1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Six speed opinions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RCL, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Oct 2, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    x10000:D

2. Oct 2, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    Priddle

Priddle And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    I've noticed this too, the engine keeps reving. I couldn't understand why. It makes smooth shifting difficult. Going from a 5-speed manual in an 03 to this truck I find shifting into 3rd tricky and I find I can't find the gears quickly when downshifting. But I drove that 03 for 7 years and not quite use to the 07. I also find it doesn't take much to disengage the clutch. I don't have to push the clutch pedal far at all

3. Oct 2, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    vermintrex

vermintrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT Shorty
    BFG A/T KO 265/70/17, '11 FJ wheels, 5100's all four corners, Eibach springs, 1/4" Taco lean spacer, Leer 100XR, WeatherTech liners, trimmed mud flaps and I farted in it.
    I'm thinking about this mod. Quite a few reviewers on URD's website mention that reverse is now much harder to engage. Any feedback about that ?

How about the install ? I'm not too bad at stuff like this, but it's always good to hear about others experiences. Any special tools required ?

4. Oct 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    More importantly, the manual in this truck generally sucks. It's notchy going into 1, 2, and 3. 1 is too low. 6 is too low. The synchronizer going into third has always seemed particularly poor. And worst of all, the dumbass electronic controlled throttle simply doesn't mesh well with a manual transmission.

5. Oct 2, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I've also found this transmission enters 3rd poorly. Or I should say more poorly than any other gear. 4, 5, and 6 enter fairly smooth.

That is true about the clutch. When releasing it to start out in gear, I've noticed that it feels like the clutch starts to engage very soon, but it requires a fair amount more travel before the engagement starts to become significant. In other words, it's like I have to release the clutch faster than I feel like I should. Not sure if that makes sense by the way I said it.

6. Oct 2, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    Tino4980

Tino4980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bermuda Dunes, California
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4, 6 Speed , Magnetic Gray
    Love My 6 Speed

7. Oct 2, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR DC Silver
    Old 2010: Redline QL Plus hood struts, rcbs204 illuminated 4x4 switch, seatbelt chime off, cupholder mod, LED interior and license plate lights, trimmed front mudflaps, Fumoto oil drain valve, K&N Air Filter, Leer 100XR Mile High Edition, OME All Four Corners, Duratrac 265/75/16 Load E
    I have never had an automatic. Learned how to drive on a stick and have only driven manuals since then. However, when I purchased my truck a few weeks ago, I went with the auto. I went back and forth for about 3 weeks before deciding, but here's why:

1. Price: I got a screaming deal on a 2010 auto because the dealer had four of the exact same truck.
    2. Drive: I now commute almost 60 miles a day, often in traffic. Also, on long trips, my girlfriend can now be a relief driver.
    3. Drive of the manual: To be completely honest, I didn't really like the way the manual drove. The clutch seemed really stiff, and although that might have broken in, I also found that the throw was really long. I also experienced some of the issues, namely shifting into 3rd, that others have.

All that being said, I'm sure that I would have been completely happy with the manual and I'm sure I would have adapted to some of the "issues" I found with the manual. All in all, though, I've been very happy, somewhat surprisingly, with the auto.

8. Oct 2, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    wolfdog2314

wolfdog2314 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    Eibach coils. 5100's all around. AAL. WickedFlow
    I like my 2011 6 speed. I've only had it two days... The revving when shifting is kinda weird. I just thought I was really horrible at driving it. It takes a little getting used to tho'. Only killed it once... Def not like my 88 bronco II that I used to have. But tue 6sp is really fun.

9. Oct 2, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    I love my 6 speed simply because it's a 6 speed. Driving an auto is dangerously boring, and takes ALL the fun out of driving. Now, the 6 speed in this truck isn't the greatest, I'll admit, but I'd rather drive a shitty 6 speed over a killer auto any day!!!

10. Oct 2, 2010 at 9:30 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I really didn't want an auto, and for the most part still don't. Though I must say, the dumbass design of this truck makes me wish I would have gotten the auto every now and then.

When it's time for a new truck, I will probably look at another manual Tacoma. If by then they haven't solved some of these issues, I'll look elsewhere I guess. No idea what I would go with though at this point.

11. Oct 2, 2010 at 9:39 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    The only things I don't like about the 6spd are the RPM hang when shifting and how short 1st gear is, and I really don't notice the RPM hang anymore. I don't think the 6spd is as awful as some people make it sound. The only other manual tranny I've ever owned has been a shitty old VW Jetta with over 180k miles and a worn out clutch, so to me this one is fine.

I just ordered a URD short shifter because I've heard nothing but good things about it.

12. Oct 2, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    LOVING MY 6SPD RIGHT NOW! I liked having the space of the f-150 but hated the auto. I'm one who enjoys driving and the 6spd allows me to feel connected and a part of whats going on. I got my 2011 a few weeks ago and the sales guy was trying to get me to buy a 2010 auto - they were giving $1000 off msrp and USAA pricing was $650 under invoice. I took the 2011 just for the man.

A lot of complaints of the gearing, throttle, etc. The ONLY problem I wanted to take care of, which was more of a preference, was the shifter throw. Put in a URD short shifter (had one in my 2001 s/c taco as well) and no more complaints. Saving for a URD s/c now.

Once you get used to the tranny you learn when to let off gas so the e-throttle problem goes away. When you get used to the gearing you know when to start off in 2nd gear (ie. rolling stops).

In the end it's really a personal preference. One person is gonna say that the auto is better off road, another is going to say a man. Personally I like being able to completely control the RPM's, power, and torque with gearing/throttle. I like being able to bump-start in emergency situations. As far as "dependability" and such - pick any tranny and youre gonna find problems. Even "bulletproof" ones in the past had their problems.

13. Oct 2, 2010 at 10:32 PM
    m3zy6

m3zy6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4

I am going to have to throw the flag at this one. I don't think in all my reading/researching that I have heard about a single problem with the auto. It's pretty amazing actually. That makes the issues with the 6-spd even less forgivable, imo. Come on Toyota, you can make an auto that is reliable and efficient, and can't do the same in a manual? Shame on you!

14. Oct 2, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    Accel Junky

Accel Junky Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kennesaw, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 6spd DC
    I've had around 20 manual cars and I refuse to drive an auto. I have had my 2010 6spd 4x4 for a little over a week now. The rev hang between shifts is bothersome from the standpoint that I wonder if I'm slipping and excessively wearing the clutch and also from the standpoint that I wonder if I sound like I don't know how to drive stick. The only other thing I can think of is that first gear takeoffs require a lot of finesse to avoid that eighteen-wheeler lurch and I've found the best thing is to rev up to around 3k in first before slowly shifting into 2nd.

All this being said, I wouldn't have purchased this truck without the manual. I scratched all of the full size trucks off my list in the beginning because none of them are sold with a manual any more. It was really Tacoma or Frontier for a manual. I'd give it 2 years and neither of those will offer a manual in the U.S. Financially it doesn't make sense for Toyota or Nissan to make a second version of their drivetrain for an already small and still declining percentage of buyers.

15. Oct 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    It is fairly shameful. With all the manual transmission equipped vehicles I've ever driven, this one is easily the worst. Again though, only part of my complaint is with the transmission itself. Half of it is with the throttle control.

No joke though, I've gotten used to the manual transmissions in old dump trucks from the 70s easier than this thing.

16. Oct 2, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Yep, I agree with all of this. I have no doubt that the goofy response of the electronic throttle long term is going to cause more wear on the clutch than we would have with a manually operated throttle, or a throttle that had a normal response.

I don't know what the truck sounds like from the outside, but it does sound ridiculous when shifting. You're moving along accelerating, take your foot off the gas and press in the clutch, and the RPMs just stay at the same level only suddenly there's no pressure. It has a sound like someone who doesn't know how to drive a manual and doesn't let off the gas when pressing in the clutch.

I may look at a Frontier next time.

17. Oct 3, 2010 at 12:37 AM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    Oh, I wasnt speaking about the Tacoma Auto specifically. But tell me this - how many times do you see a bunch of people agree on something. Theres always going to be complaints that the clut is too heavy or too light. The gears are too this or that. With an auto theres less to complain about (no clutch pedal to complain about, no shifter to complain about, since the computer does the shifting you dont notice it unless its searching for a gear, etc).

You just gotta drive em all and decide whats best for you. Again, I like the control and feel of a manual. Others would rather have the smooth shifting of an auto....

US News and world report rankings of the Tacoma
    *Thumbs up* "It excels in off-road situations and is reasonably comfortable on the street." -- Edmunds
    *no thumbs* "In general, the Tacoma always felt like it'd be happier hauling or towing something or negotiating rocks in a river. On one hand, that's exactly the attitude many buyers will require for a truck. On the other hand, the Tacoma's competition includes some other very capable trucks that offer a more "car-like" daily driving experience - namely the Honda Ridgeline and Nissan Frontier." -- Kelley Blue Book
    *Thumbs up* "This is plenty of truck for 95 percent of truck buyers, everyone who isn't hauling plywood or pulling 40-foot goosenecks." -- Car and Driver.

re: the FJ
    *thumbs down* "Cruising along in the low gear, the engine has a high-pitched whine that makes you feel like you're filming a segment of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom TV show." -- BusinessWeek
    *thumbs up* "Among the pros are a strong V6 engine that does an admirable job of scooting 4,295 pounds from a dead stop, a five-speed automatic transmission characterized by smooth shifts, and rack-and-pinion steering that's dialed in nicely." -- Autoweb
    *thumbs up* "The 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser is in its element off-road. Thanks to its ample suspension articulation, it crawls over boulders, tree roots and most other obstacles with ease. It's also better than most customers would expect on pavement, with precise steering and a smooth ride." -- Edmunds
    *thumbs down* "Like a Hummer, the FJ feels huge but with small windows. It drives like a Tacoma, meaning getting there is less than half the fun." -- Car and Driver

18. Oct 3, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    My 2006, Toyota has a six speed and I love it, would not own a auto, if I had a choice.
    Toyota's are not the best shifting trucks around but I have not had any problems, with the trans being notchy, in any gear.
    I do get the clutch squeak but have no problems with the throw bearing ...

Jeff, 06, V6, SR5, Radiant Red 6speed.

19. Oct 3, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    Azjohn

Azjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    arizona/SLO Ca/SF Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    debadged
    I love my 6sp.

20. Oct 3, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    love mine. Only thing I did was add a short throw shifter. Shifts quick and easy. I haven't had any TO bearing issues or squeaks.

You might have to get creative when putting things in the short bed. I run a ladder rack for longer items, bikes, skis and other toys fit fine in the bed.

Products Discussed in

To Top