1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Show off your Bestop Supertops!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomathunder, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Mar 11, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    n0rth

n0rth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab SR5, 4wd, 2.7L URD S/C, 4:88's ARB lockers, 36x9.8r16 Radial TSL

Last I checked Can-Back was not producing a topper for the 05+ Tacomas yet, Are they producing one now and if so do you have the link for it?

2. Mar 11, 2011 at 8:28 AM
    DumpTruckTacoma

DumpTruckTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD Off Road
    I just recieved and installed mine last night. Did anyone else end up with an extremely oversized rear window crossbar? The instructions said nothing about cutting it down, but it is impossible to fit it in the current length.

TT hope you got your zipper issue resolved. I found that theres one line in the instructions that simplifies the whole process... Instead of using the last chamber for the cam to sit in, but it in the first one. Relieves alot of tension making the zippers easier.

3. Mar 11, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater

Thanks, tried this but must have messed something up.

Just looked at their prices though, almost double what they sell for in the USA, and our money is worth more! I don't think so haha.

Price: Can$ 749.95 / EA

4. Mar 11, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    I emailed can-back a week ago asking about a top for my doublecab I got no resonse so I emailed a dealer of can-back to ask what was up with the company, here is the response I received

"
    Rob,

CanBack changed ownership a while ago, and it took five attempts for them to find a steel fabricator that would produce the quality of work they required.

They had hired a canvas sewing company that performed a lot of work for GM, and this was in place from the beginning.

However, just as they were ready to roll into full production, GM declared bankruptcy, and this sewing company did not survive.

CanBack is now in the process of tooling up another canvas vendor.

It will probably be another four months before they are ready for production on your top."

So there you go. approx. 4 months, maybe.

5. Mar 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Well shit

Got my Bestop in this week and went to install it today. Had the whole thing put together and went to extend the canopy out to attach the rear and guess what?

They boxed up a 5ft canvas and beams into my 6ft kit :mad:

Called Bestop and they are going to ship me the right stuff, but they are on backorder and won't get it in for at least 3 weeks :(

6. Mar 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    I use my bestop to camp in and it hardly leaks. I have been in some wicked storms with it camping in the back I have designed my platform away from the besides so even if it did leak more than I wanted it would just drain out the bottom. The windows were a big selling point I think the non window toppers do not look good and kinda have a get in the van I have candy look haha. I have had mine for a two years and the windows are just fine. I replaced one that a tornado took out but thats it.

7. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Use PlastX to remove scratches from the windows.

8. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    We all have our own pro's and con's and level of what is acceptable but for me a statement like that would leave me looking someplace else if I was paying for something to use to keep my stuff dry.

I think the Bestop looks good I just feel like after all the comments and reviews I have read it is a little hit or miss on its quality.

9. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    The bed in not going to sealed. It is going to let water through the tailgate and the drain hole in the front of the bed no matter what top in on their. And my bestop only lets water in when I take pressure washer to the front corners and even then its barely any.

10. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    Hoyal

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    All toppers leak. I had a snug top on my F150 and it leaked just as much as my bestop. If you want something that functions like a truck but has a roof get an SUV. When I say leaks I mean a little trickle from the front corners just like a hard topper. My gear has never been wet, I have used my truck as a trail vehicle on many week long trips into different areas for mtn biking and the gear is always ok.

11. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    Hoyal

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    LOL Thats what I just said. I have had many toppers they all let water in somewhere. Some people will never understand I guess. I have had top of the line toppers and they all leaked in the same places you can put more weather stripping in but it does not concern me.

12. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Well to say they ALL leak is a bit exaggerated. Plenty of people claim they have no leaks at all with various toppers and used in a variety of conditions. I also have friends with different toppers who have no leaks.

I wouldnt expect submarine sealed by any means I realize its fabric. My observations are simply based on what others have posted who own the various products and what I have seen, but if you are happy with the performance of your top then thats great.

13. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:58 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    The fabric its self does not leak. Water WILL get in no matter the top on the truck.

14. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    bluesurfur

bluesurfur Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    CO
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner
    Soft Topper Stereo upgrade
    I have a softopper and it leaks a little. Under very heavy rains water finds it way in the front corners at the bottom. It is not enough to make you worry about your cargo. Many times I have had suit cases in the back and the outside of the case might get slightly damp but all of its contents are always dry.

15. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Ok I will let my buddies know that there IS water in the beds of their trucks even though they have never seen any.:rolleyes:

16. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    You live in SoCal. The rain is not heavy/at the angles that it needs to be for water to get in. So don't be stupid.

17. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    bluesurfur

bluesurfur Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    CO
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner
    Soft Topper Stereo upgrade
    Not attempting to prove anybody right or wrong.....just sharing my experience to help others in their decision of whether or not to buy.

18. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    My dear boy, I realize it is the internet and everyone feels empowered but watch your mouth.

Now on to the discussion. Am a disagreeing with the general statement that all toppers leak based on what I have seen and the experiences shared by others.

Now you are qualifying your position with, well it doesnt rain much where you live and the rain is not at the right angles? So ALL toppers in fact do not leak UNLESS they are someplace other than Southern California?

Ok anyway this has turned silly. To people that may come to this thread looking for some insight as to what to buy, good luck I hope where ever you live your choice works out as you hope.

19. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    Listen to your own words, jackass.

I never siad all toppers leak. I said not matter what topper is on the truck, water will get in through the tail gate and the drain holes. So learn how to read.

20. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    davestaco

davestaco TW's number one gear whore

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Schofield Barracks
    Vehicle:
    00' tacoma xtra cab trd v6 4x4
    hey hey hey lets keep it cool guys. this has potential to be a very good and informative thred. We are all adults here lets act like it. We dont need another perfectly good thred ruined cause Chris had to come in here and drop the ban hammer. I think we all know at least a tiny bit of water is gonna find its way in no matter what we do. and if it really is sealed your gonna have water from condeinsation.

Edit: i just found a bestop for 200 used. i think i might go for it. The guy said he would hook me up and give me is ARB and the Bestop for 700

Products Discussed in

To Top