1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slide-in truck campers

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Turkey Run, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Sep 13, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    Nice, there’s not to many of those out there yet, Looks good.

What made you go from a “Camper” to a cap with a bed? Lighter weight? Or options to build it your own way? I did the exact opposite I had a GoFastCamper (one of the very first ones) and quickly decided I wanted a lot more of a camper on my truck and switchedto the Alu-Cab Khaya.

I’m 1000% more comfortable now with the Khaya with full amenities BUT it certainly isn’t as much of an off-roader anymore with all that weight.

That Atlas does look really sharp, I’m sure we’d all love to see interior shots if it’s built out. TY.

1G3_Tommy[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Sep 13, 2020 at 2:04 PM
    1G3_Tommy

1G3_Tommy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    MGM DCSB TRD OR
    I switched mainly because of weight. The FWC was roughly 700lbs and that consumed up most of the trucks weight capacity. This new camper weighs in at 350lbs. Thats a huge difference in MPGs and it doesnt feel like Im driving a brick. I also wanted to run a rear bumper with full size spare with some extra gas and water. The way the FWC hung out of the bed would not allow for a tire swing out. I like the openess of the Atlas as I felt cramped in the FWC and never felt comfortable or had a good nights rest in it. On top of that always having to inspect turnbuckles that were very hard to access became tedious.
    Ive slowly been working on the interior of this one. Ive added a Bed Rug kit for a little more insulation and comfort. I have some ideas for storage but for now its just Plano totes until I figure out what Ill need as far as organization goes. My main focus lately has been getting the campers electrical for the roof fan, fridge, and interior lighting dialed in. Other than that its pretty minimalist with the less is more theme.
    _DSC0047.jpg _DSC0362_1.jpg

3. Oct 19, 2023 at 6:21 PM
    OverlandSA

OverlandSA New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    buckles
    Vehicle:
    Trying to make a nice Taco TRD.

Products Discussed in

To Top