1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Skiing BS Thread

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by pyroskier, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    pyroskier

pyroskier [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    See, my problem is (was) just the opposite. I worked at a Ski shop in town before my boss closed the store, so I would spend $2,000 + each season on new gear since I could get it for cheap. Ski gear is an addiction.

It's something special :D

No kidding...

Anyone else into Racing? I raced in High School (GS and Slalom). I gave it up in college because it wasn't really my thing. It was fun to be with friends and to travel everywhere, but I got sick of it when competition got more serious... And when I dislocated my hip racing. Talk about pain.

2. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    you guys are crazy! :D i recall a run at beavercreek resort, that is supposedly used for racing events, ...i went down it at "my speed", ..but i couldn't imagine running down that hard-charging it! :eek:

edit: here it is, .."birds of prey" racecourse http://www.bcworldcup.com/birdsofprey/info/races/course-map.aspx
    ...anyway it was fun to ski, ..but i had to put on the brakes a few times ;)

3. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    Cutter29

Cutter29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra TRD PRO
    I spent 7 years racing and 15 as a ski jumper. Wouldn't trade any of it for the opportunities I received and friends I made while traveling.

my quiver is set for the start of the season. new pair of 2012-2013 model should be arriving mid january.

[​IMG]

4. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    Banff2007Tacoma

Banff2007Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Black Sand Pearl TRD Offroad.
    GPS Navigation System, Old Man Emu complete lift with Dakar springs. Light Racing UCA's. BFG AT tires, KMC Enduro rims, Allpro E-locker guard. ARB Portable Air Compressor CKMP12. Backflip Tonneau Cover. Wet Okole seat covers.
    I hope this is not considered thread jacking but I thought some of you on here would be able to give me some suggestions.

Okay so thinking of getting new boots this year and I know there are some experienced skiers in this club so looking for some answers. When I played hockey I had a skate 3 sizes to small because I really like the tight feel. Now when I purchased my last ski boots they suggested this might not be a good idea because of the cold weather which I understand. However my boot feels like I can fit another three socks in there. So here are a few of my questions.

Take into consideration that I am an intermediate skier. I have been skiing for 10 years now and average about 12-18 times a year except for last year where I blew out a knee. I can ski almost any black diamond run (not the greatest) and have on occasion skied or shall I say survived some double black diamond runs. I ski fast and kind of aggressive of course that might have to do with the extra pounds (dont judge) Hopefully that gives you an idea of my ability.

1. My foot is a size 10.5, would it still be way to tight to go to a say 9.5? Any recomendations from experience would be very helpful.

2. Also I am not 100% clear about flex in a boot. I understand that the better you are and heavier you are the stiffer you need the boot. I am guessing since I am a little heavier but not that good I would be between an 80-100 flex? Is that right?

3. If you have any recomendations on a boot I would love to hear it. I also have a low arch and wide foot. According to some research I have been doing the Fischer Viron 95 seems like a good fit but looking for other ideas.

Thanks.

5. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    ...well i'm not up to date w/ the latest boot products out there, ...but i will say that when you buy them, get them a bit tight is probably good. you don't want them too-tight, or it'll cut off circulation which is bad in cold weather, and will be very uncomfortable... last time i shopped for boots, i was told "firm handshake" tight was good, as the internal padding will probably soften up w/ some use...

as, for "flex", ...probably a medium flex is good for all mountain use.. the racers like super stiff, ..probably for improving response/feedback, which i can imagine is crucial for high speed running... ..but i'd stay away from racing boots and look for something "all mountain",.. especially if you like to do shorter radius turns, you need some forward flex in the boots..

6. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    Cutter29

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra TRD PRO
    you need to go try on different boots and talk to a boot fitter that knows what they are talking about. once you know what you want you can shop around for the best deal.
    a lot of the options in boots are personal preference. i spend a lot of time on different parts of the mountain with a lot of it touring in the backcountry but still prefer a stiff (130 flex) race fit boot (9.5 shoe/7.5 ski boot) with custom molded liners etc. the guys i tour with think i'm crazy but i'll suffer through some extra weight for the performance gains.

boots should fit snug without feeling cramped. too big is just as bad and being too small. with the number of days you say you're skiing i would agree 80-100 flex is probably what you should be looking at. you want something that will support you but with your experience level won't kill you by the end of the day.

7. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Man I can't wait! We will be out there Dec 25th-the 28th or 29th. I think we are staying in Kimbal Junction. We'll be on the slopes for a day or 2.

8. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    excellent! they usually get copious amounts of snow that time of year - especially the cottonwood canyon resorts (alta, snowbird, brighton, solitude) ;)

9. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    Banff2007Tacoma

Banff2007Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Black Sand Pearl TRD Offroad.
    GPS Navigation System, Old Man Emu complete lift with Dakar springs. Light Racing UCA's. BFG AT tires, KMC Enduro rims, Allpro E-locker guard. ARB Portable Air Compressor CKMP12. Backflip Tonneau Cover. Wet Okole seat covers.
    Thanks guys I really appreciate your input. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I am looking for so its just a matter of trying some out. Thanks again.

10. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    good luck. getting the right fitment is probably the most important part of the equation ;)

11. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    kite

kite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squamish, BC
    Vehicle:
    Red Truck
    Whistlers been getting dumped on. 91cm in the last 48hrs. It was almost too deep to ski most aspects. Hellooooooooo winter.

12. Nov 23, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    got snorkel? :D

13. Nov 23, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    My dad got to meet glen plake the other week, and surprised me by getting a poster signed by him and sending it to me in the mail. just framed it and hung it on the wall a couple days ago :)

14. Nov 23, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    damn looking at this thread make me want to go so bad :D.

15. Nov 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Speaking of boots, I need a new pair but I have a huge problem.

I have an irregular large arch in my feet, and they are un naturally short, I wear about a 6-61/2EE. Anyone know of any boot companies that can fit an odd shaped foot? Our shops in PA, and in ATL where I live now have nothing.

Thanks

16. Nov 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    Cutter29

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra TRD PRO
    Plake is a good dude. We filmed an episode of "reel thrills" with him at a base jumping event in 08. Super nice and hilarious.

17. Nov 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    Cutter29

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra TRD PRO
    Anyone who makes custom orthotics should be able to help. I use surefoot

18. Nov 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    i've always wanted to meet him. even from just watching warren miller films, he comes off as a great guy.

19. Nov 24, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    F4icaveman

F4icaveman Active Member

Member:
    StL
    Vehicle:
    07 SW SR5 double cab long
    Fitted new boots yesterday for a trip to a-basin, vail, copper, breck, and a couple happy hours in at keystone. Flights/hotels booked. 14th-18th of dec.
    Picking up the head Adapt edge boot, I wear a 10.5 shoe which you'd think would be a 28.5 mondo but actually fit a 28 which equals a half size smaller shoe size. Quite a bit of micro adjusting on this boot you can do on the fly and only $400.

Now I need to figure a way to tell the wife I'm going skiing without her...hmmm?:D

20. Nov 24, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    Whats up guys, if you creeped the snowboard bs thread you would have seen my in their, but I also Ski. Not as good on two planks as one yet, but if I can ever find some boots I am gonna be practicing this year to become a ski instructor next year.

Products Discussed in

To Top