1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Single Sub & Amp Rack for 09 Double Cab

Discussion in 'Mr Marv' started by swcurby, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Feb 5, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    swcurby

swcurby [OP] Member

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    G4 fold-a-cover, SS oval tube steps, AVH-4000DVD, ScanGaugeII
    I've seen your work and it is exceptional. Your tutorial on sub and amp install for a double cab on TN is awesome. The setup seems to be a little more powerful than what I am looking for. I am looking to install a sub and amp from my old truck (save money) and looking for some suggestions. Also, possibly some specs on the area behind the rear seat before I take everything apart.

The equipment is as follows:
    Pioneer TS-W252R
    Clarion APX2120 60W x 2 @ 4 Ohm, 100W x 2 @ 2 Ohm

I am looking to remove the bass from my speakers to allow for clearer, more crisp sound. I would like to make a box that will double as an amp rack if possible. Of course it depends on space behind the seats. I would also like to take up as little storage space as possible, if possible only using the space behind the drivers side. I also have a satellite radio box I would like to install with it. What are your suggestions? Am I asking too much from such a small space? Thanks in advance.

By the way, I will be making a 3D model of the box before I build it to make sure that it will be large enough for the subs specs.

2. Feb 9, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Thanks for the compliment and nothing wrong with using gear you already have if it will work! No need to make a 3D model since my pencil and paper :eek: tell me you can fit that sub back there but unfortunately you won't be able to get both that and the amp on just the drivers side.

Are you planning to keep the factory headunit and factory speakers?

3. Feb 9, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    swcurby

swcurby [OP] Member

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    I have already replaced the factory head unit (Pioneer AVH-4000DVD) and plan to replace the speakers eventually. It will depend on how the system sounds once the sub and amp are in.

What are the dimensions of the space behind the seat, do you know? I thought I would probably have to use the passenger side.

I like this design even though some size modifications may need to be made:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    What are the dimensions on this box? Did you cover the box with LineX? I have seen that before and I would like to do the same to mine. Is there any prep work that needs to be done to the box for the LineX to adhere.

4. Feb 25, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Sorry I missed this post somehow! If you would like help to build one of these yourself please give me a call at the number below!

5. Feb 26, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    swcurby

swcurby [OP] Member

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    I'm really busy today, but will have time to call you tomorrow. I noticed you are from CA. What time would be good for you. I am in IN.

6. Feb 26, 2009 at 11:17 AM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Anytime between 7AM and 8PM PST. :)

7. May 4, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    swcurby

swcurby [OP] Member

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Mr Marv,

I talked to you a few months ago about making the sub box above. I am going to be attempting this in a few weeks and was wondering if you had measurements on it. Also, when we talked, you mentioned that there were two brackets that needed to be removed or flattened to fit this box. I was thinking about making a couple forms to cover these without having to remove them (either out of plastic or fiberglass). Do you think this would be possible or would they inhibit the sub location? I imagine the box would need to made a little smaller. The majority of the box would be made of 1/2" MDF. Incorporating these brackets into the box with MDF would be too complex. Thanks in advance.

8. May 4, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    You still gotta give me a call at the number below! :)

9. May 17, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    swcurby

swcurby [OP] Member

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    I plan on attempting this box next weekend, but I had another question unrelated to the sub box.

I have played with the idea to install speakers in the bed of my truck. I was thinking about mounting marine speakers in speaker boxes in the front corners of the bed, mounting the boxes to the bed rails. I am having trouble finding information on space needed for a speaker in a speaker box and though you may have some insight. Do you have any recommendations on size? Currently, I don't have any speakers in mind. I was planning on 6.5" or 6x9" speakers. Thanks in advance.

The idea is that the speakers would be powered by an amp. The remote wire on the amp would be connected to the remote on the head unit and run through a switch so I could turn the amp (speakers) on and off.

To Top