1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

side mirrors not working after replacement

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by genesis, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Nov 15, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    genesis

genesis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    Hi all,
    I bought an 03 Tacoma a few weeks back with chrome (ewww) power mirrors, so I purchased new black ones off ebay. After replacing them, I checked to make sure they worked, which they did. The next day both mirrors would only go up and left. I took off the driver side mirror and saw that I pinched a wire between the mirror and the metal when bolting it down, so the next day I spliced a piece of wire to replace the damaged section. Now they dont work at all, even after plugging in my old chrome mirrors (which were working before). Is it possible that the mirror switch has gone bad? Please help.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 15, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    Did you check the fuse? A grounded/pinched wire could pop a fuse.

3. Nov 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    genesis

genesis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    the fuse for the side mirrors is the "acc" fuse, which is not blown. so unless there is a fuse somewhere in between the switch and the mirrors i have no idea.

4. Nov 17, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    genesis

genesis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    no one has had a bad mirror switch?

5. May 3, 2017 at 6:55 AM
    Thuey

Thuey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma
    I have the same problem with an '04. both side mirrors only turned left and up. I replaced the switch and first test they both worked. the next day it went back to the old problem. Did anyone come up with a solution?

6. May 3, 2017 at 8:14 AM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    I know EXACTLY what your problem is. I did a full power retrofit using 2004 OEM components in my '98 and I confirmed everything was working outside the truck. (link in signature) After I installed, I discovered the mirror would no longer go Down/Right. The issue is a crimped and shorted wire. When I installed my passenger mirror I made the mistake of not using the factory cable hold downs, and the red power line got crimped and stripped on the sheet metal and shorted to the door.

Your mirror switch is bad. The mirror shorted out the copper traces on the PCB, thus rendering the switch useless. Get a new one and problem solved. I went to my local Pick & Pull to look for the right mirror switch. A friend and I looked through the entire Japanese import section for the right mirror switch. I could not find the same one that the Tacoma used even though a bunch of other Toyota vehicles used that same switch.

I was leaning on a Toyota Sienna (which I didn't check since I didn't even know it was a Toyota since it was so badly damaged) because I was tired and after looking at 100+ cars I just gave up. My friend just so happened to glance at the dashboard and was like "isn't that the switch you need?" It was...

I would just buy one online. They're cheap enough used. Unless your local junkyard has relatively new (2005+) Toyota vehicles, it's not worth it to look. P&P charged me the same price that eBay would charge (around $12)

If you're buying online don't look up "Toyota Tacoma Mirror Switch" because people will charge you up the ass. Instead search for "Toyota 183574 Mirror Switch" since a bunch of Toyota sedans use the same switch.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    sonofdad and mechanicjon like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top