1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Skidding trees with a Taco and 12k Winch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Finallyhaveatoyota, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Jan 13, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Sounds like he's got the chainsaw part under control. He's already felling and bucking 40" diameter trees.

ajpagosa likes this.
  2. Jan 13, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    6400lbs+ approx maybe even 7000+. That’s like dragging a vehicle without wheels. Dragging or lifting that’s going to need some horsepower. If lifting that will need a hell of a tractor / loader.

You can buy a tractor for those prices but will it be enough for the OP’s needs or be reliable? My experience you need to substantially increase your spend to find a reliable tractor to do what he needs unless he is willing to shorten the length of his logs by at least 50%. At those weights you are beyond a skid steer by far even if reducing to 8 footers. So to find a loader on a tractor that will lift them I know I won’t touch the purchase around here for tens of thousands.

I think the OP needs to see what equipment is available for rent or hire, see who he can hire to clear the land and maybe bring in some professionals to consult. My guess is at 40” dia. the tree’s height is north of 80’ tall per tree. There are a lot of questions and a lot of variables to be able to give good opinions via the internet. Terrain, density of trees, soil, the OP’s intent with the fallen trees. There is so many variables. Remember he started his post with super tight budget. That means how many dollars? To be honest some of the suggestions offered seem delusional or show an extreme lack of understanding. Some suggestions I would say sure if it was ONE TREE but that doesn’t seem the case.

3. Jan 13, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    df001

df001 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab 4x4 SR5
    The machine you need depends on what you're doing with the logs. Are you sawing them? selling them? firewood? I've dragged logs this size with a fullsize, and even then it was a grunt, definitely wouldn't use my taco unless it was only short distance. IE across the driveway 20' max. and even then I wouldn't use a winch, I'd choke the log with a chain, and drag it. I've had fresh cut sugar maple in that size weigh upwards of 10k if its really wet.

JoefromPTC likes this.
  4. Jan 13, 2018 at 8:09 PM
    Tn Jeff

Tn Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cookeville
    Vehicle:
    2015 white trd off road
    Ome 886, 90021, hd Dakar’s/elo96r. Spc lca. Trd supercharger (not installed)& pro exhaust. Oem Bed mat. Mobtown tailgate skin & cap & lockable cubbies. Demello al front bumper & warn synthetic xd 9000. Body armor rear bumper. Gentex Compass & temp rear view mirror. Amp research Bed extender. Uws side tool boxes. Cooper 265 75 16 st maxx. Rci al skids; pelftry al gas tank skid. All pro Rear locker skid. Cover king neoprene seat covers. Top line vent visors from amazon. Weather tech floor mats. Piaa lp 530 fog lights. Redline Black hood struts. Bamf DOM bolt on sliders with fill plates. White prinsu cabrac. Wheelers superbump stops front & back. Relentless fab u bolt flip.
    If the trees are really 40” dbh, instead of circumference, a logger probably could be found to cut the area, even if it’s relatively small in size. Timber market is booming; in tn at least.

I had 5 large trees (22” dbh white oak, yellow-poplars, red oak) that were wind thrown. A small operations logger harvested the trees over time, when he had time to fool with them. I got 1/3, logger made 2/3.

However, I didn’t have to buck up Any logs, move them somehow from woods to landing, load them in something, then drive them somehow to a mill.

5. Jan 13, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    PacoDevo

PacoDevo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB white "Quinn the Eskimo"
    A 40" diameter tree is pretty big..........you sure you don't mean circumference????

Been a professional forester in Ohio for almost 39 years and 40" diameter trees are pretty uncommon. If sugar maple, they are usually hollow or rotten at that size.

40" log 16' long........I don't think you move it with any of the above suggestions. Recently worked with an Amish crew that had the second largest skid steer (power-wise) and they really struggled at times moving 10-12', 24" diameter (small end) logs. Overall the Kubota did a great logging job. I hope to see more use of these machines with rubber tracks.

Probably need a dozer or skidder to move those big logs.

Tn Jeff and df001 like this.
  6. Jan 13, 2018 at 8:42 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    I don’t know exactly how big these trees are but they sound pretty large from what you say. Felling large trees is extremely dangerous if you aren’t experienced and have little or no knowledge in this area. It sounds like you have little if any experience. I suggest you not fell them yourself. You could end up dead or badly injured. Bite the bullet and spend the money to have a company fell/move/cut up the trees. I have taken down a lot of large trees over the years and believe me I know how dangerous it is. No matter how good or experienced you are trees do not always fall in the direction you want them to.
    Don’t take the chance, hire an experienced pro.

df001 and Tn Jeff like this.
  7. Jan 13, 2018 at 8:49 PM
    df001

df001 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab 4x4 SR5
    let me fix that for you:

Pigpen and Sprig[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Jan 14, 2018 at 4:46 AM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    I don't have experience pulling logs with my Tacoma. I have ton's of experience skidding logs, and I do it with small tractor, or even an ATV. I see you are in MI, which would lead me suspect you probably have some snow cover, and are on Frozen Ground. I built a log arch, a pretty simple trailer tool that lifts the butt end of the log off the ground and anchors it to the arch. The arch hitches to tractor, ATV, or a truck. On said frozen ground, and with modest traction, you could pretty easily skid a 16' log.
    My log arch cost me nothing as I built it with repurposed stuff on the farm. Plenty of companies make commercial ones, for instance LogRite makes several sizes. Take a look at some options here: https://logrite.com/store/Category/log-arches

Just to add some visual interest to this thread, here is a little video of skidding some 16-24" diameter red oak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qovJPUvAdw8

Some snow, frozen ground, and a bigger arch would put you in good shape for moving those logs.

9. Jan 14, 2018 at 7:58 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Just out of curiosity, if you can get the Tacoma where you need it to skid the logs, why not just get the Taco back there and cut the logs with a chain saw and haul around the log sections? Granite it would be ideal to have a trailer, and if you could get the Taco back there, you could get a trailer back there (I'm thinking 5x8 or larger).

Then get yourself a log splitter and put a wood burner in the new house :)

10. Jan 14, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    Shwaa

Shwaa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    There's a YouTube video I saw on this exact activity in a "gone wrong" compilation. Smoke from overheating, stumps flying through rear windows etc. it's pretty entertaining but made me think no way I'd ever do it myself

Tn Jeff likes this.
  11. Jan 14, 2018 at 12:42 PM
    PacoDevo

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Jere: Not trying to cause an uproar, but the log in the video is nowhere near 16-24" in diameter, maybe 12-14" and maybe 10-12' long.

This is WAY different than a 40" diameter log that is 16' long.

JoefromPTC likes this.
  12. Jan 14, 2018 at 12:46 PM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    Double snatch and you'll have a fighting chance if you can keep the butt from plowing, maybe try to 45 the butt so it acts as a skid to reduce resistance. Don't try to yard it all in one pull. Short pulls with the winch and time in between to allow the motor to cool down.

I've done some yota yarding with my warn 9k but not a 40" diameter log. Maybe 26-30" max.

IMG_20170412_173508.jpg

13. Jan 14, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    Sorry if it was not clear to you that I acknowledged the difference in the log size I was skidding with my home made arch and the prospect of using a commercial arch like the one I provided link to and a large tractor or truck.

JoefromPTC likes this.
  14. Jan 14, 2018 at 1:31 PM
    Tacosail

Tacosail Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Hermanville Heights, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '13 white ACLB
    '17 wheels,int. Wipers , bed mat , relocate trailer plug , husky floor liners , Lund nerf bars, wet Okole seat covers- heat & lumbar.
    I think I would get a few loggers in to look at selling the big stuff around the build site. Then get a price on the big stuff in the rest of the area you will want for yard,ect. Barter in them making trails into the second area in several spots, to pile up the tops at the far end of the trail that you can cut up for fire wood at a later date. Then you can take your time removing the rest of the trees in the second area, and you have a place to store your tops at the end of the trails.

15. Jan 14, 2018 at 2:14 PM
    devkurf

devkurf Member at Large

Member:
    midwest
    Vehicle:
    I've had large oaks I couldn't skid with an 85 hp 4 wheel drive tractor. There's no way I'd want to skid large trees with my taco.

16. Jan 15, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    Finallyhaveatoyota

Finallyhaveatoyota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Double Cab
    Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear. Firestone Riderite Rear Airbags. Aprox. 2.75" front lift, 3" rear. Everything else stock :)
    Thank you everyone for some great tips and info. Where we live in N. Michigan we are fortunate enough that we can burn or use firewood from our own land or even buy. We are planning on burning wood as well as a regular furnace, we have a lot of wood that we have cut, about 6 cords right now. We were also very fortunate to have some very large, very straight with no limbs Sugar Maples. A couple of them are veneer quality and one is even Tiger Striped. With the sale of those trees, should be able to purchase a nice little 4x4 used tractor $5k-$7k range. I was really hoping that my truck would be able to do this as I am just looking for an excuse to purchase a winch, but after reading many of your suggestions, I am concerned with the wear and tear on the truck and winch. That being said, I think skidding a few around would be fine. I was surprised as to how much those trees weigh. We had a good size excavator on our property and it was having issues with some of them, especially the root balls and lower section of the trunk. Thanks again community for the great tips, always can count on good advice on this site.

dziner and bobsuruncle like this.
  17. Jan 15, 2018 at 12:57 PM
    Finallyhaveatoyota

Finallyhaveatoyota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Double Cab
    Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear. Firestone Riderite Rear Airbags. Aprox. 2.75" front lift, 3" rear. Everything else stock :)
    That is a great tractor, familiar with the Deere 770. Similar to a tractor I was using at the farm that I rented years ago, a FORD 3 Cyl. Diesel, 4x4 with bucket. Great size and handled most everything I needed. I am very much leaning towards this size of a tractor as we need to clear a lot of snow in the winter too and the compact size (or smaller than a full frame 60HP) is just about what I was looking for. I am not sure it could handle all of the large trees that I have laid out for a saw mill, but would be perfect for the regular trees and cleanup. We are starting to build in the next few months, good luck on your building project. :)

bobsuruncle likes this.
  18. Jan 15, 2018 at 1:20 PM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    Go big or go home! :boink:

Wait, you're already home. :D

cat330-1.jpg

PackCon likes this.
  19. Jan 18, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    PacoDevo

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    just got on Woodweb site - they have a log weight calculator: not sure where the 40" was measured or the taper of the log, but

small end diameter : 30"...................small end diameter : 24"
    large end diameter : 40"...................large end diameter : 40"
    length : 16'.....................................length : 16'

approximate weight : 6,681 lbs..........approximate weight : 5,819 lbs

That'sa one larga meataball!!!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top