1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Simplest Speaker Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by northlite, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Jan 6, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    northlite

northlite [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Cape Cod/Northern Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    05 Acc. TRD OR Black Beauty
    I recently swapped out the 1-disc stock cd player for the 6-disc stock changer. Though it was fairly simple with 007T's great how-to, it was the first and only time I have ever gone into the dash. Now I want to upgrade my speakers, but reading through 007T's and Mr. Marv's instructions, I know that it is probably too complicated for me.

So is it possible to just swap out the front door speakers without getting into too much wiring stuff? And, if so, are there better speakers that can just be popped in? Thanks.

2. Jan 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    The wiring is not complicated at all... but yes, it is possible to do it without getting involved in the wiring that is not already located in the door. You need to either get an adapter that will let you plug into the stock harness for the mid and tweeter or you simply snip the ends of the plug and splice the wires.

3. Jan 6, 2009 at 8:31 AM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    You will need to find speakers that have the same plug-ins as your truck, and are the same size. I have a set of 6x9's but im not sure if they will fit or not!

4. Jan 6, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    If you can change the deck you can change the speakers IMO. :) As mentioned you will need the proper baffle/adapter and if you don't want to change wires you could do as sooner mentioned or just use a wire splices to tap into the originals without cutting them. I would however recommend at minimum a "door kit" to deaden around the speaker and to seal off the back wave from the front since "a good speaker installed properly will sound better than a great speaker not installed properly".

5. Jan 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    I mean no disrespect in any way however whoever told you that was incorrect.

6. Jan 6, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    told me what??

7. Jan 6, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    told you that "You will need to find speakers that have the same plug-ins as your truck, and are the same size"

8. Jan 6, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Well since he doesn't want to do a lot of wiring, then he will need to find some that have same plug, and they have to fit! Read the post a bit closer and you will see what he is asking and that my reply fits!

9. Jan 6, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Your reply would "fit" if in fact there was such a thing as an aftermarket speaker with "the same plug" as the factory harness. Aftermarket speakers have numerous different types of connectors such as those for bare wire insertion, banana plug insertion, bullet connectors, spade terminals etc etc none of which are designed to be a "mate" to all the different factory plugs so as was mentioned he will either need an adapter or to splice into the wires if he doesn't want to change them. I will agree that the speakers need to fit however it is very easy to change sizes in these trucks using the proper baffle/adapter. The main concern would be depth and size/shape would only be a concern if he was trying to fit something larger than an 8" sub which I doubt he wants to do.

10. Jan 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Well someone just called me wanting to put an 8" sub in the front of their truck based on my comment above! :eek: I will mention that yes I have been able to fit an 8" driver in the front of these trucks however IMO it is not worthwhile since it would be a nightmare trying to get the door to contain all that energy without rattling apart!

11. Jan 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:

I have seen speakers before that you can order for your truck and they are plug and play! Granted they are special order and very expensive, it is possible!

12. Jan 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    jbrooks

jbrooks Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    Order through Crutchfield.com. They'll will tell you what will fit. When you buy the speakers, they will give you the wiring and mounting adapters. I caught a good sale and it just made it simple getting everything in one box.

I'm sure you can find what you'll looking for cheaper, but you'll still have to get the adapters.

Follow the instructions posted in the forum and you'll do fine. I put mine in in about four hours. I made custom brackets for the rear since I bought speakers that "wouldn't fit" and I installed tweeters in the front door factory location, which also required me to make a mounting plate, The fabrication of my mounts took the majority of my time. A simple installation would take less than half that time.

I would suggest replacing the tweeters too. Even though I bought two way speakers, the new tweeters made a big difference.

13. Jan 6, 2009 at 2:08 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    I have seen "plug n' play" speakers (already built into replacement kick panels or door panels for classic cars) in one of my distributors catalogs however they were just aftermarket speakers with an adapter already connected. :) Do you have a link to the ones for Tacoma trucks?

14. Jan 6, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Marv, you silly old fart; you know nothing about "modern" speaker installs. It is obvious by your lack of knowledge about the proper speaker plug for Tacomas and incoherent rambling about "baffles" and proper install . Re-read his response to the OP and you will see that he has the correct answer. :D

You and I are totally wrong about this installation question.

15. Jan 6, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
  16. Jan 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Just do it right - run new wires to your 4 channel amp :)

17. Jan 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM
    craigFLA

craigFLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs

:smack: Yeah Marv, what he said...lol...

18. Jan 8, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    +1 to Mr.Marv for knowing his stuff. haha

Products Discussed in

To Top