1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sirius sounds terrible!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by CharlieX, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Nov 17, 2008 at 10:52 AM
    CharlieX

CharlieX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey all - been off the boards for awhile but finally got time to tinker with my Tacoma.

Put in the Metra ipod adapter this weekend. took all of 4 minutes to install - 20 to figure out what to do with the cable.

I had a Sirius InV2 that wasn't being used, so I hooked it up and ran the audio line out into the Metra. Sounds TERRIBLE! Like 64kps Mp3's. Plus the audio level is about 25% lower than FM/CD. I plugged my iPod into the headphone jack and it sounds great - so I know my Metra install is clean and correct.

So is this just how Sirius sounds? I've got the micro dot antennae on the roof, 3 inches of metal all around as suggested. Signal levels are good. It does take about 30 seconds from when I turn the car on to "get signal"

As far as the audio level, I made sure the "audio level" on the Inv2 is cranked to max. I wonder if one of the higher end Sirius units has more outputs? Or should I get a pre-amp for the headphone line?

thanks for any clues!

2. Nov 17, 2008 at 11:41 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I had Sirius for a year... Took it out after the year - because I never used it. MAYBE once I get the Pioneer DNX5120 or something - where it is hardwired - it'll be better and I might consider it again... But you're right - volume sucked and so did reception. Plus, me living near large cities with lots of FM radio stations - did not leave me much option for free FM channels for the signal transmission... especially as I drove into work.

Will never have it again - until it's hardwired in.

My fiancee has XM and it rocks... but her's is integrated into stereo.

3. Nov 17, 2008 at 12:40 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Keep in mind most of the music on Sirius or XM are compressed heavily and I wouldn't be surprised if most are in the 64kps range.

4. Nov 17, 2008 at 12:44 PM
    CharlieX

Member:
    thanks guys, looking around the internet it seems that both XM and Sirius are *heavily* compressed signals. It's too bad - in live in LA and most FM stations sound way better than satellite.

the only saving grace of Sirius is the amount of content. Now I just need to find a way to boost that headphone/line in signal so I don't need to have my Tacoma cranked to 50+ all the time

5. Nov 17, 2008 at 12:59 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Yea - try calling them and get them to send you a free installation voucher and a unit that allows for hardwiring... They tried to do that for me to save me as a customer... Just call and complain and see what it does for you... Just my $.02.

6. Nov 17, 2008 at 1:30 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Tacoma offroad armor fabricating beast Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Eastern side of the Sierras: Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 6mt to 03 SR5 to 08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    does the radio have an output level that can be adjusted? on my XM radio reciever i have an output level that i could use to adjust the audio to the deck. mine turned up to the highest level put me just a hair quieter than the regular radio or a CD

7. Nov 17, 2008 at 1:34 PM
    CharlieX

Member:

It does have an Audio Volume setting - I've got it cranked. This is their cheapest unit, I wonder if a nicer one might have a little more juice? But if your's is XM, could be their hardware is just louder versus Sirius.

Products Discussed in

To Top