovel, hi-lift
    i didn't even have to bottom it out. i just told them that it did while hauling a 500lb load and they did it no questions asked.

7. Nov 6, 2010 at 3:57 AM
    Celtic

Celtic Tactical Trunk Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    McKinleyville, CA
    Vehicle:
    In the market for V6, 6MT 4X4
    Sold my 2006 V6 6MT AC Offroad like an idiot.
    I have tried getting the tsb done on mine, with their "platinum" extended warranty, and they have been screwing around trying to avoid giving me a direct answer. So if you are under 3/36 shouldnt be a problem. but after that, I doubt it. Mines an 06 with 57k... but had it in the shop with 30k on it, and told them I needed it checked and they told me I had the updated springs. I hate Roseville Toyota, I refuse to even buy an oil filter from them now.

8. Nov 6, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Load about 700lbs of sand bags and take it to the dealer...it doesn't need to be riding the bump stops, just bottoming as it rides over bumps as they test drive it. They have to confirm a 'rough ride when loaded'.

Sand bags are great 'cause they can count the bags and see it's not overloaded (most full sand bags are around 60lbs dry) and you can return them when you're done!

You'll get whatever the TSB says your vehicle gets for your model year. Read the TSB and don't get dreamy.

It won't help much with a small trailer 'cause the tongue weight probably won't be over 200lbs if it's a 2000lb trailer. Also: remember that capacity is GVW and that includes driver, passenger, tank of gas as well as tools and mods (bumpers, bull bars, sliders weigh a lot). In general, it's better to think of it as 1000lbs, not 1650 (if that's what it is for an AC; it's 1350 for a DC 4x4). This is a 1/2 ton truck.

9. Nov 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    That should be most cases. Some might feel they have to protect toyota's money a bit better and actually want to see it. They work for you AND toyota. But they have a contract with toyota.

And yea.. pretty sure you have no way of getting any TSB done. You say you don't need it unless you're going to be over double the rated capacity of the truck.
    GEt air bags or OMEs and forget about it, if you do anything.

Products Discussed in

To Top