1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sick of paying for PA emissions testing...

Discussion in 'North East' started by PennSilverTaco, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jan 12, 2018 at 6:10 PM
    PennSilverTaco

PennSilverTaco [OP] On the spectrum...

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    Are you the one who mentioned earlier that it cost like $470 to register your truck in Hawaii?
    I just read these articles...

One of these articles discusses how some Connecticut residents register in Maine because they owe back taxes in Connecticut and thus can't register their vehicle as a result. However, I think some people just don't want to pay these unnecessary taxes...

One example used in the article is used $7K vehicle, on which the annual property tax would be about $700! That's in addition to sales tax, registration, insurance, title fee, and emissions testing!

Look at it this way...

You're a wealthy Connecticut resident and you've just paid cash for a brand new $400K Rolls-Royce Phantom. By the calculations in the article, annual property tax on your new Rolls-Royce would be $40K! Obviously, you're a multimillionaire so you can afford a Rolls-Royce and all the expenses associated with owning one. Insurance and routine maintenance are to be expected. Sales tax is also an unavoidable reality. Annual emissions testing is another necessary evil. But, just because you can afford $40K in property taxes on your new luxury car every year, why in the bloody hell would you want to pay it if you could avoid it?!?! You're rich, not stupid. That money could be spent on renovating your house, paying your kid's college tuition, and buying a new Tacoma for situations like driving to Home Depot, where bringing a Rolls-Royce would just be a bad idea...

2. Jan 12, 2018 at 6:15 PM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Who the hell cares about MPGs, its a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Kahalu'u Oahu
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    Yes that was me. We pay to register and pay for safety check every year.

3. Jan 12, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin

Motivation aside, tax evasion is tax evasion.

Sig45 likes this.
  4. Jan 12, 2018 at 6:38 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    I consider a rich Connecticut resident registering a Rolls-Royce in Maine to avoid paying the MSRP of a new Lexus in property taxes more in the category of tax avoidance...

I met a guy from New Jersey at a car show who registered his hand-built Maserati under his LLC in Montana to circumvent emissions testing and pay lower taxes...

Since he owns an LLC in Montana, it is totally legal...

My friend's dad, a pharmaceutical executive, registered his Bentley at the address of his second home in Florida. This was again because it was cheaper and Florida doesn't have emissions testing...

5. Jan 12, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    So, by my calculations, property tax on $8K car in Connecticut would be about $800...

Why should someone have to pay $800 in property tax to register a car, when that money would be better spent on something like THIS?

6. Jan 12, 2018 at 6:44 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    [​IMG]

On first glance, it would appear that this truck has no engine!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jan 12, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OFF-ROAD DCSB 4X4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - OME Sport Nitrochargers
    [​IMG]

BuddyS and cory02taco like this.
  8. Jan 12, 2018 at 7:07 PM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin

Your examples fail to make your case. People who own a LLC operating out of MT, or people with other homes in other states, who likely meet the minimum requirement for citizenship in that state, are LEGALLY entitled to this option.

Registering your pickup at your grandmothers house in Maine, with intent to avoid taxes due by law in your resident state, is fraud, therefore by definition "tax evasion".

It's a damn shame that our government is forcing you to live in CT since you obviously dislike it. More so, it's a shame you are in a profession that is so specialized that you couldn't possibly find similar work in a state which more closely aligns with your ideal.

BuddyS and El Duderino like this.
  9. Jan 12, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    PennSilverTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Central Bucks, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC auto 5-lug
    I don't live in Connecticut. I live in PA. I was just using Connecticut as an example. PA does not have property tax on vehicles...

I have no problem with the registration fees in PA. I'm just sick of having to get my truck inspected, when right next door in Ohio and certain parts of Maryland they don't...

I do not want to commit tax fraud...

I've considered transferring ownership of my Tacoma to my Grandmother's name and registering at the Maine house, or to my uncle in South Carolina...

I take great care of my truck, and all I feel I should have to do is pay for registration and insurance. Emissions testing is a crock of shit for a well-maintained 2010 Tacoma with 80K miles.

10. Feb 5, 2018 at 4:33 AM
    r3c0il

r3c0il Tacoma Newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 TRD:Off Road
    Boss BVCP9675 Stereo, Rear-view Mirror Relocation
    I'd still rather pay that than usage tax in VA or NC :/

PennSilverTaco [OP] likes this.