1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

should i use a lunch box locker in front or detroit trutrac????

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by coganhagen01, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Feb 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    coganhagen01

coganhagen01 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    lagrange Ga
    Vehicle:
    2007 tacoma trd sport 4x4
    Lift, working on gears and lockers, and finding parts im missing!
    They are us standard gears from Ron machine shop. They said they were same as Yukon to? I hope they ain't cheap gears cause I got same set. My buddy didn't do the break in period like book says and this last guy that did it just put them together no checking any thing just by eye and feel he sad. This last guy was free and a local garage did set before this. But they lasted longer.

2. Feb 29, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    I've read that the trutrac becomes ineffective once one of the wheels losses contact with the ground. Why is that? No one ever found a way to make a mechanical LSD that still delivers torque to the tire with ground contact, without some type electronic manipulation of the brakes?

Either way, if that's the case, it's hard to see any benefit of a tru-trac/LSD over an open diff. I mean, what situation would it really help?

3. Feb 29, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    +1

Gears were not properly setup!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Feb 29, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    MMyota

MMyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Salem, AL
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner TRD 4x4
    TRD cat back, TRD headers, Airaid CAI, poweraid throttle body spacer, Saw 2.0s, toytec AAL, RG 1" body lift, 4x4/5-speed swap, aussie locker front
    gotta have proper break in period. I have had 3 sets of gears over my life and never broke one. I do the 500mi break in and change over to synthetic.

5. Feb 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    coganhagen01

Member:
    lagrange Ga
    Vehicle:
    That's what I heard about break in. That its very important and follow it to a T. I was going to run synthetic to 75w 120 ? If I got that rite. Because it cools them down better idk

6. Feb 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    coganhagen01

Member:
    lagrange Ga
    Vehicle:
    Im a penny pincher but after seeing and hearing my friend and y'all say things I was going to let same people build mine.but im not now so if anyone knows someone reasonable and good in these area that would like to build my 3rd member let me know. Im nervous about doing it my self and don't want to do it twice thanks.

7. Feb 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    coganhagen01

Member:
    lagrange Ga
    Vehicle:
    I think im going to try a detroit front and rear. And if I don't like it I plan on getting a 4 door Tacoma when I get this paid of and done. I may swap out parts and just make this one a trail rig and go serious with it. Idk that what I see in my crystal ball. Lol I got 2 kids 8 and 6, boy and girl and they getting to big for truck already.

8. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    MMyota

MMyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Salem, AL
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner TRD 4x4
    TRD cat back, TRD headers, Airaid CAI, poweraid throttle body spacer, Saw 2.0s, toytec AAL, RG 1" body lift, 4x4/5-speed swap, aussie locker front
    well down here in columbus,ga we got b and b gear and drivetrain. Guy has been doing it for 30 years. He did my rear gears. If you go to his shop he likes to talk on the phone the entire time your there though, kind of rude but hey as long as my shit dont break i got no problems. I wouldnt do a solid locker up front it would be a PITA to turn that thing. Also if your gonna make it a trail rig lose that body lift. I cant emphasive enough how much more enjoyable trails are without a tall ass lift kit. Im running 35s on 3.5-4in of lift. I also had a 00 tacoma with 6in fabtech and 1in body running 37s. You dont need 9in of lift to run that tire size.Keeping a low COG is the way to go. Anything bigger than 35s then you better be comfortable with a wrench cause youll be breaking parts left and right. On 37s i broke a CV every time i went wheeling some lasted a little longer than others but not one made it an entire trip.

Products Discussed in

To Top