1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Skinny Tire help / experience

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BAZZMAZZA, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Apr 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    BAZZMAZZA

BAZZMAZZA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 and then some...
    OME-882 Coils + Nitro- Sport shocks, ARB Compressor, Spare fuse box, ALL-PRO Bedrack
    Thanks everyone for the input. I do believe I will be fne with a 265 - 75-r16 or a 245 75 16 DURATRAC. Not really a great deal of choices in the DURATRAC sizes for a 16inch rim. With the OME 882 lift I dont think I should have problems. Need to order soon and just get her done. Vehicle ships out to Kodiak AK in June so it's decision time.
    Regards BAZZ

2. Apr 24, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    I have been running the 265/75/16s General grabber at2s now for almost 4 years. Great snow tire, I have gotten great miles out of them (some have not?), and they do very well off road.

I didnt have to beat the shit out of my truck to fit that size tire either.

3. Apr 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    I wanted to buy some duratracs in the factory size, but the only option is to either go factory height, but narrower, or factory width + taller. I didn't want to lose any power or mess up my speedo so I researched the differences between narrow vs wide.

Wide is better for on road higher speed handling (as long as the wheel isn't too narrow), and it's also better for when you're driving in things that go above your frame like a huge mud pit, or if you want to float above the snow like those antarctic tacomas. But for EVERYTHING else, narrow is better. When you air down, the length of the contact patch increases many more times than the width does, the increased length is what's giving you the traction. And narrow tires will have a longer contact patch and larger overall than wide tires at the same psi, which is why they give more grip. Narrower tires also give you greater directional control/stability when your offroading as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top