1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SIRIUSXM worth it?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Taco man17, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Nov 7, 2017 at 4:28 AM
    Sauer Taco

Sauer Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Finksburg MD
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport DCLB BBP
    I just got two months free after my last Toyota service visit as a "thank you"...I wont pay for it in the truck, but I have a lifetime subscription in my DD. Bought that when it was about $300 over ten years ago. been using the same head unit, Sportster 5, since day one..and they will allow for 3 radio transfers for $75/ transfer.

Not sure I would pay for it in your shoes. Not only has the sound quality gotten worse over the years, but they seem to have taken the same MO as FM. play the same play list day after day, just in a different order....the only exception ive found is Deep Tracks, blue grass junction and BB Kings Bluesville...IMO. I do listen to a lot of Stern though..and talk radio on long trips.

Taco man17[OP] likes this.
  2. Nov 7, 2017 at 4:36 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Rock stations are being shutdown everywhere I go so my only refuge is SiriusXM. I’ve literally lived in 3 places that had awesome rock stations and then within the year they turned into rap or pop to add to the other 20 rap/pop stations. And all I’m left with is classic rock which turns out to be a robot playing the same 10 songs over and over.

I haven’t listened to local radio in 3 years. Still salty.

My wife also works from home so she listens to Sirius all day long, so it makes it even more worth it to me.

3. Nov 7, 2017 at 6:48 AM
    ElBlancoTaco

ElBlancoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Called first thing this morning to cancel, they threw out all the cheap offers, but canceled and refunded and entire call took less than 10 minutes.

4. Nov 7, 2017 at 8:05 AM
    phsycle

phsycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    With so many free and/or cheap streaming services, it doesn't make sense for me. On long trips, especially ones that go deep into the backcountry (no cell reception), I just download the gazillion podcasts out there. There are programs you can't get from other sources, so if that's the case, I guess it makes Sirius worth it.

TA2016 likes this.
  5. Nov 7, 2017 at 10:18 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    If you search, there's usually ads that they have offering either 6 for $25 or 5 for $25. You just tell them you saw it online and they give it to you. When it's time to cancel, they will offer you several deals and as a last resort to keep you as a customer, they offer you the same deal again.

6. Nov 7, 2017 at 11:08 AM
    Beerpayzdabillz

Beerpayzdabillz Pastryatarian

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB 4x4 sport
    I prefer satellite radio. I listen to NFL and college sports, comedy and several different music genres.

7. Nov 7, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Yeah I’m an old school young fart at 25 I still prefer throwing a CD in if I’ve got nothing to listen to. That or my iPhone or Bluetooth iPod Nano.

I’ve been meaning to try audiobooks on long trips.

8. Nov 7, 2017 at 3:07 PM
    SR5 BRI

SR5 BRI Brian Good Sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Albany n.y.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Sport Quadcab
    Alot
    I tell them every 5 months I am going to cancel and they put you to customer service and it goes down to $26 for 5months. I would not pay a penny more. Pandora sounds so much better

9. Nov 7, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    IndyZen

IndyZen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Central Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD Off Road DCSB 4X4 Manual Tranny
    I liked it on the free trial and subscribed for 12 months at $99. At that cost, I will continue it when it expires. If they won't cut me that break, I'll cancel. For me, The Loft, First Wave, NFL and multiple news stations make it worth it.

ElBlancoTaco likes this.
  10. Nov 7, 2017 at 3:47 PM
    ElBlancoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Just watch your statement as they auto-renew at full boat.

11. Nov 7, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    SR5 BRI

SR5 BRI Brian Good Sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Albany n.y.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Sport Quadcab
    Alot
    Yes That's their game rip you off at full price. I have a guy at work that pays by the month, thinks he is getting a deal,dumbass

12. Nov 18, 2017 at 8:17 PM
    Early B.

Early B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    metro Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2014 2.7L, 5 lug Tacoma
    18" tires and rims, 2.75" Procomp lift, Fox shocks in rear.
    I just ordered SIRIUSXM. Gonna try it for 6 months. I thought about using a jump drive, but don't wanna hear the same music over and over again, which is the same problem with SIRIUSXM, but there's more comedy, talk and news stations than regular radio (and none on a jump drive) to break the monotony. I agree with most here -- if I continue the service, I don't plan on paying more than about $6/month.

13. Nov 18, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    Longboard1110

Longboard1110 ...................

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    A few things
    I only use mine for Howard Stern. Been a faithful listener for 25+ years. Some other stuff is ok, but Id gladly pay to only listen to Howard.

14. Nov 19, 2017 at 3:48 PM
    wall-e

wall-e Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW WASHINGTON
    Vehicle:
    RED TRD PRO
    HID Headlights, SnugTop GB Sport Canopy
    Do any of you have a lifetime sirius/xm account? I have one and I was wondering if I could transfer it to my new truck? My radio was stolen in my last truck, and i replaced it with a cheap one before trading it in. Have any of you gone through the process of transferring your sirius/xm account to your new vehicle with factory sirius/xm stereo? Also, do you have to wait for the three month trial subscription to expire before renewing or transferring an account?

15. Nov 19, 2017 at 3:55 PM
    Ox Demon x0

Ox Demon x0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Black TRD Sport V6
    As a country music fan, i love it for the live concerts. When route 91 music fest was on did not miss a moment of the concerts. I also feel like the sound quality is better than normal radio. A bit pricey but i am hooked and cannot give it up.

16. Nov 19, 2017 at 7:49 PM
    rtzx9r

rtzx9r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bueller
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    LS1 swap with nitros.
    They play the same loop. Kills it for me. My wife has it in her Acura and I hear the same songs as 10 years ago on alt nation.

I have Apple Music for $10/month in the truck. I stream various music channels they have as well as can click on virtually any band/artist and can listen to anything they have. Feel like Zeppelin? Boston? Petty? Metallica? The Beatles? Got it. It connects to the head unit easily and sounds great. I stream it at work daily as well.

17. Nov 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM
    ElBlancoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Just as a follow up to my shutting off my service... I have heard over the years other people say this worked, so I tried it myself and can confirm it works...

Turn off your Sirius tuner before calling to cancel and leave it off for several weeks. They only send out the cancel signals for a limited time and can't confirm if you're canceled or not.

I canceled at the beginning of Nov and left the Sat Tuner off. Yesterday and today I turned it on, working fine, all channels. I've heard they often send out random cancel signals, so leaving it off is probably the best way to go and only use it selectively.

18. Dec 11, 2017 at 6:32 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    I listened to it when it was free on my new truck, and again when I got 60 days free after a dealer service visit. But we have really excellent local broadcast radio, and when I'm on a long road trip I either watch the scenery or listen to streaming or saved music off my phone. Just another monthly bill otherwise ... also, the XM goes out briefly under overpasses, really bugs me.

19. Dec 13, 2017 at 9:38 AM
    kbp810

kbp810 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Au Gres, MI
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR
    I finally threw in the towel on XM yesterday... I liked it solely for Octane, as the rock stations around me are terrible; but it's not the same channel it used to be. Used to be new songs being added all the time, and could go all day (or at least most) without hearing a repeat. Not anymore... and it just keeps getting worse and worse. Constantly playing old songs that belong on "Turbo" (not that they're bad songs, just that if I wanted to hear them I'd change the channel, or listen to FM), playing the same handful of songs over and over and over again, and started playing a bunch of songs that have no business being on a hard rock channel. Will stick with streaming services or my own playlists.

U-bolt and Taco man17[OP] like this.
  20. Dec 22, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    U-bolt

U-bolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mooresville NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver TX Pro & 1950 Willys owned for 3 generations
    885's from Headstrong KC HiLights 634 130w PIAA Fog Lights Headlight bulb upgraded to Silverstar Ultra’s N-Fab Light Bar (POS!) Never buy their stuff Replaced chrome TX pro grill with stock. Saving the original. Viair00088 88P Portable Air compressor w/tire repair kit LED interior bulbs Pioneer Radio (discontinued model) Removable Sirrius receiver Cheap-o Floor mats (to save TRD mats) Softopper Custom bed platform w/carpet & hinged Rubber Bed Matt LED Reverse Bulbs Backup camera Esky EC135-05 Black Rear bumper to replace stock chrome one. Willys Jeep Partial Restore spring of 2017. Road worthy and my plow truck 1988 White Grand Wagoneer
    I had Sirius for 6+ years. Canceled 4 months ago. If I were to do it again I'd say "Save your money"

Products Discussed in

To Top