1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Six speed manual injustice, my long winded rant starts here:

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by squamish VFR, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mar 8, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    :laugh: Why do I find it amusing that they tie the ecu reflash to shortening your gas pedal? I guess I kind of get it...but still seems like nonsense.

2. Mar 8, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    tacomarich

tacomarich luvsoffroading

Member:
    First Name:
    rich
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    trd 4x4 offroad
  3. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    I didn't mean the fact they will do it is nonsense. No offense intended. :(

...the fact that Toyota tied them together seems silly. You should be able to have the reflash w/o the pedal shave...and apparently you can as long as you stay on top of the dealer, or make them replace the shaved pedal back to normal...as demonstrated in the thread you attached...which I had read when it was originally posted.

4. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:12 AM
    tacomarich

Member:
    First Name:
    rich
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    trd 4x4 offroad
    no worries. i didnt take offense. i wasnt sure if anyone read the prior post on the pedal shave and thought id paste it. i agree though the stealer ship needs to just re flash your ecu w/o the whole shave on the pedal.

5. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I believe this only aplies to autos.

6. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    tacomarich

Member:
    First Name:
    rich
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    trd 4x4 offroad
    nope. 2nd gen tacomas too.

7. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    kcbmx

kcbmx doing my thing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Bakersfield CaLiFoRnIa
    Vehicle:
    2tr-fe 4wd
    spit cup, weathertech floor mats, riffle rack, and bilsteins.
    I heard the 2nd gen 4 cyls have a solid 5 speed similar to the 1st gens. Anyone have any clarification on this?

8. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    Truckn4life

Truckn4life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Iowa City
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 Reg Cab SR5
    thanks Obi Wan. the force be with you.

I have a 09 I4 manual 4x4. it has some trouble with shifting but people mostly have problems with 1st. I think it is mostly driver error on our trucks. my idle returns normally.

you should let off the gas fully before you push in the clutch. then after you get it into gear, you should give gas to match the power needed when you let the clutch out. IME toyota manuals are not easy to use but last a long time.

9. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    TexMexTaco

TexMexTaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR 4x4 Manual
    When I bought my truck I wanted a manual. My 6 speed manual took some getting used to. It is a bit tricky, but I feel like shifting can be learned and smooth with practice. I've had multiple manuals in the past and this one is different. The hanging RPMs are slightly annoying, but I shift quick so the RPMs drop going into the next gear. I wouldn't pick an auto over manual because of this. If it could be modified easily I'd do it, though.

10. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Just to clarify, NOx are created in the CC during light throttle settings. Under loads, heavy acceleration, etc., the combustion temps are kept in check with more fuel being added.

11. Mar 8, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    :rofl:I've been resisting saying anything since I read that last night!

The Troll BS comes through with my daily entertainment again. :rolleyes:

12. Mar 8, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    I have a manual and so does just about all my friends that have a 2nd gen Tacoma and to my knowledge we all do just fine driving them. Even when I drive theres I dont have a problem.

13. Mar 8, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Damn you guys are too sensitive. I don't even notice the RPM hang. True it did take a little finesse getting used to driving the truck, but I also went from a 5spd Honda accord to the truck. I can drive it just fine now and very smoothly.

True, these trucks are a little light on the rear end. That can be attributed to the composite bed which is lighter than metal. I used to break the rear end loose quite a bit with my old shitty Toyo open country AT's. Since I put the duratracs on (on my second set now) I haven't broken the rear loose in the rain.

One thing I like about the truck is I don't have to give it as much gas when taking off like I used to with the accord. I just let the clutch out a little bit then give it very little gas to get going.

Have you tried taking off in 2nd gear? I tend to do this if I'm going down a hill. It makes takeoff a lot smoother.

I love having the 6speed offroad. 1st gear + 4LO = awesome crawling up and down hills.

The only two complaints I have is the TOB, and I wish 6th gear was a little more highway friendly for gas mileage (RPM's too high).

14. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    superminsoo

superminsoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    These trucks do need a little getting used to. I found that keeping a loose left foot with heels firmly planted down and quick shifts makes the shifting a lot easier and compensates for the rpm hang. I just don't compare it to other cars, trucks, or bikes. The TOB is the only thing that kind of bothers me because it's only getting louder but i just deal with it, it blends right in with all the noise from the floor.

15. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    KaBaL

KaBaL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern VA (NOVA)
    Vehicle:
    2017 ORDC 4x4 White
    Brand spanking new...
    As far as drivability, I never noticed anything. But it sure is annoying coming to a stop sign, or light and the truck continues to idle high before dipping, or even on the highway, and coasting down long (loooong) hills in neutral, the rpms never drop so it kinda defeats the purpose. Very annoying, but yet hasn't effected my shifting abilities. Just blows the MPG to shit and back.

(anyone whose drove I-64 through WV knows the hills I'm talking about)

16. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Maybe that's why I never notice the hang. I'm typically always in gear. The only time I shift to nuetral is when i'm completely stopped. I heel-toe downshift to make decelleration smoother and engine brake to descend hills.

17. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    :rofl:

18. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    KaBaL

KaBaL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern VA (NOVA)
    Vehicle:
    2017 ORDC 4x4 White
    Brand spanking new...
    The instances I'm speaking of are simply to break up the monotony of a 9 hour drive between DC and Lexington, KY. Perhaps shave a little extra millage out of the beast. But generally I'm almost 100% engine breaking for around town driving. But the annoyance is still there given the option.

19. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    me too. no problems. i come from all sports/sporty manuals before this. i feel i can drive it any way i want, including integrating hypermiling coasting, etc. with normal driving and shifting. i will admit that shifting quickly in high RPM from first to second can cause some jerking, but just shift a little slower - it's a truck.

initially, the rev hang was strange. i've suffered through it with other DBW vehicles, but anyway, i "adapted" quickly and have had no problems. i also get in my wife's '07 Si and have no real issues getting used to it after driving my truck.

when i had my mazdaspeed3, people on the forums complained about that car's shifting too. again, took a little getting used to if shifting ULTRA fast, but nothing a little wheel time didn't solve. several years with that car without problems. i expect the same with this truck at this point.

i totally agree. on the highway, the faster you go past a certain REASONABLE point, your mileage suffers due to this.

20. Mar 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    The RPM hang is on the V6 it seems from several threads and I noticed on my test drive: mine drop like a rock between shifts. The 5 spd takes some getting used to especially the first to second shift points but I'm getting used to it. It sounds like except for the few who can't live without a manual the auto and V6 seem to work very well. I test drove one and it was great, just not for my needs.

I think the V6 is in more consumer vehicles for performance and to feed those American lead foots LOL. The I4 and 5spd are used in commercial trucks overseas too(flat nose box trucks) and the trans is also in the Colorado. It shifts just like the FUSO box I drove for a moving company for my summer job back in college. The throw is much better after installing the URD short shift kit, but it won't smooth out shifts just make them more solid.

...And my point being someone could easily complain about the 6spd or 5spd in these trucks. They are different beasts and not easy learning curve. Just forget about VALET!

Products Discussed in

To Top