1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I use Rustoleum to prevent my roof from getting worse?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bloggerstomper, Jan 31, 2020.

?

Rustoleum or cryoleum

1. Rustoleum

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. Don't fucking touch it and sell your tears to get money

13 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. Feb 2, 2020 at 8:09 AM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    Rattlecan > rusty roof

cruxofthebisquit and ryanbitt like this.
  2. Feb 2, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    For what 1 month.

3. Feb 2, 2020 at 8:15 AM
    Mully

Mully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    CA
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4x4 Lifted Sport
    Lifted, Kings, Locked, 295s and more.
    Sand that crap down to bare steel, primer and paint, you will be fine for a couple of years.

cruxofthebisquit and ryanbitt like this.
  4. Feb 2, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    ryanbitt

ryanbitt Wherever you go...there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Hutto TX
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4
    Wouldn't you like to know!
    I have the same issue on my 07, it's getting worse and worse ever since it started being parked outside. I have been doing a little research on how to DIY and found a few videos that will help. If you are going to rattlecan it then check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hj9VqSnT-bs

I have also thought about wrapping it but just to wrap the roof it would be $600+ and I need my hood and fender flares done as well so I may be going this route too. I mean if you do it right it won't look that bad and should last a few years til you can have it professionally done if you even plan to.

5. Feb 2, 2020 at 8:38 AM
    hoarder23

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Scratches
    The vinyl wrap on my roof only cost me $260 from a reputable shop in San Diego using 3M materials.

ryanbitt[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 2, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    ryanbitt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Hutto TX
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4
    That's pretty good! Is that them prepping it also?

7. Feb 2, 2020 at 8:58 AM
    hoarder23

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Scratches
    Yep, dropped it off cleanish with no roof rails. They prepped and installed.

8. Feb 2, 2020 at 8:59 AM
    ryanbitt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Hutto TX
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4
    The only place I've ever even called was a ceramic coating and wrap place in Austin and they wanted $600 just for labor and materials for the roof :bananadead: It was like $3k to do the whole truck and cap :eek: I thought about trying it myself but the weather isn't really right for it outside right now.

9. Feb 2, 2020 at 9:01 AM
    ryanbitt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Hutto TX
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4
    Maybe I'll just drive the Taco to San Diego for my training trip in March instead of flying lol

10. Feb 2, 2020 at 9:02 AM
    manesfesto

manesfesto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2001 LT Double Cab
    Literally just did the same to my roof. Had a few spots of surface rust. Sanded them all down to metal. Primed and painted it with that exact paint. Holding up just fine. Yeah it’s not perfect but it’s keeping the moisture out and who ever sees your roof anyway?

racerX969 and ryanbitt like this.
  11. Feb 2, 2020 at 9:11 AM
    hoarder23

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Scratches
    I called a few places, I got a few in the 5-600 range but I went to Tint World, try them and see what they say.

12. Feb 2, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    ryanbitt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Hutto TX
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4
    :cheers:

13. Feb 2, 2020 at 9:15 AM
    Thatnoobguy

Thatnoobguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somewhere
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma trd off road with “premium” audio :|
    12 in sub for actual bass
    Local trade school has an auto body shop but this person I know was on the waiting list for like a year and a half....

14. Feb 3, 2020 at 9:23 AM
    trdtacojef

trdtacojef Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB TRD Sport
    OME Dakar Medium duty rear leafs Total Choas UCAs Elka 2.5” Extended Travel CO and Rear Shocks w/ RR and DC FN FX Pro 17” Silver Rims Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/70R17
    If you aren't comfortable doing it - don't. But if you have taken on projects before that challenged you and you are willing to do the research, be methodical and not cut corners - you can do this. If this is your DD and you have to have as little down time as possible and you need someone to just take care of it - then the question becomes how much do you want to spend. I like the idea a lot of these guys are throwing out with getting the rust cleaned up and having it vinyled.

ryanbitt likes this.
  15. Feb 3, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    trdtacojef

trdtacojef Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB TRD Sport
    OME Dakar Medium duty rear leafs Total Choas UCAs Elka 2.5” Extended Travel CO and Rear Shocks w/ RR and DC FN FX Pro 17” Silver Rims Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/70R17
    I've got a similar issue on my 07. I'm getting some clear coat failure. I think I've watched this video a dozen times. We are about to move to a house that has a really nice detached metal two bay garage. Once there, I plan on attacking this. I currently don't have any place to put the truck out of the weather.

16. Feb 3, 2020 at 12:08 PM
    ryanbitt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Hutto TX
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4
    Same here, I have some garage room but with the truck lifted it does not leave much head room to work on the roof. I am thinking more and more about wrapping it though instead.

17. Feb 4, 2020 at 6:54 AM
    JustAddMud

JustAddMud Professional Grease Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    @bloggerstomper it really depends on how in depth you want to go and how much time you have. It is completely possible for you to accomplish this if you want, but being as it is your roof, you'll be moving a step stool around a lot unless you have that fancy portable scaffolding. The video that @ryanbitt posted is an excellent starting point and covers basically what you'd be doing but you'd be doing more of it. Typically the paint on the roof is much thinner than the paint of the rest of the body but that shouldn't matter in this process.

You'll start by removing the plastic roof molding otherwise you'll have to mask that off and it makes it more difficult to blend around the radius. The supplies you'll want are 800 grit sand paper and 1000 grit sand paper (you can use 900 grit or ignore this and just use 800 grit for the final sanding, up to you). You'll want about 4 maybe 5 cans of color match paint. 1 can of automotive primer of your choice and 1 can of clear uv resistant clear coat. Buffing pad and rubbing compound of your choice.

Remove the rust from the roof by whatever is easiest for you to do such as light sanding. I would wet sand in straight lines due to the roof striations for this step and just from the photo you posted, shouldn't take you very long as it looks like superficial surface rust. That big dark spot towards the back looks to be the worst but it shouldn't be very difficult work to take that rust out. It is important that you wet sand because you don't want to introduce deeper scratches and it'll help the surface stay smooth. Once you get the rust off, you'll want to surface clean and wipe down with mineral spirits to clean off any grime. Take the time now to mask off your windows and around the edges of your roof where you don't want over-spray. Follow the video that was posted about heating the roof panel up and apply the primer to exposed metal. Primer wont stick as well to the painted surface or existing clear coat and you shouldn't need much. Let it set up for about 30 minutes to 1 hr before you apply a light coat of color matched paint. Give that first thin coat enough time to dry which should be about 2 to 4 hours depending on temperature and humidity. Spray paint has a tendency of developing an "orange peel"-like texture if you apply heavy so you'll want to keep the coats thin. Keep the rattle can Wet sand with 800 between coats of paint. You'll want to do this at least 4 times. The more you do, the smoother the final coat will be.

Once you're satisfied with the amount of paint on the hood and after it's tacked up, you'll want to start with at least 3 coats of clear coat. Do what you did with the color paint but instead of using the 800 grit, use the 1k grit. Light coats, wet sand between coats. Repeat until satisfied. After it's dried up, you'll want to use the buffing pad and rubbing compound to smooth out any minor imperfections. A light touch and easy movements with the buffing pad. Let the pad do the work just don't hold it in one spot for a long time, keep the pad moving. Finish it off with a wax and polish to shine. Rattle can may take up to 48 hrs to fully cure so try to plan around it.

It's a lot of work so it depends on you if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Bottom line: Remove rust with wet sand, prime exposed metal - let tack before first color coat, light wet sand between coats. Repeat at least 4 times but the more the better. Wet sand prior to clear coat with lighter grit and repeat at least 3 coats following the more is smoother rule and final touch with light buffing compound. Wax to smooth mirror shine.

-J

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    trdtacojef likes this.
  18. Feb 4, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    ktmrdr

ktmrdr Well-Known Member

Member:
    I used the roll on truck liner from Rust-Oleum. 3 years later and no issues. Gives it a texture finish as well.

bloggerstomper[OP] likes this.
  19. Feb 4, 2020 at 4:55 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    When I rebuilt my axle almost a year ago, i sanded rust off, light sanded the rest, then put a coat of Rust Reformer, let dry for 24hrs, then Enamle, let dry for 24hrs.

Year later, still going strong! (Some discoloration from bleeding brake fluid onto it , but for sure no rust or chips)

Screenshot_20200202-051815~2.jpg

bloggerstomper[OP] likes this.
  20. Feb 5, 2020 at 11:26 AM
    bloggerstomper

bloggerstomper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Crumpy
    Thank you so much for that detailed explanation!

My main DIY issue is that since I've never done it and it's my first ever car I am terrified of messing up. I have done other DIY things but nothing so major. I just need to get in the right mindset and do it soonish (I'll probably wait a little longer when the temperatures go up).

But again, thank you immensely!

Products Discussed in

To Top