1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sierras Juneish Trip Planning

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by uhplifted, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Jul 24, 2017 at 11:55 AM
    goblue82

goblue82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    The Dude Abides
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Click muh sig
    Always down for more maps. Cali trail maps added all of mammoth and a ton of eastern Sierra trails. Stoked on all of it.

MotoEd likes this.
  2. Jul 24, 2017 at 11:56 AM
    goblue82

Member:
    First Name:
    The Dude Abides
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Click muh sig
    The fishing in lune lake and twin lakes mammoth is going off right now. The waterfall at twin lakes is going nuts.

MotoEd and sdsurfer[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Jul 24, 2017 at 12:14 PM
    sdsurfer

sdsurfer @ODNAREM life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD 4X4
    5100s/OME 888s. Dakar leaf pack. Total Chaos UCAs. DeMello Sliders. BAMF Recessed Grille. Prinsu Cabrack and Toprack.
    How you doing Greg? Hopefully doing well! Have you pulled the trigger on a single cab 1st gen yet?

4. Jul 24, 2017 at 12:24 PM
    goblue82

Member:
    First Name:
    The Dude Abides
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Click muh sig
    I'm
    I'm good my brotha. No rig quite yet but hopefully soon. I've put some health goals ahead of offroading so the more I hit the gym the sooner ill be allowed to get another rig. But I did go camping with Chan in Idyllwild this weekend which was badass. Hope to see you and everyone else soon.

5. Jul 25, 2017 at 9:32 AM
    DucTaco

DucTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD OR
    Next time I see you I'll pass it along. Also, I still have the grids to the LZ's in my GPS so I'll give those to you as well. Not a lot of water in those elevated areas but the scenery is beautiful.

MotoEd and goblue82[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Mar 4, 2018 at 1:26 PM
    Aloha Scout

Aloha Scout Drink beer and smoke your meats

Member:
    **Thread revival***

Looking to hit up Mammoth Lakes again this summer. Haven’t been in a couple years, hoping somebody on TW has a summer home or AirBnB they wanna rent to a TW member.

Anybody?

Additionally, typically over the last 20 years we go during 4th July weekend or shortly after. This year looking to go mid June, not entirely sure how the fishing is early June. Any insight?

MotoEd likes this.
  7. Mar 4, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    MotoEd

MotoEd Ed-MotoEd

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver DCLB 4x4
    ARE Shell. Pelfreybilt front bumper. hi-clearance rear bumper w/swing out. Rigid light bar/fog lights/reverse lights. Pelfreybilt front skid. Home/hand made slidders. DR front coilovers. Camburg UCA. AllPro Expedition leaf pack w/u-bolt flip and Timbren bump stops. 285 70-17 on stock rims with Spider Trax wheel spacers. EBC slotted/drilled rotors with green pads.
    Sorry no cabin to rent from me. We always tent camped down in the valley behind mammoth mountain. Fishing is dependent on how much snow they get this winter/spring. Last year was a ton of snow and a lot was still frozen over late into the summer. Not to mention the high and fast snow melt made all the streams and rivers flow crazy fast.
    I've always gone up there right around the 4th of July too for a week. Water flows have been hit or miss the last 8 or so years. Some years there is a really fast flow and they don't stock when the the water is raging and other years it's been really dry and low flow and they don't stock either with low flow. Lake fishing is pretty much good as long and you can get you line in the water. This year the winter weather has been pretty mild so I don't think too much will still be frozen in June. I could be wrong though. It is still the Sierra Nevada mountains and anything can happen.
    The trout opener is the last weekend in April in the Eastern Sierra's which is April 28th this year. Some years the lakes are frozen over and the marinas are busy a couple of weeks beforehand busting up the ice so boats can get out on the lakes. Other years there's no ice. But the fishing on the lakes is pretty much always great. Hope that helps.

Aloha Scout[QUOTED] and bigbarlo like this.
  8. Mar 4, 2018 at 5:11 PM
    Aloha Scout

Aloha Scout Drink beer and smoke your meats

Member:
    Awesome thanks! Yeah last couple times we’ve been up, fishing has been mediocre at best. I can remember 5-7 years ago, catching our limit before lunch each day pretty routinely.

MotoEd[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 4, 2018 at 7:14 PM
    MotoEd

MotoEd Ed-MotoEd

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver DCLB 4x4
    ARE Shell. Pelfreybilt front bumper. hi-clearance rear bumper w/swing out. Rigid light bar/fog lights/reverse lights. Pelfreybilt front skid. Home/hand made slidders. DR front coilovers. Camburg UCA. AllPro Expedition leaf pack w/u-bolt flip and Timbren bump stops. 285 70-17 on stock rims with Spider Trax wheel spacers. EBC slotted/drilled rotors with green pads.
    Yeah, we've had not such good luck the last couple of years too. Then some years it's just too easy.

elmontemike likes this.
  10. Mar 4, 2018 at 7:25 PM
    elmontemike

elmontemike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MotoEd is correct. I always try to get up there the week after 4th of July. It's always hit and miss with the fishing. It ranges from ok to great. Never been totally skunked. I don't fish the lakes in theMammoth lakes area because of the crowds and I don't fish Lake Crowley. I like to get out to the different spots. My favorite spot is Rock Creek Lake. I always tent camp in 1 of the camp grounds there. I Just find that spot absolutely gorgeous !!! But like I said, I will hit 7-8 different spots the week i'm up there.
    I'm thinking with all the lakes overflowing last year, they all should be good to go. They had a lot of late snow and that can only help. Last year in July I was walking though snow at 8500'. Don't think there will be that situation this year unless the snow keeps falling. But like Ed said, "It's the Sierra Nevada Mountains and anything can happen !!!"
    This picture is from the July 8th one year. Not snow but hail. It hailed for 30-35 minutes and that storm broke my tent. :D But it's always about being there !!!
    20150708_133424.jpg

Aloha Scout and MotoEd[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Mar 4, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    I think this will be a good year. Lots of fish for everyone !!! :fingerscrossed:

12. Mar 4, 2018 at 7:38 PM
    MotoEd

MotoEd Ed-MotoEd

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver DCLB 4x4
    :thumbsup::fingerscrossed:
    Guys from my work have been going out every weekend up here in the Reno area and been doing pretty good with the browns. Can't wait for the Eastern Sierra's to open up. Looking like it will be a good year with the lakes nice and full.

elmontemike[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Mar 4, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Browns are good. I like catching browns when I can. Until I can get up there, I'm just fishing local LA county lakes. Just 8" stock trout. And I did pick up these from
    @wildlandstudios here on TW to keep me focused. :goingcrazy:
    20180224_150724.jpg

MotoEd likes this.
  14. Mar 4, 2018 at 8:02 PM
    MotoEd

MotoEd Ed-MotoEd

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver DCLB 4x4
    Ha I did too. I got them up right by my visor so I can stare at them when sitting at a red light or eating my lunch at work

15. Mar 4, 2018 at 8:04 PM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    HaHaHa. The same here. Look at them all the time and think "what if I leave right now"

16. Jul 5, 2018 at 3:12 PM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Just curious if anybody has been up in the sierras lately ? How the fishing?

MotoEd likes this.
  17. Jul 5, 2018 at 3:17 PM
    sdsurfer

sdsurfer @ODNAREM life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD 4X4
    5100s/OME 888s. Dakar leaf pack. Total Chaos UCAs. DeMello Sliders. BAMF Recessed Grille. Prinsu Cabrack and Toprack.
  18. Jul 7, 2018 at 12:24 AM
    MotoEd

MotoEd Ed-MotoEd

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver DCLB 4x4
    Just got home from 2 days fishing up there. Fished Lundy lake from my boat and did pretty good. All stockers but fun nonetheless. Also fished the west fork of the Walker river and caught a couple there.
    20180705_115238.jpg 20180706_192422.jpg

LOLLY, climbhigher23, nDub and 2 others like this.
  19. Jul 7, 2018 at 5:10 AM
    elmontemike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cool. I'm planning on trying out Walker river this year. :fingerscrossed:

Products Discussed in

To Top