1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Show my your aftermarket hitch receiver

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Raven65, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Mar 1, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    I just bought a new '09 reg. cab 2WD 2.7L and I'm trying to decide which receiver hitch to buy. Is there a preferred make (Hidden Hitch, DrawTite, other) that fits better or hides under the bumper better?

The heaviest thing I'll be towing (and not very far at that) will be my 17' Bayliner bowrider boat - which is weighs just over 2000 lbs empty with the trailer, so I'm guessing it's still well below 2500 lbs. fully loaded with fuel & gear - which gives my plenty of cushion below the 3500-lb rated towing capacity of the truck. I could probably even get away with sticking a ball on the bumper and using that, but I'd feel better with a frame-mounted receiver hitch.

Anyway... if any of you have any pictures of your receiver (without the draw bar/ball in it if possible), I'd appreciate seeing them.

Thanks

2. Mar 1, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Welcome to TW!

I highly recommend a frame mounted hitch. You want a minimum of a class 3 hitch.

Usually around $130 installed. If you install it yourself it will save some money.

Do not tow your boat with a bumper ball. Much safer & stronger with the frame mounted hitch. & any brand will do. They are all the same. I have a hidden hitch & pull an 18' Ranger bass boat. Weighs around 3500 with steel trailer & gear.

Bumper ball would be fine for light loads, like a jon boat or light utility trailer.

Check your local auto accessory stores for hitches or uhaul. Also ebay. Others on here may know of good places to find one for cheap.

$129
    http://search.cartserver.com/search...&keywords=2007&keywords_2=TOYOTA+TACOMA&GO=GO!

$142
    http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-iii-receiver-hitch-p-730.html

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Mar 1, 2009 at 11:18 PM
    stevigee

stevigee It's a MOD, MOD World

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevigee
    Amarillo Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRAIL TEAMS FJ CRUISER
    TRADED FOR 2010 FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM Kenwood KDC x792 deck and SW1 pwr sub,cruise,intermittent wipers,hidden hitch, tint, debadge,Nitto Grapplers 265/75-16,Black Powder Coated Toyota Steelies, black steel Toyota wheel center caps, Vent Visors, front guard, leather seat covers, black front badge, shortie antenna, tow hook, seat maglite mod, shock & leaf spring TSB, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, custom black Fabwright rock sliders 1 3/4" DOM tubing w/ kickout, skid plate, Pop-A-Lock, Bilsten 5100 shocks, BLHM, Azela black tail lights, LEER topper w/rack, tent
    Hidden Hitch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mar 1, 2009 at 11:25 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors