1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shuddering, 1500-2000 RPM @ ~55mph, seems related to OD

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ThwakThwak, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Oct 12, 2016 at 4:52 PM
    ThwakThwak

ThwakThwak [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab V6
    The Truck:
    2001 Double Cab V6 automatic.

The problem:
    Truck has a shudder/slip between 1500-2000 RPM @ ~55mph. It started pretty intermittent but is now pretty persistent. It happens with light pressure on the pedal. Increasing or decreasing throttle makes it go away. The RPMs do not fluctuate so it seems more likely to be a power transfer issue than something like a miss fire. If the OD is turned off the problem cannot be replicated under any conditions.

Some notes:
    I have taken it to my mechanic and his attitude is that I run with the OD off unless I am going at highway speeds, which is 70+ around here, and we monitor it too see what happens.

I have a TracRac with a Roof Top Tent and Thule Box as well as 265/75R16 General Grabber AT2s on the truck, it isn't towing but I am certainly carrying a bit of weight with me everywhere I go.

What I am hoping for:
    Any ideas of what you think it could be.
    Any ideas of how to trouble shoot to determine what the issue is.
    Possible solutions to my problem.

Thanks for the help.

2. Oct 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM
    vasinvictor

vasinvictor Junkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '01 DCSB racetruck
    hx35 turbo, AEM F/IC, Transgo, custom converter, CalTracs, Elocker, 2-4" drop, 4x4 conversion (2023) on a new purple powdercoated fram, 255/55r18 street, 255/60r16 M&H Racemasters, 7.6 at 91
    A shudder would indicate a problem with your torque converter lockup. Try this: when cruising at 55mph, lightly tap the brakes. This will unlock your converter. A few moments after letting off the brake, the converter will try to lock up again. See if the shudder happens when the converter is trying to lock.

If so, you'll need to replace your torque converter, which isn't too bad $ wise. Labor wise it's pretty expensive though. The trans has to be separated from the engine to replace it.

3. Oct 13, 2016 at 9:19 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    And the driveshaft u joints and center bearing are good?

4. Oct 13, 2016 at 9:19 AM
    Holy schmidt

Holy schmidt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Nebraska
    Im betting you have bad spark plugs causing a misfire. I had a similar issues almost identical where itd only misfire under light throttle low rpm in od.

How many miles do you have on the truck?

5. Oct 13, 2016 at 12:25 PM
    ThwakThwak

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab V6
    I did a little testing with this on the highway right now and it seems to act as you suspected. If it is doing the shudder and I just barely get on the brake the RPMs jump about ~100 and the shudder goes away. If I then get off the brake the RPMs fall back and the shudder returns.

As for the other ideas:

I can't say for sure about the u-joints or center bearing but I will look into that.

As for the misfire idea wouldn't I expect to have check engine light to go along with that?

Truck has just shy of 230K miles.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  6. Oct 13, 2016 at 12:57 PM
    SOMDTACO

SOMDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Southern Maryland
    Vehicle:
    96 Extended Cab 4x4 2.7 MT
    New Taco: 96 DLX Extended Cab 4x4 2.7,MT, Bilstein 5100s at 2.5 and HS 3 Leaf AAL Old Taco: 11 Prerunner Maxtrac Spindles in the front, 2'' AAL with Bilstein 5100 extended in the back. 18'' Milanni Stellars wrapped in 265/70/18 General Grabber tires.
    Not necessarily true. I drove my truck around for roughly 500 miles with a very bad misfire that made the truck buck terribly and never got a check engine light. Not saying your truck is misfiring, just letting you know.

7. Oct 14, 2016 at 12:20 PM
    blakebarnes

blakebarnes Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Picayune,Ms
    Vehicle:
    1998 ext cab 4x4
    My truck felt like the rear end was bucking off the ground when I was in overdrive and the engine was under light acceleration at highway speeds. It turned out to be the plugs and wires. No check engine light. I guess being in OD it was lugging the engine enough to cause it to shudder. #2 plug wire was broke and about 1" of it was still attached to plug when I pulled the wire off.

8. Oct 14, 2016 at 2:34 PM
    ThwakThwak

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab V6
    I just got back from doing a bit more experimenting and have some results. In an effort to expand on yesterday's sample size I tried getting on the brakes just a tad while it was doing the shuddering as was able to keep the shuddering occurring while ever so lightly on the brake, so not as cut and dry as it seemed yesterday.

I also drove around a bit with the ECT in power mode and though it did not make the problem go away it certainly reduced the occurrence. Right around where I would get to the RPM, MPH, throttle position sweet spot for the shudder to occur it would be down shifting and putting me above 2K making the shudder go away.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9PRGsVYG0KbT1AtcXdOSUU2SFE is a video with the speedo and tach while the shudder is happening.

9. Oct 21, 2016 at 2:10 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I read the pm you sent to me .
    I think you received some very excellent replies so far from the above members .
    It,s everything I would have recommended and where I would start .
    If your truck has 230k now , when was your last tune up ?
    Spark plugs to start and while you are there , do a throttle body cleaning .
    Disconnect battery for 1/2 hour for idle re-learn after throttle body cleaning .

If you still have a shudder after the tune up , then continue diagnosing but judging from your explanation I agree the truck needs plugs for sure . Its a cheap place to start

10. Oct 24, 2016 at 4:01 PM
    ThwakThwak

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab V6
    First I want to thank everyone for their feedback and help. I don't know shit and since I have a Tacoma that generally just runs and runs and runs with minimal interference and regular maintenance. This was the first time I had a concerning mystery on my hands and wasn't quite sure how to solve it.

So as of tonight the problem seems to be FIXED! I serviced the Air Filter, MAF sensor and throttle body. Then I replaced the spark plugs and wires. It was the first time I have done engine work on the truck and though a little nerve racking at times I got through it thanks to some good youtube videos, a whole bunch of threads and all mostly all of you making me think I could do it.

Tomorrow I will be putting some miles on the truck so I will get a better idea of if the problem has gone away but I couldn't get it to happen with a bit of driving tonight.

Thanks again and I will post if anything goes awry.

gearcruncher and SOMDTACO like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top