1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sister's Car Impounded by Police- Can we get it out?

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by Fenwick1993, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Aug 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD OR C/M 5.7l 4x4
    this is what i thought, but that is not "impounding" the car. If the cop told them he was "impounding" it, it makes me think he had them to it back to the PD pending investigation. If OP just doesnt know what impound means, then i would agree with you.

2. Aug 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    rickrock

rickrock Beer.

Member:
    Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    Tail gate lock, Tri-fold, Hood deflector
    This ^^^^ ?

That would make sense...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  3. Aug 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Weapon Mechanic

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-D3, SWI-PS, Sirius Satellite Radio, 2X In-Cab 110V Outlets, Constant Fog Light Mod, Inverter Always 400W Mod, Anti-Pack-Rat-In-Intake Mod, Eibachs on 5100's, 2" Toytec AAL, B.A.M.F Rear Diff Skid, 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires
    On the back of your copy of the tow form should be a number you can call to schedule a hearing at the tow company's lot. If your dad can get this hearing scheduled with the officer's supervisor and the supervisor agrees to let the car be turned back over, you will only be out the fees and have your car back. At least that's how it works here in California.

4. Aug 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 [OP] Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    Stonewall Jackson, '96 Xtracab, rebuilt motor
    Full rebuild short of machine work, mean green motherfucker! Lime green block, hand-polished valve cover, and stickers! Too broke for real mods right now. Stonewall is my baby, but he's also a work truck.
    Yeah, he does need to put his foot down on her taking that car. The thing is, he's never home, because he's always at work, so she just slips out without anyone knowing. The cop was really nice, and I do think he was trying to be as helpful as he could.

Yeah, let's not steal, ha ha. Not one to beg, but maybe we can find someone to borrow a car from for the next couple days. We are trying to get our van running, but I doubt it will be legal in time to alleviate the one-vehicle situation. It runs, but needs a door, a windshield, a rearview mirror, and to have the cracked piece of frame in front of the door welded so that the door doesn't just fling open/fall off. (One van threw a rod through the wall, so we are bringing this other van back to life.) My sister is definitely a big part of our problem. She costs us so much money, with her tickets, car payments, insurance, etc. The problem is, I don't think my parents would kick her out, because she'd probably die on her own or something.

Dad called the officer and talked to him for a while- just got off the phone with him a couple minutes ago. He said that Dad may be able to go down to the courts and contest it on Monday, get one day taken off, since its originally going to be in there until Tuesday. I guess the courts aren't open on weekends. I guess this is what we are going to try to do.
    And you're right, I guess I used the wrong term when I said impounding- what would the correct term be, then? It's at Allen's (Sp.?) Towing. I thought it was called impounding if they take the car away. I had no idea that there was a difference in what it was called because it was taken to a private lot. That's my bad, sorry if I confused anyone.
    And thanks guys, for all of your help. I really appreciate y'all taking your time to read this.

5. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Around here it's a mandatory 30 day impound.

6. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    TailDrag

TailDrag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Keep us posted? Might be able to throw some bones your way if y'all are at that much risk.

7. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM
    Fenwick1993

Member:
    First Name:
    Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    Full rebuild short of machine work, mean green motherfucker! Lime green block, hand-polished valve cover, and stickers! Too broke for real mods right now. Stonewall is my baby, but he's also a work truck.
    I'll keep y'all posted in this here thread. If we can get out of this ourselves, we are going to try. I don't wanna have to ask for assistance. :p Thanks guys, you all really rock.
    I reckon I'm gonna go to bed now. Just picked up my little sister (not my big, stupid sister) from work, gotta be up for the paper route in a little over 2 hours. (It's 12:33 AM here.) I'll let y'all know of any updates in the morning if I get the chance.
    Again, thanks.

8. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    TailDrag

Member:
    Not assistance. It's human decency. No need for your family to suffer.

I'm sure we could all spare a few bucks if it comes down to losing everything.

9. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

I'd be in for a 20.

10. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra TRD OR C/M 5.7l 4x4
    X2

11. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    TailDrag

Member:
    Glad to see others interested.

Let us know what the deal is and we can start a thread, set up a PayPal if you don't have one or something to get y'all a little help financially.

12. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:54 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Resident Otaku

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab Long Bed V6 SR5
    Rain visors, Fog Light Anytime, Uniden 505xl CB Radio and 5 foot Firestick antenna, RTMR Fuse box, Mobtown Offroad Recovery Bar with 2" Receiver Tube
    No, it seems that she's essentially stealing the car in the middle of they day when dad isn't home, and it happens, my taco was almost the dd for four people....

13. Aug 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    If she has a suspended license why would she need the car anyway?

14. Aug 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    TailDrag

Member:
    Guessing the same reason licensed drivers need cars.. pretty much any reason they can think of.

15. Aug 10, 2013 at 1:22 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Kick your sisters ass! I mean she must be mental or extremely stupid

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  16. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:11 AM
    TailDrag

Member:
  17. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 ASE Master Tech Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    They have every right to impound a car when it is being driven illegally, in commission of a crime. Regardless of ownership.

Understand that I am just giving you the facts, and in no way trying to offend anyone, but the hilighted part above is total BS. Your dad has EVERYTHING to do with that, and while your sister is the one doing something dumb, your dad can EASILY prevent it from happening by collecting every single key to the car and not making a key available to her. Unless she plans on literally stealing the car, if she doesn't have a key, she cant take the car. Simple.

Yes, the car was impounded. Just because it was impounded does not mean it has to be taken to the police lot. All over the US there are towing companies that have fenced in lots (a requirement for those who tow for impounds) and they are given a directive by the police to tow the vehicle to their lot (in this case Allen's Towing) and hold it until either directed by the police, or listed fines/fees are paid.

18. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    SoCal
    Rear leaf spring tsb 5000 miles, w ac fan 26k miles, windshield creaking 28k miles- not warranty. Bad upper idler pulleys 32k miles- not warranty, Toyota Quality!
    Things always get better at some point. Keep your head up.

19. Aug 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    Fenwick1993

Member:
    First Name:
    Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    These responses are really quite touching. You know you're good people when you are willing to help out someone you only know on the computer. Major respect for all of you. But you know that if I do accept help from y'all, I'm going to have to pay you all back one way or another when I get the chance. And if you're ever in Chesapeake, my door is always open.
    Haven't heard any more on it from the police, my sister, or my dad, other than that dad probably will not be able to get her car out early on Monday even if he can go to court and contest it, because he's gotta work open to close. (9-9) And Iva, my sister, said that her court date is Oct 3- her birthday. How ironic. Funny, cos I'm sure she'll be going to jail. So jail on her birthday. She deserves it, though. Truck performed very well on the route last night. If I wasn't scared of the route tearing it up (the weight of 1000 papers, veering in the street to throw papers in driveways, constant stop-and-go, etc) I'd say it'd make a great route truck. I just started a paypal a few weeks ago, not sure how to use it though. And it's not verified, becuase they want my legal documents to verify. Bank account it's connected to is Navy Fed.

This. She has a job, and her hours conflict with my dad's, so she was left mostly to her own devices to find a ride. And most of the time, she'd just take the car.

You're absolutely right when you put it that way- he should have done that. I don't know why he didn't take the keys from her, but he definitely should have. And I take no offense, because you really do make sense.

Will do. I'm trying to.

I'm about to leave, likely won't be back on for a couple hours. Already took dad and Iva to work, still gotta take my little sis to work, and I gotta mow a couple yards to make some cash for my own insurance payment. I'll update y'all when I get the chance on what's going on.

20. Aug 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    Your father let his daughter drive around on a suspended licence in his car multiple occasions and he's mad they impounded it? :facepalm:

To Top