1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Show off your Cooper ST Maxx

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Chux, Oct 4, 2014.

?

Do your Maxxs pull ?

1. To the right

231 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. To the left

20 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Neither, drives straight down the road

474 vote(s)
    65.4%
  1. Mar 17, 2019 at 6:50 PM
    Emosk

Emosk Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eli
    Vehicle:
    2005 silver tacoma TRD off-road 6 speed manual
    none so far
    I'm deciding between the duratracs and the ST Maxx what made you want to switch

2. Mar 17, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    Chux

Chux [OP] Pura Vida

Member:
    NJ beaches
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD O/R Beach Buggy
    Click on my Build
    Currently 285/75/17 (34s) Maxxs with Icons up front and Biltein B110s in the rear

1070491F-9ACA-4EE4-AF8A-3950743314D5.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  3. Mar 17, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    Yota_Ivan

Yota_Ivan Geaux Tigers!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Arlington, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    A little bit of this, a little bit of that...
    I know you were asking @Taco.Dan , but i'll tell you what I experienced with my Duratrac. Mine were 265 70R17 and my truck is stock.

They were noisy (I know, I know)
    Slick as hell in wet asphalt
    Had to rebalance more frequently than other A/T or M/T tires I've had.

Bluegrass Taco likes this.
  4. Mar 18, 2019 at 6:43 AM
    Emosk

Emosk Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eli
    Vehicle:
    2005 silver tacoma TRD off-road 6 speed manual
    none so far
    3 inch lift I'm Guessing?

5. Mar 18, 2019 at 10:51 AM
    Yota_Ivan

Yota_Ivan Geaux Tigers!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Arlington, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    A little bit of this, a little bit of that...
    Very nice rig!

Bilstien 110 = 5100 ??

6. Mar 18, 2019 at 10:58 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Anyone else finding they have trouble with their ST Maxx in snow this season?

Its weird, when we got our first couple of big snow falls in the mountains out here, the tires performed great...hardly any slipping or loss of traction unless I was trying to go up a really steep incline, which is expected.

But the past couple of weekends, even when doing some trails that I did 3 months ago in the same snow conditions, I've been struggling hard to go up the same hills with the same amount of snow. I even had to get strapped to the back of my buddies truck to get up one of them while he climbed up it no problem.

I can't really make sense of it other than that maybe there's more ice underneath the snow this late in the winter/early spring, or maybe these tires just aren't as good in the snow as I thought they were? My buddy that went up the hill no problem had Toyo ATs on, but he also had a 2nd gen with considerably more weight than my first gen so maybe that had something to do with it.

Just an observation I've had lately, wondering how you guys find your STMaxx in the snow?

7. Mar 18, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    You've identified the challenge - the snow is not the same. For one the early season snow you encountered right after a snow fall, likely was much less dense. Later in the season, those early snow falls have condensed, have had ice layers from temperature fluctuations, sun, and freezing cycles, and if driven on previously are now packed down into potentially very icy conditions. End result is more resistance in the depth of snow you are pushing through, and less friction available at your point of tire contact. A predictable result. Wait till you climb up a road you've gone up before, and feel yourself loose momentum and start sliding backwards downhill. Conditions will change between morning, afternoon and night.

Rick_Taco, ready6delta and G.T. like this.
  8. Mar 18, 2019 at 11:34 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    I suspected that might be the case, thanks!

Yeah a couple weeks ago me and a few other guys were on an otherwise fairly simple trail, but came upon a shadowy hill climb that was still snowed over. I went first and got maybe halfway up before the tires started spinning and next thing I know I'm sliding downhill with a big drop-off to one side. Luckily I could still steer myself and managed to control it but yeah, packed/icy snow is no joke

9. Mar 18, 2019 at 12:03 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Chains are the answer there. Rear wheels - V block style, Front wheels, chains are risky - you have clearance issues between the tire and UCA, and if they come loose, a lot of damage can occur. Watch your transmission temp if you have that capability, crawling in snow can be very hard on the transmission.

ready6delta and G.T. like this.
  10. Mar 18, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    Chux

Chux [OP] Pura Vida

Member:
    NJ beaches
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD O/R Beach Buggy
    Click on my Build
    I had V bar chains for my 255/80/17, I sold them when I got 285/75/17 and bout a set of non V bar. Straight chain will work good without the risk of V bars tearing out your wheel wells lol

https://youtu.be/Pms2Kh1yGYU

11. Mar 18, 2019 at 1:47 PM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Got a manual so don't really need to worry about the trans, but yeah I think next year I'm going to get some chains for this scenario...I have a set of "show 'em chains" (for getting through the chains checkpoint on the highway up the mountain) but they're for my older 32" KO2s, gotta get a new set to fit the Coopers

12. Mar 18, 2019 at 3:14 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    On the manual, the clutch takes the abuse.

13. Mar 18, 2019 at 3:16 PM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Oh believe me I know lol

VE7OSR[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Mar 18, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    ovrlndkull

ovrlndkull STUKASFK - HC4LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    63s, XD Machete, Beat not Babied
  15. Mar 20, 2019 at 8:49 AM
    whiskeytacos

whiskeytacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    New York
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB Off Road MGM
    OME 886 springs on 90000 struts Total Chaos UCA OME Dakar + AAL energy suspension steering rack and sway bar bushings SCS SR8 wheels Cooper ST Maxx 285/85r16 Pelfreybilt IFS skid plate Pelfreybilt hidden winch mount broken ass winch Softopper All Pro Off Road OTT pack rack
    -ish. Whatever the OME 886 springs and dakars with AAL give me. I'm usually weighed down so I don't see the full lift an empty truck would have

16. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:35 PM
    ptrick

ptrick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Ever noticed on the tire has holes on the outer edge? I was wondering if those are meant for Tires Stud for traction control for snow?

17. Mar 21, 2019 at 6:29 AM
    doublethebass

doublethebass aspiring well-known member

Member:
    First Name:
    Antoin
    Minneapolis MN
    Vehicle:
    ’17 6MT Pro
    Yep

From TIRE RACK:

The Discoverer S/T Maxx is Cooper's On-/Off- Road Commercial Traction light truck tire developed for the drivers of pickup trucks, SUVs, full-size crossovers and vans looking for a tough tire that provides the traction needed to navigate the loose terrain of job sites, gravel roads and off-road use. In addition to off-road capabilities, the Discoverer S/T Maxx is designed to deliver confident paved-road performance in dry, wet and wintry conditions, including snow.

The Discoverer S/T Maxx utilizes a cut- and chip-resistance compound molded into a symmetric, hybrid four-five rib design for low pattern noise and to promote even wear. The open pattern and multiple block edges provide the clawing traction necessary when negotiating soft, uneven soil, rocks or gravel. Stone ejector ribs and the non-parallel groove walls help resist rock retention, improving longevity by preventing stone drills that may potentially damage a tire. In-block sipes create the biting edges needed for traction in wet conditions, and the high-void pattern provides ample drainage away from the footprint for hydroplaning resistance. Discoverer S/T Maxx tires are molded to accept optional #15 metal studs to enhance traction on packed snow and ice.

Cooper's Armor Tek3 construction utilizes two 90 degree radial body plies, in addition to a third body ply with an eight degree bias to help reduce gaps between sidewall body cord. Two high-strength steel belts support the tread, while the nylon reinforcement above the steel belts provide high speed durability.

Lord Helmet likes this.
  18. Mar 21, 2019 at 6:32 AM
    whiskeytacos

whiskeytacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    New York
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB Off Road MGM
    OME 886 springs on 90000 struts Total Chaos UCA OME Dakar + AAL energy suspension steering rack and sway bar bushings SCS SR8 wheels Cooper ST Maxx 285/85r16 Pelfreybilt IFS skid plate Pelfreybilt hidden winch mount broken ass winch Softopper All Pro Off Road OTT pack rack
    Yes, these are studdable tires.

doublethebass likes this.
  19. Mar 21, 2019 at 11:24 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Putting 16” on next to see how I like them.

20. Mar 22, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    photogr4x4

photogr4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Nada
    255/85r16 put on my 2016 today, ever so slight pull to the right. Easy to mitigate.

Products Discussed in

To Top