1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Show me your shell!

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Oscar 319, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Apr 3, 2024 at 7:22 PM
    azhiaziam

azhiaziam Well-Known Member

Member:
    The reef ca
    Vehicle:
    White 2023 trd off-road
    Make sure you take in consideration any taper. I did this on my dodge because it didn’t come with it and there was a huge taper to make them “even”

2. Apr 4, 2024 at 6:28 AM
    Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB SR5 4x4 Expo
    I have a Snug Top Hi-Liner Sport.

The distance between the tracks is 32 1/2", center to center.

Mine are mounted through the honeycomb, not outside of it. Now I'm confused, since this is the opposite of what I learned about composites (long ago, apparently...). Seems the material used as honeycomb for these shells has evolved over the years.

There is also no taper in the track mounting - center to center distance remains constant.

3. Apr 4, 2024 at 10:05 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    Yeah... your not the only one that's confused. Seems half say honey comb/half say outside of it lol. Just got a reply back from Sherpa (mounting a Sherpa crows nest.) They say... "There is no "right" place to put the track; we just recommend putting it in the standard location, which is usually just past the honeycomb." Guess i'll go outside at 44" between tracks as long as i'm not too far into the curvature of the shell on top. Maybe that's why Yakima provides 1" fasteners instead of the 1 1/2" that you need to buy if going through the thicker honey comb portion? :notsure:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  4. Apr 4, 2024 at 4:24 PM
    Scott B.

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB SR5 4x4 Expo
    If I was doing mine myself, I would probably mount the tracks outside of the honeycomb - but it appears not to matter anymore. I've hauled my kayak around on the roof, and have not ever had an issue with the rack - so my honeycomb is non-compressible?

You could try to ask Snug Top (or a really smart dealer) about the honeycomb. They might have some insight.

Otherwise, mounting outside of the honeycomb should be issue-free.

Before you mount the tracks to the roof, why don't you mount the bars to the tracks, with the tracks just sitting on the roof. That will give you an idea as how the bars will sit, and how your tent will mount to the bars.

5. Apr 4, 2024 at 5:27 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    For sure going to mount the bars to tracks to get everything squared up. After more measuring i might just mount on the honeycomb. Outside of it gets too much into the outboard curve of shell and outboard of the black molding on the cab. Used to work with composites and honeycomb building aircraft at Boeing... don't think the 1/2" of it on the shell is going to be an issue plus i'm not torquing the bolts... just snugging up good with a dab of blue lock tite. It's a waste of time dealing with Snugtop now... sounds like they went downhill after covid (built south of the border now and quality went to shit) and might be on their way out from what the local offroad shop that used to carry them here said.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  6. Apr 5, 2024 at 6:05 AM
    Scott B.

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB SR5 4x4 Expo
    SnugTop was purchased by Leer some years ago. Then, they moved all production south of the border.

So, yeah, another great brand lost to corporate greed... :mad:

7. Apr 5, 2024 at 8:23 AM
    azhiaziam

azhiaziam Well-Known Member

Member:
    The reef ca
    Vehicle:
    White 2023 trd off-road
    Yea I just found this out recently too. My dealer has been saying are are the best ones now. Which is why I went with the Mx even though I liked the look of snugtop and leer more. But I’m really starting to dig the Mx on my truck now

IMG_6940.jpg

8. Apr 12, 2024 at 2:59 PM
    uhchxrlie

uhchxrlie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tacoma SR SX Package
    Ranch Skyline Midrise Camper Shell

IMG_3464.jpg

taco_marty, four22, TRlPPlN and 5 others like this.
  9. Apr 25, 2024 at 5:25 PM
    taco_marty

taco_marty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    HI guys, quick question, when they install the campershell, do they remove the OEM plastic rails on the side of the Tacoma, or does the shell sit on top of it?

10. Apr 25, 2024 at 5:34 PM
    uhchxrlie

uhchxrlie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tacoma SR SX Package
    Shell sits on top. Many people (myself included) try and waterproof the plastic rails. There are threads about it in some places.

taco_marty[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Apr 26, 2024 at 8:24 AM
    scmedic85

scmedic85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greig
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4WD
    As mentioned it’s over the plastic. But if you run the shell for a long time or over rough terrain the plastic rails will be damaged when you remove the shell. And I’m missing all the paint under those rails.

taco_marty[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top