1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slider Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chickenmunga, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Sep 4, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga [OP] Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I'm trying to get myself educated.

First off,
    -I'm going welded. Saves some cash and I'm keeping the truck until one of us is buried.
    -I'm just starting in offroad stuff, but I want the sliders to be tough as nails. It needs to protect me from my stupidity :p;)
    -For that matter, it needs to protect me from other people's stupidity!
    -I haven't seen a slider on here that I didn't like, but I'm more partial to rounded.

Questions:
    1. It looks like sliders are $200 - $600 by themselves. Why the big price difference?

2. How much should I expect for welding labor?

4. Do I need a lift beforehand?

2. Sep 4, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    1....price differences range differently depending on material........brand,etc. demellos are hella expensive......but are awesome......my revenge-fab's are awesome...but relatively cheap...comparatively anyway.

2...welding labor depends............im guessing anywhere between $75 to $150 or so.

3....not sure where that one went.

4....no lift needed to have sliders.

3. Sep 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Most sliders are made by smaller shops that deal only in offroad fabrication.
    Like tacomaman said...price can & will vary depending on where you get them, materials, overall design, & quality of fabrication, etc.

Welding labor also varies. I'd be VERY VERY careful where you go to get sliders welded on. If you're not careful, you could pay big bucks and get the worst weld job that won't stand up to offroad abuse.

Also - HOW they are welded to your frame can make the difference between paying $50 and paying $150. You wanna make sure its welded & gussetted and has plent of support to lift the entire weight of the vehicle by the sliders. If it's a poor weld job, it could rip a hole through your frame. Frame material isn't very thick....

4. Sep 4, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    Chickenmunga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Yeah, I watched that. Just a guy stretching beyond his capabilities from the sounds of it, but I'm not taking chances.

There's a spendy (but very good) welding place south of me a bit, or I could look at Leonard's.

What do you guys think of Beefed Taco's stuff?

5. Sep 4, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    beefedtaco makes some nice looking gear man.

6. Sep 4, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    When you do get something going, maybe we can meet up. I'm also in B-ton, and I'd like to see how they come out as I'm starting to look around myself.

7. Sep 4, 2009 at 4:26 PM
    Chickenmunga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Any time. Just know I tend to take a long time making a decision :p

8. Sep 4, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    price difference is from material used, and profit the company wants to make...

see little things that makes a better slider like this from stubbs:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

http://stubbswelding.com/hdsko.htm

try to find another slider with reinforced ends like this..

9. Sep 4, 2009 at 10:35 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    id be down to also, i live in junction city, about 12 miles north of eugene

10. Sep 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    ay i was wondering can u use those for side steps...??? Or is that a bad idea...??

11. Sep 5, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It depends....

On my previously owned 96 tacoma, I had Demello Square tube sliders with the dual tubes. I covered them with herculiner and used them as steps all the time. They were awesome. They were square and were level and were great for stepping on.
    Here's a pict:
    http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/albums/ToyotaTacoma/1996Tacoma/normal_133.jpg
    And here's the website on Demello to order them
    http://www.demello-offroad.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_21&products_id=44

Most of the sliders that you see are round tubes and they bend upwards a bit. Not exactly the best (or flat area) step.... I've seen some round-double tube sliders with diamand plating welded to the top to make a flat surface for stepping on. You'd have to do some research - if there are other options.

12. Sep 5, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Good thread with lots of info. Some thread here also stated that Demello's weren't that good. Those were the first ones I was thinking of getting, like the look and the location is close to me. They are pricey so I'll be waiting on the next group buy.

13. Sep 5, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    ETAV8R...i believe the thread youre referring to mentioned demello's bending up into a fender and causing more damage than they prevented...

i dont have demello sliders...however...im a firm believer that any product will fail at some point

that one incident is the only one ive heard of from demellos stuff

pretty much most of the slider designs out there could have the very same failure as there are no legs on the very ends of any of them...and if you land a truck on the end of one...theres a very good chance that any of them would do the very same thing

im also a firm believer in over-building things...hence why my sliders are .120 wall DOM tube with 4 legs spaced apart enough to get the outside 2 legs as close to the ends of the sliders as possible

14. Sep 5, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Thanks for the feedback and info guys. I wasn't bashing Demello. They are still in the running for S L I D E R S which I will get at some point.
    :mudding:

15. Sep 5, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    Chickenmunga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Hey thanks all for the good thread. I'm in contact with one of the forum members who might be cooking up something for me :stirthepot:

16. Sep 5, 2009 at 4:12 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    Thanks guys... I think I might just settle for the n-fab steps intead... Cuz I have 5" of total lift... And the sliders come up a little and I want it more for a step anyway...?? Thanks again...

17. Sep 5, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    my sliders have 5 legs, I haven't seen a model with 5 yet... I have slammed them on rocks and they never budge.

I use them as steps most of the times, my girlfriend all the time.

18. Sep 5, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    Thanks... Do u have a lift..??

19. Sep 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    And how do u lie your camburg UCA..??

20. Sep 5, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    I bought the shrockworks they are hardcore I used them acouple times all ready. They are boltons and you stated that you want weld ons. I think you should take a look and save the cash to have so one put them on.

Products Discussed in

To Top