1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Show off your Mountain Bike!!!

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by godofspeed, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Sep 13, 2020 at 7:39 PM
    GRNT4R

GRNT4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC - Triad
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DCLB 4WD Silver
    TBD
    Geometry is going to matter for comfort. Definitely ride diff bikes to see what feels good to you. You want something that can be upgraded in the future so tapered headset, thru axles and 1X front drive train is important features which the salsa and Kona both have. Both also have an air fork up front which are on the same levels as each other. A Fox or Pike fork is better but that’s a diff price range and can always be acquired later with an upgrade as your skill set grows. Size and fit is really important. You don’t want to be reaching too far or be uncomfortable after a short ride

2. Sep 13, 2020 at 7:43 PM
    Chocolates

Chocolates Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle or Bellingham
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB
    Unicorns and glitter
    This for certain. If possible, ride the bikes you're interested for more than just a pedal in the parking lot. Also, if you ride now, ask friends/folks on the trail to try different setups. Most folks around my area are pretty helpful, and a beer in the parking lot only makes that easier :)

3. Sep 13, 2020 at 7:55 PM
    slowlane

slowlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    Jumping down to a 1k budget? Is this more realistic for a beginner?

I do like to live by the buy once cry once method, but $1000 is alot of money. But it seems like quality, reliability, and capability seem to drop significantly with the $1000 dollar budget bikes. Not to dis on $1000 bikes by any means.

Being stuck at home indoors, not going out to restaurants, and not having a single hobby has made me realize how boring I am and how much money I have been saving by not going out. I guess I'm trying to find a hobby that isn't costing me an arm and a leg and not knowing how long this hobby can last.

Haha shit maybe I'm just in over my head. Who knows.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  4. Sep 13, 2020 at 8:10 PM
    GRNT4R

GRNT4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC - Triad
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    I think it will be hard to find and air fork within that budget along with a 1X drivetrain. My initial bike was a Specialized Pitch Expert before I knew what I wanted to do. It was under 1000. Kept it one season and sold
    It and bought my Kona for 1500$. You will also need to invest in a good set of pedals but you can get some raceface Chester’s for around 40$.
    Dropping to $1000 or below will also more than likely limit your ability to upgrade later and cost you more in the long run. But once cry once for sure.

5. Sep 13, 2020 at 8:36 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Maybe look into something in the used market? A grand is indeed a lot. But it's sort of at the bottom of the ladder for quality mtb. Even Walmart's new bike is more toward $6k than $1k (which is where you'd expect them to be).

You can save money with a manufacturer that offers different component packages. Each of the packages offer a different quality level. XT and XTR are top of the line. Most everything else will be some combination of off-brand components and house brand components. With a quality mfg, you'll do OK at the lower end but will probably wonder why you didn't go XT (XTR is not worth it unless you're a gear head or a really good rider).

Anyway, look at used bikes-you can definitely find a quality bike for less money.

6. Sep 13, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    slowlane

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    This is likely what I'll end up doing if I drop the budget to 1000 or less. Selling and then trading up. Like we said buy once cry one. Appreciate the info man!!

7. Sep 13, 2020 at 8:48 PM
    slowlane

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    Def not opposed to the used market. Ive kind of been looking off and on.

Had no idea walmart had bike like that. Is it actually worth a darn? Or is it one of thier mountain bikes that have a disclaimer on the bike that says don't use as a mountain bike. Haha.

8. Sep 13, 2020 at 8:54 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Surprisingly, Pink Bike said it was OK.

9. Sep 13, 2020 at 8:58 PM
    MattJakobs

MattJakobs Everything but a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1985 4Runner w/ FlipPac
    Karate Monkey’s are fun :)

17FBBC28-538F-4B93-9B73-70AFFE638338.jpg

10. Sep 13, 2020 at 9:20 PM
    singletrack_ftw

singletrack_ftw “I chopped the wrong leaf!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD OR 4wd
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/singletrack’s-‘dad-shred-build-thread’-i’m-just-doing-it-for-the-kids.619250/ Sos offroad sliders (kickout + filler) Sos offroad full belly skids (steel) Sos offroad front recovery point Sos offroad concepts HC rear bumper with bedside kickout tubes Marlin Crawler LCA frame brace kit Trail Gear rear diff cover Bilstein 5100 + OME 885 Total Chaos UCA BILSTEIN b110 OME Dakar standard pack Wheelers Ubolt flip kit Wheelers Superbump f/r Wheelers SS extended brake lines FN five star 16x8 -25 Milestar Patagonia MT 315/75r16 Custom projector retrofit (acme super h1 + morimoto 4300k) Baja Designs S2 sport ditch pods on CBI ditch pod mounts Amazon AMAK rock lights CMC CB radio hardmount
    Transition sentinel

72B25BC8-DEB5-4E66-9755-01B8AE054C5F.jpg
    E97BE055-ED81-4A56-A466-C5866A732877.jpg

11. Sep 13, 2020 at 9:39 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Transition is a very affordable bike and from what I can tell, it's a great value.

12. Sep 13, 2020 at 9:51 PM
    singletrack_ftw

singletrack_ftw “I chopped the wrong leaf!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD OR 4wd
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/singletrack’s-‘dad-shred-build-thread’-i’m-just-doing-it-for-the-kids.619250/ Sos offroad sliders (kickout + filler) Sos offroad full belly skids (steel) Sos offroad front recovery point Sos offroad concepts HC rear bumper with bedside kickout tubes Marlin Crawler LCA frame brace kit Trail Gear rear diff cover Bilstein 5100 + OME 885 Total Chaos UCA BILSTEIN b110 OME Dakar standard pack Wheelers Ubolt flip kit Wheelers Superbump f/r Wheelers SS extended brake lines FN five star 16x8 -25 Milestar Patagonia MT 315/75r16 Custom projector retrofit (acme super h1 + morimoto 4300k) Baja Designs S2 sport ditch pods on CBI ditch pod mounts Amazon AMAK rock lights CMC CB radio hardmount
    This thing is incredible. I snagged it as a 2019 close out alloy GX for $2600 normally $3200

13. Sep 14, 2020 at 4:49 AM
    GRNT4R

GRNT4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC - Triad
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    I did find that Pitch at a great deal and sold it for a profit to offset the price of my Kona but it along with some reading and education from more experienced riders helped me see what i was missing. When i 1st bought it, my thoughts was i'll just ride some easy paths and not try anything in the woods or a real trail. Well one day at my local park, i said, let me see what this trail riding is all about.

I couldnt fly through the trail fast and didnt know a thing about real bike control or anything else but i had fun and realized i was not in the shape i thought i was in either. Hitting the roots shook the hell out me and had me bouncing around like i was on a bucking bull ( due to the coil shock on the bike, more like a pogo stick)!!! The main thing i got from that ride was i wanted to try it again and i was having fun.

I asked a few guys some questions on another forum like this but for MTB called MTBR. They schooled me on why my ride was the way it was and why my bike was making so much noise while riding even though it was only ridden a few times by the previous owner. The 3X front drive train made all the noise of the chain clapping and the rear derailleur didnt have a clutch so there was no tension to help prevent chain drops. None of this i knew before just "wanting a decent bike to ride". I asked more and more questions and read more threads and ended up making some good friendships on there with guys i could text and ask advice from regarding bikes i was looking at the pro's and cons of each.

I would definitely check out that forum and the beginners section and just read and soak in the knowledge. But they all will say Fit and seat time on diff bikes will help your decision. Like someone mentioned, a parking lot ride wont really do it for you. They have bike days at some trails where you can rent a bike and take it down a course to see how you like it or even try to meet some guys from here at your local trail to see if they can teach you some. It truly is a different world from the bikes we grew up on as kids. You do get what you pay for as with anything. Now can you always buy and resell to upgrade, YES but is it always cheaper, NOT AT ALL. Keep us posted on your thoughts and check out your local bike shop. Building a relationship with them will help and many offer free tune-ups with a bike purchased from them.

IMG_3813.jpg

Geoff likes this.
  14. Sep 14, 2020 at 5:48 AM
    slowlane

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    This is extremely helpful!!

A friend of mine invited me to a bike park this weekend. I didn't really want to go, but I think I might and get a gauge of where I'm at. Is that the honzo or honzo dl?

Thank you again!

15. Sep 14, 2020 at 5:50 AM
    GRNT4R

GRNT4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC - Triad
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Go for it, it can be a little intimidating going with more skilled riders as you can feel like you are holding them back but since its a friend of yours, he can give you some direction and help you out with questions. GET A HELMET, those trees come fast and they dont yield to oncoming traffic, lol. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

16. Sep 14, 2020 at 6:03 AM
    GRNT4R

GRNT4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC - Triad
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    @slowlane True statement above. You will also want a good bike rack or stand for the bike vs tossing it in the back of the truck laying on its side. Check out some youtube vids or new riders like ToogyHowser. It has progressed in the past couple of years and vlogs his first bike up to what he has now. Also Seth's Bike Hacks is a good channel that shows some good tips and hacks as well as giving good info about beginner bikes and direction to go

Its the Honzo, the Honzo DL is a diff color and has a fat tire @slowlane

Also a good bike for the money that i have seen a lot of people start with is the Diamondback Sync'r. The new version comes with a dropper seat post as well which is a game changer. You can adjust the seat height with a button on the handlebars. makes a difference when you need to stand or sit while pedaling.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    113tac and jeff b[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Sep 14, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    slowlane

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    I do like modding.....welp another bike to throw in the mix. Thanks!!!

jeff b[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Sep 14, 2020 at 1:26 PM
    slowlane

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    Awesome thanks again, great info! I'll be sure to check out those YouTube chanels.

GRNT4R[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Sep 18, 2020 at 9:06 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I saw a post from my LBS, Trail Head Cyclery, who posted a few images on IG, @trailheadcyclery if you wanna see one.

20. Sep 18, 2020 at 9:13 PM
    cconzelmann

cconzelmann Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum 4x4
    So stock.
    SC Tallboy!!!
    3D87796C-57DF-47B8-A175-318678652BDF.jpg