1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

shut your faces about gas........

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by paintdiddy, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
  2. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

You mean like....big oil?

I don't really consider them terrorist organizations. Just business oligarchs.

3. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    aka terrorists!!!:infantry:

4. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    I don't care what they pay. As an American, I only care about my self... and I don't like paying $3.44 a gallon. SCREW U OP

5. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    How dare they sell products for profit!

This pretty much sums it up.

6. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:30 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    The price of gas is relatively lower in the US because, if countries like Iraq and Libya don't sell it to you guys for a cheap price ..... you send over a few ships and some jets and blow the fuck out of them!!! LOL :D (not that there is anything wrong with that ;) )

7. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    Dmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    No I mean OPEC who meets to openly discuss to the world how they're going to manipulate supply to raise or lower costs.

It has Zero to do with profit and has EVERYTHING to do with price manipulation.

Need an example? remember the 2008 elections when gas was 1.80 and before that it was well over 4? Yeah.

Keep in mind almost all countries except those who produce buy oil for the same price, what governments choose to do with the taxation is completely different. Stop being naive.

8. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    no shit... :eek:

9. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    SHIT'S ABOUT TO GET REAL!

10. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    At least they do it openly. Exxon and friends don't even offer that courtesy.

Have you ever worked in business? Do you really believe prices of anything in the US are anything more than marginally influenced by supply/demand principles?

You are a funny funny human being, especially with the naivete comments. I'm well aware of how energy pricing works. We're talking about gas prices, not oil prices. Get back on topic, or PM me if you want to discuss oil economics or energy economics in general.

Back to gas...

11. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Anyone have the breakdown on amount of taxes per gallon in the different countries?

12. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    Dmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    1. Openly discussing ripping off the world only shows arrogance and nothing else, By your omission Exxon and "friends" do it behind closed doors. Because of this, I request you submit proof to the discussion about Exxon doing as you claim they do, if you cannot provide proof, it is here say and proves nothing on your part.

2. Are you trying to bridge a gap between profits and supply and demand? It's not working if this is the case. Again, by your omission we agree that OPEC manipulates prices, ergo it is not the US being any less or more susceptible to supply and demand.

3. If you're trying to disconnect oil prices from gas prices, its not happening lol Any subsiquent PM's that may or may not be sent will not help you understand that the root cause of inflated gas prices are as follows:

OPEC Cartel manipulates the price per barrel of oil to increase price, this affects the whole world.
    The difference in prices for non oil or minimal oil producing countries are not related to so called big oil but big government.

13. Mar 31, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    Dmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    International pump prices for diesel and gasoline for November 2010 are available at http://www.gtz.de/en/themen/29957.htm. Price history from surveys taken in November of even number years are also available. Price differences mostly reflect differences in tax policy.
    [edit] Asia

In the People's Republic of China, the fuel tax has been a very contentious issue. Efforts by the State Council to institute a fuel tax in order to finance the National Trunk Highway System have run into strong opposition from the National People's Congress, largely out of concern for its impact on farmers. This has been one of the uncommon instances in which the legislature has asserted its authority.
    [edit] Russia

Tax on mineral resource extraction (2008–2009):

• Oil: varies 1000 RUR/t – 13800 RUR/t; middle MRET 3000 RUR/t (0.058 €/l = 0.284 $/gal).
    • Natural gas: 147 RUR/1000m³ (4 €/1000m³).
    • Petroleum gas: no
    Excise tax on motor fuel 2008–2009:

• RON >80: 3629 RUR/t. (0.071 €/l = 0.343 $/US gal)
    • RON <=80: 2657 RUR/t. (0.052 €/l = 0.251 $/US gal)
    • Diesel: 1080 RUR/t. (0.025 €/l = 0.123 $/US gal)
    Other fuel (like avia gasoline, jet fuel, heavy oils, natural gas and autogas) prices has no excise tax.
    Value Added Tax — 18% on fuel and taxes.
    Full tax rate is near 55% of motor fuel prices (ministry of industry and energy facts 2006).
    [edit] Europe

[edit] France

Petroleum products destined for utilisation by aircraft engaged in commercial flights outside of the customs territory of continental France are exempt from all customs duties and domestic taxes.[1]
    [edit] Germany

Fuel taxes in Germany are €0.4704 per litre for ultra-low sulphur Diesel and €0.6545 per litre for conventional unleaded petrol, plus Value Added Tax (19%) on the fuel itself and the Fuel Tax. That adds up to prices of €1.03 per litre for ultra-low sulphur Diesel and €1.22 per litre (approximately USD 6.28 per US gallon) for unleaded petrol (March 2009).
    [edit] Netherlands

The sale of fuels in the Netherlands is levied with an excise tax. The 2007 fuel tax was € 0.684 per litre or $ 3.5 per gallon. On top of that is 19% VAT over the entire fuel price, making the Dutch taxes one of the highest in the world. In total, taxes account for 68,84% of the total price of petrol and 56,55% of the total price of diesel.[2] A 1995 excise was raised by Dutch gulden 25 cents (€0.11), the Kok Quarter (€0.08 raise per litre gasoline and €0.03 raise per litre diesel), by then Prime-Minister Wim Kok is now specifically set aside by the second Balkenende cabinet for use in road creation and road and public transport maintenance.
    [edit] Norway

Even though Norway is the third largest oil exporter, the fuel is heavily taxed. The fuel tax for regular fuel pumps (gas stations) in Norway contributed to 63% of the fuel price in 2007 (The tax was USD 1.42 per litre 95 RON petrol). The government refers to the tax as environmental tax on fuels. The tax is subject to much controversy and debate in Norway, specially since Norway has a widespread population and lack of public transportation in rural areas. In 2008 the coalition government of Norway further increased the tax for petrol and diesel.
    Public transportation is subject to the same taxes as private users. The steep increase in fuel prices worldwide in 2006–2008 combined with increased fuel taxes in the same period threatens public transportation in rural areas.
    Jet fuel has minor taxes. Diesel for use by farmers is colored red and is not taxed.
    [edit] Sweden

The fuel tax in Sweden is comprised of carbon tax and energy tax. The total tax (including value added tax) is, from January 1, 2011, SEK 6.875 per liter petrol.[3]
    [edit] United Kingdom

Main article: Hydrocarbon oil duty
    From 4th January 2011 the UK duty rate for the road fuels unleaded petrol, diesel, biodiesel and bioethanol is GB£0.5895 per litre (£2.65 per imperial gallon or £2.20 per U.S. gallon).[4] Value Added Tax at 20% is also charged on the price of the fuel and on the duty.
    Using the UK average untaxed pump price for unleaded petrol of £0.4572 per litre (from the December 2010 average taxed price of £1.221 per litre,[5] the duty rate of £0.5819 per litre[4] and the then VAT rate of 17.5%) this would give a January 2011 taxed price of £1.256 per litre (£5.71 per imperial gallon or £4.75 per U.S. gallon) - that is equivalent to a tax rate of 175%.
    Diesel for use by farmers and construction vehicles is coloured red (Red Diesel) and has a much reduced tax, currently £0.1133 per litre.[4]
    Jet fuel used for international aviation attracts no duty, and no VAT.[6]
    [edit] North America

[edit] Canada

Fuel taxes in Canada can vary greatly between locales. On average, about one-third of the total price of gas at the pump is tax. Excise taxes on gasoline and diesel are collected both federal and provincial governments, as well as by some select municipalities (Montreal, Vancouver, and Victoria); with combined excise taxes varying from 16.2 ¢/L (73.6 ¢/imperial gal; 61.2 ¢/US gal) in the Yukon to 30.5 ¢/L ($1.386/imperial gal; $1.153/US gal) in Vancouver. As well, the federal government and some provincial governments (Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Quebec) collect sales tax (GST and PST) on top of the retail price and the excise taxes.[7]
    [edit] United States

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    State Diesel Taxes, April 2009

Fuel taxes in the United States vary by state. The United States federal excise tax on gasoline, as of February 2011, is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel. In January 2011, motor gasoline taxes averaged 48.1 cents per gallon and diesel fuel taxes averaged 53.1 cents per gallon.[8] For the first quarter of 2009, the mean state gasoline tax is 27.2 cents per US gallon, plus 18.4 cents per US gallon federal tax making the total 45.6 cents per US gallon (12.0 ¢/L). For diesel, the mean state tax is 26.6 cents per US gallon plus an additional 24.4 cents per US gallon federal tax making the total 50.8 cents US per gallon (13.4 ¢/L).[9] There are also a few states that charge sales tax on top of the excise taxes and the retail price. The states that have a tax on their fuel, impose a tax on commercial drivers that travel through their state, even if the fuel is not purchased in that state. The paper work for this taxed on a quarterly basis and filed somewhat like a federal tax return that is done yearly. Most commercial truck drivers have an agent fill out the paper work.[citation needed] The driver calls in their information, the agent figures out how much tax should be paid to each state, then the agent faxes the forms to the driver and they are required to carry the papers with them along with their travel log books.
    [edit] Oceania

[edit] Australia

The fuel tax system in Australia is very similar to Canada in terms of featuring both a fixed and a variable tax, but varies in the case of exemptions including tax credits and certain excise free fuel sources. Fuel taxes are handled by both the Federal and State Governments, including both an Excise Tax and a Goods and Services Tax or "GST". The tax collected is partly used to help fund national road infrastructure projects and repair roads, however most of it goes into general revenue. [10]
    The current fuel tax in Australia is A$0.38143 per litre for petrol and ultra-low sulphur diesel (conventional diesel being taxed at A$0.40143 per litre). An excise for LPG of $0.025 per litre will be introduced from 2011, increasing to $0.125 per litre by 2015.
    [edit] New Zealand

Fuel taxes in New Zealand are considered an excise applied by the New Zealand Customs Service on shipments brought into the country. A breakdown of the fuel taxes are, however, published by the Ministry of Economic Development. Excise as at 1 October 2010 totals 48.524 cents per litre ($2.206/imperial gal; $1.837/US gal) on petrol. In addition the national compulsory Accident Compensation Corporation motor vehicle account receives a contribution of 9.34 cents/litre (42.5¢/imperial gal; 35.4¢/US gal). The ethanol component of bio blended petrol currently attracts no excise duty. This will be reviewed in 2012. Diesel is not taxed at pump, but road users with vehicles over 1 tonne in Gross Laden Weight and any vehicles not powered wholly by any combination of petrol, LPG or CNG must pay the Road User Charge instead. This incorporates an ACC component. The Goods and Services Tax (15%) is then applied to the combined total of the value of the commodity and the various taxes. In practice this means that 6 cents of the final pump price to consumers is a GST impost on the excise tax and ACC levy. On 25 July 2007 the Minister of Transport Annette King announced that from 1 July 2008 all fuel excise collected would be hypothecated to the National Land Transport Programme.[11]

14. Mar 31, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I'm not remotely concerned with proving anything to you or disproving your claim of hearsay. You believing it or not does not affect the information's actual status.

If you actually believe they're all boy scouts trying to create a fair energy market for themselves and their competitors well...that's nice.

No, the point is supply and demand is one small factor in an incredibly complex system, which is largely controlled (in the case of most majorly lucrative products and services in the United States) by a small cabal of conglomerate businesses that set price as they see fit....legitimately or otherwise. ("legitimate" itself being a term whose definition is open to debate, of course)

I'm not trying to disconnect prices of anything from anything else. I'm saying this discussion is about gas prices in the US, not oil prices anywhere.

Please don't send PMs. You're still not seeing the forest for the trees, and your narrow perspective ows my brainthing.

But in regards to this shit:

In two sentences you state OPEC is responsible for pricing manipulation, then point out the final actual price of product in a country is a result of governmental manipulation (pick your poison: taxes, subsidies, ethanol subsidies, etc. etc.). I think you may have just espoused my claims.

'preciate it.

15. Mar 31, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    Dmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    So you dont want to back anything you say.. so you came into this thread to what? be called a retard?

16. Mar 31, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    No, I'm lazy, and you're nowhere near important enough for me to give a shit about your opinion of me or the information I present.

No offense and don't get the wrong idea: I don't have anything against you, and I'm not hostile or anything. I just don't know you, ergo I don't care.

I came in here asking someone who said US gas prices were controlled by terrorist organizations to clarify what they meant by terrorist organizations. Last I checked, Hamas doesn't do BP's wholesale pricing. Then suddenly you're on oil prices. I'm still trying to figure out why you thought that was relevant at all in the context of the discussion.

Trolling is much much more likely if you look at my history.

17. Mar 31, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    Watari06V6

Watari06V6 Faster than a speeding ticket

Member:
    Wounded Knee
    Vehicle:
    TRD-V6-SR5-06
  18. Mar 31, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Pass some over please...

19. Mar 31, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    Dmonkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    A good troll knows how to not only troll but how to defeat.. you come in and look like a retard.. As one troll to another so called troll, you need to up your game.

20. Mar 31, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    Back to the OP post. I share the same opinion. I do not want to hear people bitching about gas prices. Walk or ride your bike. Driving is a choice, not a right.

Products Discussed in

To Top