1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Show me your shell!

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Oscar 319, Aug 28, 2008.

1. May 20, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I've had a snugtop tonneau cover and a shell before and the quality is excellent but just a bit pricey.
    Leer's are cheaper though. 100XR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

McFlywannabe likes this.
  2. May 26, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    thegoldrun

thegoldrun Member

Member:
    Boulder, Colorado
    no badges, 265/70R17 BFG
    2009 Tacoma TRD Sport w Snugtop XV (Xtra Vision) and Sportsmans package (500lb roof capacity) Thule 430 + TK1 + LB58

[​IMG]

3. May 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM
    mb09

mb09 Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 CC LB
    thegoldrun,

I'm up in somewhat county, co looking of a similar cap where'd you go and what'd you spend?

4. May 27, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    thegoldrun

thegoldrun Member

Member:
    Boulder, Colorado
    no badges, 265/70R17 BFG
    You mean Summit? I lived up there for a bit when I first moved to Colorado. I bought this shell at AA Toppers in Lakewood for $2300, paid extra for the reinforced roof and Thule tracks.

5. May 27, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    thegoldrun

thegoldrun Member

Member:
    Boulder, Colorado
    no badges, 265/70R17 BFG
    3_TACOS_NEVER_ENOUGH likes this.
  6. May 27, 2009 at 9:55 PM
    mb09

mb09 Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 CC LB
    Thanks, for the reply. Yeah, I think everyone spends sometime in Summit at during there time in CO.

7. May 31, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hertford NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    I just picked up my Leer 100XR yesterday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3_TACOS_NEVER_ENOUGH and Sandbur like this.
  8. Jun 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM
    NorCalTacoma

NorCalTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    09 SW Dbl Cab LB TRD Sport 4x4
    Snug top with remote open,Bilstein 5100, rubber bed mat,Kmc Addicts, Duratracs,Pioneer Z150, Arc 900x6, Memphis Mojo Pro Components f&r,2x12 Memphis shallow mount subs.
    Just ordered my new Snugtop Super Sport last week. I got the remote power lock option also. Dealer said about 3 weeks to get it in. I can't wait till it gets here.

9. Jun 1, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    SHunter080703

SHunter080703 Well-Known Member

Member:
    jolayiv, looks good. :thumbsup:

10. Jun 1, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    01GREENTACO

01GREENTACO Not all who wander are lost

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Lost track many, many mods ago.
  11. Jun 1, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hertford NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    Thanks man. I love it!:D

12. Jun 8, 2009 at 4:24 PM
    geolink

geolink Well-Known Member

Member:
    SILVER STATE
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB MagGray TRD SPORT
    Weathertech mats and hood protector, RuffTuff seat covers, padded console, Redline Hood Struts, Snugtop canopy w/Thule Rack, TSB rear springs plus AAL, 5100's all around OME 885 front coils, LR UCA, Avid Step Bars, LT265/70R17 BFG AT on stock Sport Rims
    Snugtop cab hi on long bed - with all the stuff. $1500 installed (includes $100 off coupon expired end of May). Problem with rear latch/lock system, which the dealer is replacing. It fits just like it says - snug. I like the 6 point connection. Thule rack system extra $400. These have more overlap finish on rails, I have noticed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jun 13, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    agtex42

agtex42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Leer 100R with the Wilderness Package and Windoors. Got the front windows tinted to match and I'm lovin it so far, just need to get some black wheels to finish it out.

[​IMG]

14. Jun 13, 2009 at 12:44 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dude, that is exactly what I'm trying to get a quote for. I gotta have more inside and out pics and more info on how well you like the windoors. I'm also thinking of getting the windoors with a slider. What do you think about a slider on them? How much did ya pay if you don't mind me asking?
    btw, sweet looking ride too!!

15. Jun 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    my snugtop super sport is being made as we speak..... should be here in two weeks

16. Jun 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    jim that looks so good!

17. Jun 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    agtex42

Member:
    I love the Windoors, all the other campers I've dealt with in the past did not have them and they (the windoors) really do give you back the utility of your bed. I used to hate having to crawl into the back of a truck just to load stuff into the side or front of the bed, but with the Windoors that's a thing of the past. I will say that the camper was pretty expensive (just over 2 grand shipped and installed), but I got everything that I wanted and I believe that it was worth the cost. I would have much rather spent a little extra money up front then realize six months from now that I should have added a few more options. The Wilderness Package is a pretty decent deal, I like the Loader Bars for hauling stuff and the Carpet Headliner is good for extra insulation. The lockable box came from the factory with the access door mounted on the inboard side of the camper, so I turned it around so I could get to it from the Driver's Windoor (I'm not sure why they don't do this to begin with as it is much easier to use this way). I was able to fit my Remington 870 into it with no problems although it was a tight fit getting it in. I liked the idea of having a secure gun box in the camper, however I wouldn't put any of my scoped rifles in there as there is no way to keep them from bouncing around once you get them in the box. I may try to make some kind of padded mount that will just rest in the bottom of the box, I'll have to see how much free time I have in the next couple of weeks. Overall I'm very happy with the purchase, the fit and finish are good and Leer has a pretty good warranty as well. Mine took about a month from the time I ordered it to have it installed but it was well worth the wait. Let me know if you'd like any more details or specific pictures.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Jun 13, 2009 at 2:26 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I really shouldn't have read this thread. I was leaning towards the BAK G2 cover but saw pictures in this thread. Now a cap is looking mighty tempting. Love all the pictures! Only problem is that I carry my atv in the back. Oh the choices:confused:

19. Jun 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    agtex42-thanks for the great write up on your top, + rep for great info!

a few more questions, is the gun case easily removed? I think I would only need it in there during hunting season. And also, does it go all the way to the back, possibly hindering the height of a dog box in the bed? (could I possibly get a measurement from the bed to the bottom of the case so I could see if my dog box would fit?)

Is the deflector thingy on the front easily removed? Does the functionality of the track system change with or without it attached?

Is there a lip that comes down over the inside of the bed rail where it is clamped to the bed?

I hope my questions are clear enough and I apologize for them all but it's so hard to cough up that much money for a shell. I just want to do this right the first time if I decide to pull the trigger.

one more thing, could I see a pic of your 870 inside the case with the door open?:eek: Just curious about the room........sorry to ask so much............

20. Jun 13, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    agtex42

Member:
    No problem, I hear ya on the price thing. I think that if I were to do it again I could have probably gotten away with just the carpeted headliner, windoors, and the load bars (without the fairing). I'm not sure what the cost savings would have been, a lot of that depends on the dealer you go through as well. One Leer dealer quoted me $1200 for the shell, $300 for the windoors, $150 for the front slider and $200 for the install (I didn't bother asking about the Package deal). The dealer I bought from had the shell for $1099 Installed, $160 for the windoors, $98 for the slider and like $600 for the Wilderness Package). Now to try to answer your questions:

1. The gun case is held in by self drilling/tapping screws and is very easy to remove/rotate so the door opens to the driver's side. It mounts almost in the middle of the camper when viewed from the side and about eight inches from the driver's side. It measures 29" from the bottom of the box to the bed surface and leaves you 28" of floor-to-ceiling usable room between the box and the passenger side wheel well.

2. The deflector thingy (aka fairing) is mounted to the rack by four clamps and is very easy to remove. It's designed to promote better aerodynamics and reduce wind-noise caused by the loader bars. Functionality of the bars are not affected.

3. There is no lip on the inside of the camper and you retain full use of your tie down system.

4. To get the 870 to fit I have to put it in barrel end first and then slightly compress the buttstock pad to get the stock into the box, like I said before there's no way I'll be transporting a gun in the box until I have some kind of secure mounting system rigged up. It will probably end up being used as an odds and ends storage compartment if I can't find something that will work.

With all that being said, you might be able save some money by eliminating the front slider and the Wilderness package and instead adding all the options you want (carpet/loader bars/windoors/etc) piece by piece but it's all going to depend on how good of a deal you can get from your distributor. I had to drive a little over an hour to get to my dealer but is was well worth it considering the money I saved over the local guy.

Products Discussed in

To Top