1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Show us your truck bed sleeping platform/drawer/storage systems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 1patriot4life, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Jun 24, 2018 at 7:22 PM
    Overkill07

Overkill07 Tacoitis

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R DC MGM
    A few audio upgrades, tinted windows, remote start because it f'n hot in Texas! 6in Fabtech DB lift, 17x9 Fuel Trophy wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs,BAMF 80in sliders w/kickout, Prinsu cab rack w/30in Heretic light bar, custom bedside decals, custom hi-lift jack brackets, US Offroad front bumper w/winch, bed rack with RTT, CB, Short wave base station, Ultra gauge, color matched grille surround, an ungodly amount of recover gear, ARB fridge, hood struts, RotoPax, traction pads.
    This is a great option for those that have caps. For me, I don't want to run a shell and the DECKED system is perfect for what I need :D

2. Jun 24, 2018 at 7:34 PM
    Overkill07

Overkill07 Tacoitis

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R DC MGM
    A few audio upgrades, tinted windows, remote start because it f'n hot in Texas! 6in Fabtech DB lift, 17x9 Fuel Trophy wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs,BAMF 80in sliders w/kickout, Prinsu cab rack w/30in Heretic light bar, custom bedside decals, custom hi-lift jack brackets, US Offroad front bumper w/winch, bed rack with RTT, CB, Short wave base station, Ultra gauge, color matched grille surround, an ungodly amount of recover gear, ARB fridge, hood struts, RotoPax, traction pads.
    LOL, nothing fishy from me, just my 2 cents. But I agree with you the cost is something that you will have to consider. I just want others to know what options are out there and to be able to answer questions some may have. :hattip:

Orco59 and Blackout14 like this.
  3. Jun 24, 2018 at 7:50 PM
    Overkill07

Overkill07 Tacoitis

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R DC MGM
    It was definitely something that I had mentioned in my review to them of the system. Also would have liked to see the extra storage cubbies towards the cab like the full size version. I was told that it would not be possible though do to design restrictions with the space of the bed.

Blackout14 likes this.
  4. Jun 24, 2018 at 11:34 PM
    mrjoshyman

mrjoshyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    might be a stupid question: how bad would it be to not glue & screw vs just screw? i'm using baltic birch so it's got a decent bite. reason im asking is bc the fridge i got im thinking might be bigger than i'll need so for my current build id like to be able to re-use much of the wood (at least base platform) if I decide to change the fridge out...

5. Jun 25, 2018 at 7:08 AM
    MolonLabeTaco

MolonLabeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    The glue is vital. The screws hold the box together while the glue dries & turns the pieces into "one".

6. Jun 25, 2018 at 7:21 AM
    Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB SR5 4x4 Expo
    Glue is quite important for the rigidity of the system.

Could you possibly glue most of the platform, leaving only the area you might change unglued? Not ideal, but probably stronger than no glue at all.

mrjoshyman likes this.
  7. Jun 25, 2018 at 7:23 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    I haven't used glue on any of mine and it's been fine. YMMV

I married my tacoma likes this.
  8. Jun 25, 2018 at 7:44 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Update on mine. I also used the skate bearing approach. Glued & screwed the boxes and the lower parts of the frame but the top sheet is just screwed on for now since this is just version 1.0 and I wanted to make sure it didn't need revision before I glued the top cap on. Same reason it's not sanded, painted, or carpeted, and there's no faces on the drawers.

Worked well this past weekend, but I want to add a slideout piece to one of the drawers for a platform for my camp stove, and add some means of dividing the drawers into smaller cubbies so all my gear doesn't slide to the front when I brake (because then when I open the drawers it's at the back :laugh: )

I also need to add folding 'wings' to either side that will rest on the bed wall cutouts and wheel wells when they're folded out, so I've got a level surface all the way across.

I married my tacoma and bmgreene like this.
  9. Jun 25, 2018 at 9:30 AM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    The importance of the glue depends a lot on the configuration you're using. For a simple crossbeam/deck setup using 1x6 or 2x6 set into the notches on the sides of the bed, then just screwing the plywood deck to those beams should be sufficient. If you're constructing boxes, then you'll want to have the edges glued at least (I doweled mine as well for extra lateral rigidity/strength). If your vertical elements are solid wood, then screwing into the edges would be fairly strong, or decent strength could be obtained using pocket joints in hardwood or BCX plywood, but access on one side will probably be an issue if you're making a closed box. I wouldn't trust joints consisting of only screws into the edge of any kind of ply, though.

MolonLabeTaco likes this.
  10. Jun 25, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Looks good. If you're looking to overdo the divider system a bit, you could consider bolting in some E-track rails. They're low profile and create a very flexible set of options for installing dividers or lashing points when and where you need one.

Noelie84[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jun 25, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Thanks. I'll have to look into those; right now I'm basically planning on gluing plywood laths on the insides of the boxes that I can then put a divider between (mostly because it would make good use of the abundant scrap cuts of plywood I've currently got kicking around :laugh:

bmgreene[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jun 25, 2018 at 12:16 PM
    mrjoshyman

mrjoshyman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    i was actually planning on using pocket holes for the majority of the system

13. Jun 25, 2018 at 12:38 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    That's definitely a simpler plan. Over-designing things is frequently my default setting. I put a couple of 2-foot rails in the drawer in my setup, then stuffed the drawer with tool/gear bags so completely that there's no room for things to shift anyway...

14. Jun 25, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    I can understand that urge. I used the skate bearing/square tubing system and used well over 100 of the bearings (probably around 150) and some heavy-duty tubing, and to secure the tubing to the boxes I used long self-tappers with washers underneath them to help resist pull-through on the plywood.

All of my camping gear I'll be storing in there combined probably weighs 250lbs. :laugh:

15. Jun 25, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    Fiesta346

Fiesta346 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra rock warrior
    thanks for the previous posts/photos all helped me complete my build F925F597-39E1-423D-B6EF-DA41832C9DCD.jpgE921F0CF-C591-4B8F-9469-5774E5FC32CB.jpg

I married my tacoma likes this.
  16. Jun 25, 2018 at 8:44 PM
    fatdad2013

fatdad2013 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    white 2014 toyota tacom trd off road
    DSCF4578.jpg not the best but has been working for years now and I can take it out 5.

20180114_151034.jpg

17. Jun 25, 2018 at 11:40 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    I'd love to hear how they can be installed incorrectly since they're pretty straight forward with the J hooks and center bolts. I had pooling water in the passenger side drawer in heavy rain. Never kept the thing long enough to look for exactly how it was finding its way in since i was reading about others with similar issues. Cut my loss and wrote it off.... Do you work for the company?

18. Jun 26, 2018 at 2:51 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    I've seen videos of the installation process and it's anything but straightforward. It takes hours to assemble and install that thing. We're getting off topic though.

19. Jun 26, 2018 at 8:37 AM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    I bought a couple packs of bearings before building mine, but ended up just putting a pair of built-in casters on the deep end of the drawer I have, then I tapered the upper edge so I can lift the handle end about 1/4 inch and it just rolls. Since the other side is a full box that just pulls all the way out, I put the same carpeting in that bay that I used on the deck, and the urethane finished face slides fairly easily without any other need for rolling.

Since most of my camping gear is for tent camping (which is still my plan "A" for anything that'll be more than one night, or when I get to the site before sunset), i've got it all in one large backpack; the pack is too heavy to hike very far with (especially with the shit shape I'm in currently) but it makes storing and loading it all for trips very easy. The real heavy stuff is the water containers and propane tank (and portable grill when I choose to travel with it) but I'm not set up to stash any of that in the storage. I've got a 36" plano case to bolt to my prinsu rack but have been realizing that I'm not sure what I can fit in there that I'd feel safe allowing to get as hot as that thing will when I'm driving through death valley in june/july. I may end up using it largely to haul folding camp furniture and tire chains; maybe also the chain I have for "winching" with my hi-lift, but that'll be a PITA to lift that high.

ETAV8R likes this.
  20. Jun 26, 2018 at 8:22 PM
    Overkill07

Overkill07 Tacoitis

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD O/R DC MGM
    No don't work for the company but I have seen where several people have put the drawer seals on backwards. This allows the water to get into the drawers. Also on mine the metal ruler did not line up with the metal channels that span across the bed. If I was to use the holes that were designated for the two back holes, I would have made an access point for water to get in.

No system is perfect and there are plenty of options out there. Just choose what works best for you.

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top