1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Silicone Spray

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mountainprimat2, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Jun 5, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    mountainprimat2

mountainprimat2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off-Road 6spd man
    Eibach Pro 2.5 CoilOvers(Front), Icon RXT 2.5 (Rears), Toytec Bumps, ICON RXT Multi-Rate Leaf Spring, Icon UCAs, Toytec Carrier Bearing drop, Toytec Front Diff drop, 33inch BFG KO2s on 17'' American Racing Wheels, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, TRD CAI, Grillcraft Grilles(U/L), MOT's Badge Grille Mod (Red), Black Bed Lined Rear Bumper, Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares, OEM Roof Rack, Husky Floor Liners, TRD 6spd Shifter Knob, Cobra CB w/ Firestick II, Interior LED Map(RED)/Dome(WHITE) Lights, LED Licence Plate Lights, LED Amber Fogs, Plasti Dip Badges, Trailer Harness Relocate, Thule Tail Gate Pad + Bed Rack, LEER Bed Cap
    So I'm working at a boat dealership that specializes in selling Boston Whalers and other powerboats, but also sells a couple models of the Yamaha Waverunners. I was told that after you use your waverunner, you are to spray down the entire engine compartment with silicone spray to prevent rust and saltwater deterioration. Apparently it just forms and nice coat and beads of any substance that is corrosive or whatever. With that I got to thinking, would that be the same with my Tacoma? Granted there are a million different sensors under the hood of the 2nd Gen and would not want to screw them up, but for the hoses and everything else could this keep your engine looking like new? Has anyone ever heard of this or tried this idea? I'm in the North East and during the winter, my truck's under carriage and engine compartment takes a beating with all the salt. I'm curious for some feedback. Thanks

2. Jun 11, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    jr114

jr114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    I wouldnt spray the engine bay, but I spray a little on my Icon's after every other wash or so to prevent salt water corrosion (i live less than a mile away from the beach).

3. Jun 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    I just got some andres devil horns, no more chrome coating chipping when the whole this is polished aluminum :)

4. Jun 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I used to spray silicone spray on a rag and wipe down all of my hoses on my 77 chevy pickup. I have never sprayed down the entire engine so I can't speak on that.

Products Discussed in

To Top