1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Simplified Guide to Traction Controls (TRAC, AUTO LSD, TRAC OFF, VSC OFF)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by David K, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Dec 9, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Second Generation Tacomas, mostly 2009-2015 and somewhat 3rd Generation, perhaps.
    There are so many parallel threads on these modes and how to use them, I thought this may help. Please reply if you can add anything. I could use more confirmation on the 2012+ models and confirm the data.

The total possible driving modes are:
    1) H2 TRAC
    2) H2 AUTO LSD (VSC is off only to 30 mph)
    3) H2 VSC OFF

4) H4 TRAC*
    5) H4 TRAC OFF*
    6) H4 VSC OFF

7) L4
    8) L4 A-TRAC
    9) L4 REAR LOCKED
    10) L4 A-TRAC + REAR LOCKED

1-3: All Tacomas
    1-7: 4WD Tacomas
    1-10: 4WD OFF ROAD TRD Tacomas

* 2009-2011 Tacomas did not have a selectable TRAC OFF mode. TRAC in H4 then was the same as TRAC OFF, and was the standard mode.

VSC OFF mode is both VSC and TRAC turned off.
    AUTO LSD is also in VSC OFF to 30 mph above which VSC is back on.

AUTO LSD and TRAC OFF require a quick push of the VSC OFF button, moving or stopped.
    VSC OFF requires the vehicle be stopped, then press and hold in the button until light comes on (about 3-5 seconds).

AUTO LSD (H2) and TRAC OFF (H4) are both the stronger limited slip. Use if you get tire spin in standard TRAC mode.

================================================================

MORE...

TRAC is light limited slip, will regulate engine output to reduce spin and apply brake pressure,
    AUTO LSD and TRAC OFF is a stronger limited slip, the engine regulation is turned OFF.
    TRAC, AUTO LSD, and TRAC OFF are limited slip traction modes to get you moving from a stop.

VSC is vehicle stability control to keep you moving in the direction you intend. This is a moving system to correct sliding on the highway as well as off road. The 'beep-beep-beep' alerts you it is working and to slow down.

TRAC (and AUTO LSD & TRAC OFF) and VSC are controlled by the same button. Either a quick press moving or stopped or hold in 3-5 seconds while stopped.
    TRAC OFF is a higher degree of TRAC, not TRAC turned off!
    VSC OFF is to turn off both VSC and TRAC... so that is how you turn TRAC off.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. Dec 9, 2016 at 7:11 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    The 12+ models don't have anything that you didn't include on your list.

3. Dec 9, 2016 at 7:28 PM
    Rctrumpet1993

Rctrumpet1993 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 red regular cab 4x4
    None
    I think you nailed it.

4. Dec 9, 2016 at 8:00 PM
    Timbuktu

Timbuktu Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Cen. Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2012 PM Tacoma
    It is what it is!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you,!

5. Dec 9, 2016 at 11:08 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Great!
    I would like to drive or ride in a 2012+ and photograph the gauge area when the TRAC OFF light comes on and just verify stuff in my mind.
    You guys have seen my photos of the different driving mode/traction/VSC lights posted, yes?

6. Dec 10, 2016 at 3:40 PM
    flying_az

flying_az Well-Known Member

Member:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road, 4X4, MT
    Old Man EMU, Avid sliders, Pelfreybilt skids, winch mount bumper & winch, 265/75-16 BFG KO2s, fiberglass tonneau cover, flexible mud flaps, locking tailgate, debadged, decals removed, breather relocate
    Here is a cheat sheet I made for myself, and keep in my glove box.

Attached Files:

dpele, Marc70, Tacomabaja12 and 4 others like this.
  7. Dec 10, 2016 at 4:58 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Nice, but one correction. Quick press of VSC button puts truck in TRAC OFF mode if in H4 or AUTO LSD if in H2. This is not TRAC turned off but engine regulation turned off for a stronger TRAC.

Marc70 likes this.
  8. Dec 10, 2016 at 5:27 PM
    Lthompson

Lthompson Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm still confused. The main thing that confuses me, is what applies to what year, and what buttons do what. I only have 1 button, and it is a the pic of a vehicle skidding with "off" under it. So when anyone says the "VSC" button... I dont have that. and I get confused. and when am I supposed to use any of this..

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  9. Dec 10, 2016 at 6:48 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I am here to help. My opening post does have everything you ask I think.

The VSC OFF button controls the 2009 and newer Tacoma traction controls and stability control functions. The 4WD Off Road TRD also has an A-TRAC button and Rear locker button.

10. Dec 10, 2016 at 6:55 PM
    Lthompson

Member:
    is this what you are calling the "vsc" button? I have seen some pics that actually say "vsc" on the button.. And also have anoother like this.. I think that is why I'm confused. I didn't think I had a "vsc" button so every time someone referred to it I was lost.. I thought this was the trac on/off button. I'm in a 2011 trd sport btw

121016952050[00].jpg

11. Dec 10, 2016 at 6:58 PM
    Lthompson

Member:
    I see it now in your post that they are controlled by the same button.. still trying to decipher it though lol

12. Dec 10, 2016 at 8:14 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Yes, that is the VSC OFF button. Toyota calls it a switch.

Press once increases the level of traction control by turning off the engine regulation. Called AUTO LSD in H2 and TRAC OFF in H4.

Stop driving then press and hold in 3 seconds to turn off traction and VSC controls. Called VSC OFF.

Norton likes this.
  13. Dec 11, 2016 at 12:00 AM
    South Oregon Coast Taco

South Oregon Coast Taco New Member

Member:
    For me the question is not what does configuration do but why/when would you select it? What are driving conditions examples of why you would choose the various configurations?

cryptolime likes this.
  14. Dec 11, 2016 at 8:19 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Yes, of course, and for different people will be different reasons. However, I think wheel spin is the primary reason for traction control. Here is a guide (my words, not Toyota's) with the numbers matching the 10 drive modes I listed in the top post.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When a wheel or wheels spin it means you have lost traction, not moving (or moving efficiently), and may be stuck.

Traction Control (TRAC) is to assist in regaining traction by altering the action that is losing traction.

Example: In 2WD, you step on the gas to move and one tire spins because it is on ice, mud, snow, sand while the other tire is on firmer ground.

1) Standard mode is TRAC and it goes into action by cutting the engine output (since stepping on the gas is not helping) and applies brake pressure to the spinning tire. This transfers rotation energy to the other tire with traction.

IF THAT ISN'T ENOUGH >>> PRESS the VSC OFF BUTTON once:

2) AUTO LSD does not cut the engine output (or as much) and only applies brake force to the spinning tire to the degree the power is balanced with the traction tire. VSC goes off to 30 mph then comes back on.

If your tires are packed and need to be cleaned out or unrestricted tire spinning is desired >>> Press and hold in for 3+ seconds the VSC OFF button, while stopped:

3) VSC OFF MODE is to turn off both traction control and VSC (stability control) for no brake action or throttle restriction.

Those with 4WD models should utilize their transfer case and front drive if wheel spin occurs in 2WD.

4) Standard mode in H4 (4WD High Range) is TRAC, as in #1 it cuts engine output and applies brake pressure on any front or rear tire that spins.

IF THAT ISN'T ENOUGH >>> PRESS the VSC OFF BUTTON once:

5) TRAC OFF MODE does not cut the engine output so you have unrestricted power on the traction tires while spinning tires get braked to slow their spin.

If your tires are packed and need to be cleaned out or unrestricted tire spinning is desired >>> Press and hold in for 3+ seconds the VSC OFF button, while stopped:

6) VSC OFF MODE is to turn off both traction control and VSC (stability control) for no brake action or throttle restriction.

7) Standard mode in L4 (4WD low range) is VSC OFF (no traction control or stability control).

8) A-TRAC/MTS with A-TRAC button pressed or multi-terrain dial used, the truck has traction control on the front and rear that nearly matches locking differentials for the amount of spin control. Always use this when in L4 unless spinning tires is desired. This mode should be all the Tacoma needs for any off roading. Only use #9 or #10 if #8 does not move your truck.

9) Locking Rear Differential. To be used for emergency only per Toyota. Locks the rotation of both rear tires together. Steering control is affected, so it is recommended to only use to get unstuck and not over 5 mph.

10) A-TRAC/MTS + Locking Rear Differential. This adds near locker-like spin control on the front tires while the rear is locked. Use for emergency perhaps when pulling a stuck vehicle. Maximum traction, but use only in straight runs and only as long as needed.

15. Dec 11, 2016 at 9:33 PM
    South Oregon Coast Taco

South Oregon Coast Taco New Member

Member:
    Thank you David K. That was an outstanding description that gives me an idea of why to select the various traction options. I'll print it and keep it in my truck (2012 TRD Off-Road) for reference.

Cheers

David K[OP] likes this.
  16. Dec 12, 2016 at 8:33 AM
    mict450

mict450 got heel toe?

Member:
    northeastern California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport AC MT BBP
    The owner's manual was not very helpful in describing the various modes.. I often wonder if this is a matter of a native japanese speaker translating text into english.....As anyone who has visited Japan can attest, they are very fond of english and have slogans plastered on various products that probably make sense in their language but sounds strange or nonsensical to us. Thanks to David for providing this plain, crystal clear explanation.

cryptolime likes this.
  17. Dec 12, 2016 at 8:42 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I am happy to help and also I agree with you on the English translations!
    I mean "TRAC OFF" to mean MORE TRAC??? Seriously! LOL

18. Dec 12, 2016 at 8:50 AM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    22 Tremor 402A, 22 T4R ORP
    Good write up, thanks OP. I've never really before understood the aversion to using the locker, it's pretty robust, but definitely tougher to turn and control when it's locked so that makes sense now. Plus ATRAC works damn near as well from the few times I've used it.

David K[OP] likes this.
  19. Dec 12, 2016 at 8:54 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Exactly... Just trust the A-TRAC. Yes, there is weird and loud noise and there may be some slippage and heavy pedal needed... but you can steer with ease compared to the locker. The locker is always there if the A-TRAC can't get you through (I just haven't found the place where that happens, yet).

20. Dec 12, 2016 at 8:59 AM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    22 Tremor 402A, 22 T4R ORP
    ATRAC didn't help me here. But in hindsight, it was user error, didn't have enough wheel speed to clear the lugs.

IMG_9346.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg

Rctrumpet1993 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top