1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Skids - Steel or Aluminum?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by moderndaynorseman, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Jan 2, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    moderndaynorseman

moderndaynorseman [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I probably won't have my paws on a Taco for around a year or so (currently in the middle of switching careers) but I'm looking forward to then. My basic plan is a DCLB with 3" lift (probably go with Icons) and reinforcements that go along with a lift, some sort of bed rack w/ RTT, 33's w/ a regear, sliders + skids + bumpers, slide out drawers in the bed for cooking/recovery gear/hunting equipment, and some auxiliary lighting.

Cheers!

2. Jan 18, 2017 at 1:45 PM
    Millerfish

Millerfish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ca
    Vehicle:
    14 DC SB OR
    Pound for pound aluminum is stronger that steel. If engineered and designed correctly aluminum can be just as strong and lighter than steel. However it will not slide over rocks as well as steel...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  3. Jan 18, 2017 at 1:46 PM
    greeneggsnspam

greeneggsnspam ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    .gif
    Too poor to list anything interesting.
    Steel

4. Dec 7, 2019 at 11:06 PM
    ANAYALATOR OFF ROAD TACO

ANAYALATOR OFF ROAD TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Off Road Long Bed
    3” lift with Bielstein 5100’s. Old Man Emu springs, SPC Upper Control Arms with an add a leaf in the rear. CBI Aluminum Front Bumper with overland full skid plates. Rough Country Ditch Lights, Rough Country 20 Front Bumper Light Bar. Custom RTT bars. Smittybilt Roof Top Tent. Smittybilt XRC Gen 3 Winch.
    Getting VERY concerned about the added weight with my upgrades!! First of all I have a 2017 Tacoma Long Bed Off Road with a 3” lift and Bielstein 5100’s. Old Man Emu springs, SPC Upper Concrol Arms with an add a leaf.
    I recently purchased the 3rd Gen CBI Aluminum front bumper (47lbs), with the front and rear steel CBI Skid plates (combined approx 170lbs). Also have a Smittybilt XRC GEN3 winch (84lb). Lastly I have some custom made steel sliders being fabricated and on the way soon(approx 130lbs to 150lbs combined).

Total 451lbs

Should I be worried???

5. Dec 7, 2019 at 11:22 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    That's nothing man

Come back when you have a bed rack with 10 gallons of fuel water, heavy hc bumper with heavy dual swingouts with folding table, an RTT. Dual battery agm setup, bed slide with arb fridge, and a solar setup.

You only have the equivalent of two hefty girls in your truck.

6. Dec 7, 2019 at 11:28 PM
    Lostsheep

Lostsheep Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 6spd 4x4 OR
    6112s and 5160 , Dakars , Superbumps x4 , u-bolt flip , All Pro Skids (hacked and raised) , 265/70R17 KO2s, SEMA wheels, couple of machined things here and there
    Yes...yes you should always be concerned about weight.

I agree 100% about the statement about aluminum being fine if engineered / designed correctly. Problem is most are copies of their steel counterparts. If it's just for "oh f^&k" moments then the available aluminum skids will be fine but will take damage. If you're rock crawling then no, aluminum is not okay the way most are designed. I'm pretty sure most are made from 5XXX series aluminum as it's an alloy that's meant to be bent during fabrication.

You have to ask yourself what the intended usage is.

I personally have a combination of aluminum and steel. Front skid is ALL-POO aluminum (5XXX), mid skid is steel, and TC skid is a redesigned ALL-POO skid (steel tubing frame with a tummy tucked, flat bottomed 6061 plate.) I am not nice to my skids but my Taco is not a rock crawler. The front (5XXX series) skid is gouged and bent, the TC 6061 skid is gouged but still straight.

ETA: How good are your fab skills?

7. Dec 7, 2019 at 11:40 PM
    Lostsheep

Lostsheep Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 6spd 4x4 OR
    6112s and 5160 , Dakars , Superbumps x4 , u-bolt flip , All Pro Skids (hacked and raised) , 265/70R17 KO2s, SEMA wheels, couple of machined things here and there
    After cutting off the All Pro anchor:
    IMG_1894.jpg
    Tabs and center reinforcement:
    IMG_1906.jpg
    Frame mounted on truck sans skid (aluminum can bolt on from bottom without removing frame)
    IMG_1914.jpg
    Skid in place:
    IMG_1924.jpg

Marc70, FreshPots and badger like this.
  8. Dec 8, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    ANAYALATOR OFF ROAD TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    3” lift with Bielstein 5100’s. Old Man Emu springs, SPC Upper Control Arms with an add a leaf in the rear. CBI Aluminum Front Bumper with overland full skid plates. Rough Country Ditch Lights, Rough Country 20 Front Bumper Light Bar. Custom RTT bars. Smittybilt Roof Top Tent. Smittybilt XRC Gen 3 Winch.
    Too freakin funny! I eventually my plan to go full overland. That makes me feel a lot better about the weight. The reason I brought it up was the other day I took one of my employees out for lunch and this guy is pushing 400lbs. We were driving back into the parking lot that has an extremely deep dip at the entrance and when I hit it at a side approach angle my truck made some squeaks I’ve never heard before. It got me thinking about all the extra weight that I will have on the truck very soon.
    I see you are in Fontucket. My Father in law lives in Colton. I work in San Dimas and will have LGE-CTS Motorsports do my bumper install in San Dimas. Would like to see your set up some day to get some ideas for my future. Thanks for the feedback.

9. Dec 8, 2019 at 10:28 AM
    ANAYALATOR OFF ROAD TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    Very nice set up Brother. I have the fab skills but no equipment. I do have a fab guy who is doing my sliders. I’ll have to show him your pics and see what he can do. Thanks

10. Dec 8, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    Lol sorry that was a smartass response, I have none of that.

But my point still stands that you are still okay on weight. I think once you get a rear bumper and some more things is when you'll probably start feeling it for reals.

11. Dec 8, 2019 at 12:49 PM
    ANAYALATOR OFF ROAD TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    No worries Brother. It was not taken in a bad way. I like that kind of banter.

whatstcp likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top