1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Show us your winches (not your wives)

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by LoadedTaco, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Apr 28, 2016 at 6:45 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    For anyone using in-cab switches for winch control, how did you wire the switches to the solenoid box? Is there somewhere to get a pigtail for the remote control line that can be spliced to wires from the switches?

2. Apr 30, 2016 at 6:17 AM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.
    When I had them (now have a remote controlled winch) I ran a power switch and then a momentary side to side switch. Since the winch is "hot" or on all the time all you need is 2 wires out to the solenoid to operate the in and out function. I took the solenoid apart and traced the wires that went to the plug in port. Looking at the "guts" the solenoid typically you can see from the "plug in port" wires going down to the main cables that operate in and out function. I spliced those 2 wires in and tested to see if in and out was correct. Got it backwards the first time so I switched them and it was good to go.

Note - I did the separate power switch in the cab so that I could have a hard power off on the in/out switch. I didn't want to accidentally hit the momentary switch or have something fall on it and then the winch spool out. Ironically even with the power off switch my 85lb German Shepard managed to get his big paws in the area while I was out of the truck. Turned the power on and stepped on the momentary switch and began spooling in the winch. I had it hooked to a lower tow point on the front of my truck. it bent the crap out of the roller fairlead and jammed the syn line up a bit. Soon after that I got a new winch with remote and got rid of the in cab switch. So be mindful of switch placement. :D

bmgreene[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Apr 30, 2016 at 6:09 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Thanks, I just cracked open the solenoid box and noticed that's how it's wired. I've already got the switches wired like yours, one power switch feeding a momentary on/off/on, but the momentary is in the overhead console, so it's impossible to set anything on it and tough to hold by accident, and the power is a push button on the outside of the steering wheel.

Since I've already got a switch to run one, is it worth adding a solenoid to the main power circuit so the winch isn't always on a hot circuit?

4. Apr 30, 2016 at 6:16 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
  5. Apr 30, 2016 at 6:48 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Thanks, I just cracked open the solenoid box and noticed that's how it's wired. I've already got the switches wired like yours, one power switch feeding a momentary on/off/on, but the momentary is in the overhead console, so it's impossible to set anything on it and tough to hold by accident, and the power is a push button on the outside of the steering wheel.

Since I've already got a switch to run one, is it worth adding a solenoid to the main power circuit so the winch isn't always on a hot circuit?

6. May 1, 2016 at 8:09 AM
    Gramps

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    For you in cab switch or the winch in general? I have seen some people put the winch itself on a 300a breaker but never though a switch. Typically the winch will only run when the controller is plugged in which is why you wire the winch itself directly to the battery.

7. May 1, 2016 at 7:25 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    One of the in cab switches is an on/off for "winch power", that one already controls the power to the in/off/out momentary rocker, but I'd feel a bit safer if that also controlled a relay/solenoid which would control the power into the winch itself rather than having that wire connected just directly to the battery hot terminal.

I've seen some comments on other forums about using an old Ford starter solenoid for this purpose, but I'm not sure if those are really designed to be on for more than a few seconds at a time.

8. May 2, 2016 at 5:05 AM
    Gramps

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    Gotcha. That is what the winch solenoid itself is for. No power to the winch unless your hand held is plugged in or you in cab switches are turned on. No need for a other solenoid IMO.

9. May 2, 2016 at 2:10 PM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Anyone ever mananged to cross-thread a bolt while installing a winch?

I would've thought it's impossible in that kind of a captive-nut configuration, but I apparently somehow managed to do it, and I'm trying to figure out how.

10. May 3, 2016 at 4:05 AM
    Gramps

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    Those captive square nuts still have space to move. I lost one once and was able to just replace with a regular nut that slides into the square opening. It actually fit tighter which was nice.

bmgreene likes this.
  11. May 11, 2016 at 11:59 AM
    bmgreene

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Finally got the install/heavy wiring finished and the rope wound on. Still need to run the wires for my in cab switches, but I did splice a connector into the solenoid box so it should be plug and play for that hookup from here. 20160510_184150.jpg

THROTTLE231 and lpfe42 like this.
  12. Jun 16, 2016 at 10:04 AM
    ComeUp

ComeUp The BEST Winches

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Oregon
    Looking for another source for COMEUP winches? Here's a little bit about another one of our outstanding dealers, Cruiser Outfitters. These guys are some of the most knowledgeable around when it comes to Toyota offroad vehicles and we're pleased to have them as a partner with COMEUP winches!

http://comeupusa.com/2016/06/dealer-spotlight-cruiser-outfitters/

13. Jun 16, 2016 at 10:19 AM
    Subway4X4

Subway4X4 Shameless Copy Cat

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd
    NY/NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Speedway Blue DCSB OR TRD
    Everything TW members recommend
    Here's my portable SmittyBilt 12K x20 Comp 2nd Gen, Synthetic Line, Wireless Remote mounted to a Warn Receiver Cradle. Check out the quick connect jumper cables as well (on the ground.) I can jump start others without opening hood.
    IMGP6217.jpg

Front receiver from @Mobtown Offroad . I can also mount to factory tow receiver in rear. Warn power cable is snaked along frame to rear hitch.
    IMGP6210.jpg