1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slee bezel install, Diode Dynamics fogs in ARB Deluxe

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by deanosaurus, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Oct 5, 2021 at 5:21 PM
    deanosaurus

deanosaurus [OP] Caveman

Member:
    Northeast Region
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR AC
    Hello friends,

I finally got all the parts together to put some Diode Dynamics SAE fogs into my ARB Deluxe. After spending quite a while contemplating how to modify the plastic ARB inserts with reinforcements to handle bouncing and jostling offroad with the (heavier than ARB intended) DD units, I decided that my time had to count for SOMETHING and that I was probably going to wreck at least one set of plastic inserts trying, so I picked up the ready-made adapters from Slee Offroad.

The instructions are pretty simple:

1 - Instrs.jpg

Steps 1 & 2: Cut along line, and tape to bumper, lining up with opening:

2 - Tape.jpg

Note that you'll want to do this as neatly and cleanly as possible. Some of the dimensions (which I'll show later) are TIGHT, and if you're off by a little, you will definitely blow some of the holes out. Blown holes won't necessarily ruin the install, and they'll be hidden from the public, but you'll know they're there.

Step 3: Mark your centers with a punch. DON'T SKIP THIS STEP:

3 - Punch.jpg

Step 4: 1/8" Pilot holes:

4 - Pilot.jpg

Step 5: Drill 5/16" final holes. Here's a tip not given in the instructions. After you drill your pilot holes, mask the area around the holes off. This way, once you've drilled the 5/16" final size holes, you can use a small round file to clean up burrs and then spray some black rattlecan from the inside of the bumper to protect the exposed edges from rust. The masking tape will protect the outside surface from careless file work and also catch drips from the rattlecan:

5 - Drilled.jpg

After masking tape removed:
    6 - Untaped.jpg

And here's a closeup showing that it pays to CAREFULLY align and punch your starts:
    7 - Closeup.jpg

The Slee Offroad inserts are advertised to "(fit) all Dually style pedestal mount lights". I found that my Diode Dynamics SS3 round bezel pods came with mounts that were just a hair too tall to sit the way I wanted in the Slee foglight surrounds, and I also wanted them to sit a little deeper, mostly to make the hex socket bolts that hold the light to the mount inaccessible from the outside of the truck.

The solution was to pick up some galvanized timber braces and fuck them up with a bench vice, a ball peen hammer, and a metal cutting wheel. Here they are after a few coats of Duplicolor wheel paint:
    8 - Brackets.jpg

Overall I was pleased with the quality of the Slee inserts and extremely pleased with the quality of the DD SS3s. I finished up the wiring with a couple of H10 to Deutsche adapter pigtails, maintaining the factory harness and giving me options down the road.

9 - Lit.jpg

I'll get some night shots of with and without fogs when I get the aim dialed in. For now, they're centered enough and the cutoff is below the headlight cutoff, which will do until I have time to sneak out to the nice big blank white warehouse wall in town.

Other notes:
    The best tool to hold the nylock nuts (for the Slee surrounds) inside the bumper while you tighten the hex bolts is a short box wrench. You can wiggle it onto the nut from behind and then just turn the hex wrench, and the interior details of the Slee brackets will hold the wrench in place.

Unless you already have them on hand, it's cheaper to buy the H10 to Deutsche pigtails than to purchase the components in small quantities. I highly recommend springing for genuine connectors and not cheap knockoffs - the cost delta is much lower than the quality delta.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    ripkinc, Aws123 and Toy_Runner like this.
  2. Oct 7, 2021 at 6:59 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    in the future fyi we make a nice bracket set for the original holders :D
    I have the same bracket as yours now (before we designed these) and also had to make custom brackets to fit my DD lights in them.
    IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

deanosaurus[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 28, 2022 at 9:46 AM
    Ztaylor5273

Ztaylor5273 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCLB TRDSp
    You still have brackets to make the diode dynamics lights fit? I’m in the same boat now with the ARB light housing trying to figure out some better lights to fit in there.

4. Nov 28, 2022 at 7:08 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    yep, you can get them on our site :D

Products Discussed in

To Top