1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

silverbullet02's 2002 Regular Cab Build Thread

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by silverbullet02, May 29, 2016.

1. Dec 30, 2017 at 9:23 AM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    The single cabs are special just by them selves and are not a dime a dozen like the 2nd gen

IMG_8310.jpg

silverbullet02[OP] likes this.
  2. Dec 30, 2017 at 9:47 AM
    silverbullet02

silverbullet02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2002 Reg Cab 2.7 5MT 2013 Access Cab Baja 6MT
    Check out my builds! ----->
    Agreed! The 2nd gens are very nice, but definitely not as unique or rare as the single cabs. For a daily driver though, it's a tough choice, the size and power of the 2nd gen is really growing on me... :anonymous:

That being said, I'm not planning on giving up either the 1st or 2nd gen anytime soon!

I'm quite jealous of your single cab! The V6 alone has to give you a great power to weight ratio with such a light taco, and then add the supercharger and methanol in it's got to be like a sports car!
    :burnrubber:

3. May 22, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    silverbullet02

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Well it certainly took me long enough to get pictures, but here is where I mounted my 30" Light Bar from Cali Raised LED last summer. I had a local metal shop cut some pieces of 1/4" aluminum to mount on each side of the front crash bar. I decided to take the lazy route and mount it without removing the bumper, so I can tell that it ended up being positioned slightly slanted to one side. However, I think that's just the perfectionist in me! The bar is super bright, no complaints there. I wired it into my fuse box and placed a switch in my Paranoid Fab switch plate under the radio. I don't think I've ever enjoyed driving at night as much as I do now!

I'm very happy with the "stealth" look to the bar, it's not as obnoxious as the roof mounted bars but still gets the job done!

1997tacomav6 likes this.
  4. May 22, 2018 at 9:41 PM
    silverbullet02

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    North Shore Wheelers' Open House - 5/19/2018
    This past weekend I participated in an open house at the Iron Range OHV Area put on by a local group of off-roaders. The group was almost evenly split between Toyotas and Jeeps, including some well-built Tacomas and 4Runners. I was quite jealous of all the supercharged Toyotas! We ended up splitting up along the lines of brand, except for one Jeep that tagged with the Toyotas.

After some "beginner level" hill climbs and trails, they started sprinkling rock crawls into the mix. I was quite nervous at first, but the guys leading were very good spotters let me through multiple crawls I would have been much too worried to try alone! Much to my own surprise, I didn't kill the truck once the whole day!

I had an absolute blast and cannot wait to go on more group runs with these guys! There's still a lot left in the park to explore too. At lunch I won the raffle for a shiny new Hi-Lift jack! One of the Tacoma guys showed me how he mounted his jack in the bed, so that's the next project on my list!

Thank you to all the club members who were there as well as all those who helped spot me the whole day, and teach me the finer points of off-road driving! Also, thank you to all the club members for the Hi-Lift, I'm sure it will see plenty of use! :mudding:

lukester78 likes this.
  5. May 23, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    lukester78

lukester78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma Single Cab 4x4
    Looks like a great time. I've never once won a raffle, that's awesome!

Did you air down the tires at all? We run the same size but your KO2s look beefier than my Falkens.

6. May 23, 2018 at 9:06 AM
    silverbullet02

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I didn't air them down too much, normally I have them at 35psi but at the recommendation of some of the guys I aired down to around 20-23psi. They said that anything less than around 20 was overkill for what we were doing. It was far from an exact science, I just used a gas station tire gauge to air down and measure the pressure

7. Jul 16, 2018 at 5:21 PM
    silverbullet02

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Not too much has been going on with the 1st gen since the last wheeling trip. Other than serving as my daily driver to work, I took the truck to pick up a 2 ton engine hoist to work on my project car!

The front rotors are warped for the second or third time, so I've decided to bite the bullet and do the tundra brake upgrade before winter this year. I am planning to take the 1st gen to college this year to keep the salt and snow off the 2nd gen, and with only a single cab I won't get stuck driving as often!

8. Aug 11, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    silverbullet02

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Who says Toyota's can't be farm trucks? Outside of pulling the sheep trailer, the Taco did all of the hauling of equipment for this year's county fair! From fitting stands to straw bales, I think my little truck enjoyed it's week long workout! :muscleflexing:

tacoburrito and cazinpa like this.
  9. Mar 20, 2019 at 4:19 PM
    silverbullet02

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    It's about time for an update. In late October I put my 2nd Gen in storage for the winter and brought my 1st Gen up to college. I wasted no time getting busy moving around some things for our off campus house, such as this couch that we (eventually) found out was too big to fit through our door. Oh well, at least someone at Saver's got a decent couch!

10. Mar 20, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    silverbullet02

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    When the temps started getting below 50 degree I started experiencing an odd idle behavior. When first starting up, the truck idled super low (below 1k) and as the truck warmed up it idled higher and higher, until almost 2k rpms. It was very odd and the opposite of what should be going on.

I ended up taking the throttle body off and cleaning it as well as the IAC (Intake Air Control) Valve that lies just below. As it turns out this valve was stuck open, allowing excess air to get past the throttle body. After a generous cleaning it seemed to work again, and a short test drive confirmed the fix!

chiago likes this.
  11. Mar 20, 2019 at 4:46 PM
    silverbullet02

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Since I was without a bed outlet this year to power my Christmas lights in the bed, I decided to go a different route. I grabbed a wire-backed wreath and added some pine-cones and a bow. I also picked up some 1" diameter foam pipe insulation and hot glued it to the back of the wreath to prevent and paint damage. Then a few zip ties through the grille and I was festive again!

12. Mar 20, 2019 at 5:15 PM
    silverbullet02

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Over Christmas break I got to open up my Trail Gear sliders that I ordered on Black Friday. I won't put them on until summer though so I can paint them.

I also addressed the engine code for P1135, the upstream O2 sensor. One of the nuts holding the old sensor on was incredibly corroded and I had to resort to a vise grips and a lot of PB Blaster to get them off.

I used stainless steel hardware this time around so hopefully I won't have so much trouble if I every do this again.

1997tacomav6 and DJB1 like this.
  13. Jun 30, 2019 at 8:57 PM
    Hunt/Taco

Hunt/Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coleman
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma, Reg Cab, 2.7, 4wd, Auto. 90,xxx miles
    Pioneer Radio, New rear bumper (that does not really count though). Going to be upgrading it more and more as time goes on.
    Nice build so far!! What else are you wanting to do to it for upgrades? You have the same truck as me, just your's is manual

14. Jun 30, 2019 at 9:36 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Wow that’s a lot of carbon buildup,

It should look like this

96FA1128-AF04-48D9-B8D8-B07ADB2EBFAE.jpg

Hunt/Taco likes this.
  15. Sep 13, 2019 at 6:38 PM
    Tropical_Blue_97

Tropical_Blue_97 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    97, Tropical Blue, 4wd, 4 cylinder, 2.7 ltre.
    Hi,
    I was wondering what shocks you have on the back? Are they lifted or just standard 5100's? Do the Wheeler's AAL lift the back end enough to level it out?

Products Discussed in

To Top