1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Show off your custom subwoofer boxes!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Ihatetacomas, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Dec 8, 2016 at 3:44 PM
    ratcityrain

ratcityrain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    OEM Running boards |oemassive headlights | winjet tail lights | led lighting | hid headlight & fogs | oem tri-fold Bed cover | Custom dual JL Audio 10tw3-d4 sub box and custom amp rack | black off road wheels | painted oem grille | jbl door speakers |
    ^ I am on my 3rd system too - hopefully this one is the one lol

Aw9d likes this.
  2. Dec 8, 2016 at 4:20 PM
    ManBeast

ManBeast Well Feared Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Orange Park FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB:TOTALED-> 2014 4R TRAIL
    Carpet from Amazon

3. Dec 8, 2016 at 6:38 PM
    ratcityrain

ratcityrain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    OEM Running boards |oemassive headlights | winjet tail lights | led lighting | hid headlight & fogs | oem tri-fold Bed cover | Custom dual JL Audio 10tw3-d4 sub box and custom amp rack | black off road wheels | painted oem grille | jbl door speakers |
    I am going to first attempt a fascia cover that will cover the box and then go up higher to cover the vents and window motor

4. Dec 8, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    TacoRMZ

TacoRMZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma
    Do you happen to have a step by step tutorial with pictures you could provide a few of us less creative people LOL:D But seriously that looks really clean and I plan on making something similar, a few tips would be helpful!!

5. Dec 8, 2016 at 10:09 PM
    dumontrider

dumontrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 GX460
    Thank you, I'm 98% happy with it lol. I had pics of the process when I did it a few years ago but they got deleted. Here's a novel about the process:

I used sheets of cardboard to make a 1:1 model of it after I took basic measurements. Be sure to pay attention to the joints, on cardboard it doesnt matter but with the MDF it makes a big difference if piece A goes over, under, or buts up to piece B. I tried to make all the horizontal pieces lay on top of vertical sheets so it was less likely to rip out the screws if someone sat or leaned hard on the top surface. Hard to explain in text but imagine the frame of a bookshelf, the top piece fills it out from edge to edge, the upright pieces are under it to support the weight. Once I had the design & joints all planned out I re-drew my model on paper with the new measurements taking into account the thickness of the MDF. The hardest part was getting the joint tight on the angled piece up against the console. If you have a compound mitre saw or big belt sander it would be easier. Next I drilled pilot & countersink holes for the screws. Then cut out my speaker & terminal holes, caulked the terminal in, and put down as much glue on the joints as I could. Screws hold it while the glue dries. Then I caulked all interior seams & sanded all the exterior joints to round them off for the upholsterer. I ran it without upholstery to make sure it didn't vibrate or leak air. Upholstery was stupid cheap, $70 for fancy stitching, high density foam all around, 2 tone vinyl & not 1 inch of exposed wood, done 6 hours after I dropped it off. This was something I didn't account for in my dimensions: foam & upholstery add about 1/4 - 1/2" on all sides.

Good luck. I learned a lot & this humbled me when it came to what woodworking skills I thought I had. The saving grace is that no matter how ugly it comes out, upholstery will cover it up as long as its stout.

Edit: I did my own because it's impossible to find this box for an 8" square sub, also my front seats are 100% unaffected & can both recline fully at the same time. The rear seats are only effected in that I have to slide the box a few inches to tilt 1 side open. I cant stand boxes that inconvenience me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    ratcityrain likes this.
  6. Dec 8, 2016 at 11:44 PM
    ManBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Orange Park FL
    Vehicle:
    Like mine lol

7. Dec 13, 2016 at 4:44 PM
    Hayseed

Hayseed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma sport TRD
    Clazzio vinyl seat covers, decal, auto drop running boards, chrome rear letters chrome rear tail light bezels and bed release cover. Painted grill, polished aluminum cover over black grill in sport hood. Polished alum. wheels. Form fitting flor mats
    I have no idea what to do to upgrade factory radio. I have no knowledge of what a woofer or tweeter is. I would just like to maybe add to the radio for a step up in quality. I how some speakers from an old stereo unit. I thought of putting them in to the truck. But don't know what else or even if i should. Would I need something like an amp for some reason or other. Would I better need to just add a woofer, and what would that do! I am in the dark. If you could refer me to a website I could maybe start there, I don't know

8. Dec 13, 2016 at 5:20 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Man of Steel TRD Ignorance is the new normal

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Ram Limited Night Edition, 91 300ZXTT, 90 Toyota Pickup ECLB
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    I didn't want to replace my head unit because of the integration and nav so everything runs through kicker zxsum8 then out to 4 channel amp for door speakers and mono amp for subs.
    20160713_201100.jpg

ManBeast likes this.
  9. Dec 13, 2016 at 6:28 PM
    ManBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Orange Park FL
    Vehicle:
    Do what most of us all did, google the shit out of stuff you dont understand.

ratcityrain and Man of Steel TRD like this.
  10. Dec 14, 2016 at 3:58 PM
    TacoRMZ

TacoRMZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma
    If your just wanting your music to sound a little clearer and maybe louder then I would just get some aftermarket door speakers. Wouldn't cost a fortune and aren't a pain to install. If you wan't your truck to be real loud and the bass to be super deep and you want to be able to feel it, then I would definitely go with a amp, a sub of your size choice, tweeters and door speakers. Some good brands are Pioneer, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Poweracoustik and a few more but you can also choose the size sub you want, for something a little less crazy, the 12 inch subwoofer is the way to go but if you want a big, expensive system the 15 inch and up is what your gonna want. I would recommend an aftermarket radio for sure if you still have the stock one in it.

ManBeast likes this.
  11. Dec 14, 2016 at 4:32 PM
    ManBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Orange Park FL
    Vehicle:
    Im thinking about building a new bx for the 15s. The subs up port up is wreaking havok on my roof.

12. Dec 14, 2016 at 4:34 PM
    ManBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Orange Park FL
    Vehicle:
    Clean.

13. Dec 14, 2016 at 4:59 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Man of Steel TRD Ignorance is the new normal

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Ram Limited Night Edition, 91 300ZXTT, 90 Toyota Pickup ECLB
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    Thanks you sir. :hattip:

ManBeast[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Dec 14, 2016 at 5:25 PM
    dumontrider

dumontrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 GX460
    Best woofer ever

[​IMG]

Man of Steel TRD likes this.
  15. Dec 14, 2016 at 6:49 PM
    ManBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Orange Park FL
    Vehicle:
  16. Dec 16, 2016 at 8:14 AM
    brysonallenn6

brysonallenn6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    Georgetown, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab
    3" Leveling Kit, 5% Tint, Smoked tail lights, 20x10 Fuel Mavericks and 33" Federal m/t, Led Concepts Colorshift wheel rings, (retrofit headlights coming soon)
    This is by far the best build I have found for an access cab

ManBeast likes this.
  17. Dec 16, 2016 at 1:49 PM
    ManBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Orange Park FL
    Vehicle:
    I like when they cushion the top of a box and make the box the seat

18. Dec 16, 2016 at 1:50 PM
    ManBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Orange Park FL
    Vehicle:
    So im thinking of making a new box with a square/rectangle port facing foward in between the seats.and having the flange of the port painted soundqubed green

Products Discussed in

To Top