1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sliders - guess you gotta pay to play

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Madjik_Man, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Jun 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man [OP] The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    That's not as "flat" as they seemed in the first pic.

Do you still have your pinch weld?

2. Jun 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    This profile is what I would like

[​IMG]

3. Jun 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I am not a welder. I have taken one class on the subject, but I will not call myself a welder. With that in mind, here's my two cents:

$200 bucks sounds fair for a job done right.

There may be someone who will do it right with clean welds and proper prep beforehand, but you won't know for sure until they are done with your truck.

The frames are not that thick on these trucks. I would think that over penetration, under penetration, and possibly changing the temper of the steel may come into play. And it will take time to get them mocked up right and double checked before tacking and final welding. It's not easy to weld in a vertical or overhead position like that either.

I'd gladly pay $200 bucks to someone with a good reputation for doing that kind of work day in and day out. If someone does it cheap and messes up your frame where does that leave you?

4. Jun 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    Sound advice. I figure if I'm spending $200 on sliders, spending another $200 (while a lot of money) for an expert job is not that bad. And 5 years from now I won't be thinking about the $200 of labor.

But still.... I'd rather find another alternative with high quality results.

5. Jun 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Perhaps you could do the cleaning/prep work beforehand, and help position the sliders and get them clamped up before letting an expert welder have at it?

I'd be looking for someone who does fab already (bumpers, racecars, sliders?) and want's to make some quick side money. Just be involved to make sure the details get done right and all they have to concentrate on is not screwing up your frame.

No offense to anyone on here, but I would not bet the long term reliablity of a frame (particularly a 1st gen frame living in snow country) to someone who's had a couple of welding classes and no certifications. The guy at the muffler shop welding on Flowmasters all day is probably not the right choice either.

6. Jun 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    45acp

45acp Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
    The TG sliders aren't chinese. And they are great, IMO. They are the lowest cost sliders out there. 4xInnovations sliders are a close second (in terms of cost).
    I'll be coming out to CO/WY in a month. If you want some 4x sliders, I'll literally be passing the 4xInnovations shop in Platteville, WI and could bring them with me so you could avoid shipping costs. I'll also be bringing my welder if you want to use it, unless you trust a retard like me to do it.:D

7. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    The Truck Shop in SoCal will build you sliders any way you.I want square tubing near my frame,round on the outer with kickouts.They told my $400 out the door installed for TW members. Forgot to ask what steel it was.

8. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    IronCladTRD

IronCladTRD Consistently Irregular

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin
    Hotel California
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 Manual V6 3.4L
    5100s/Eibach 3" lift, All-Pro Expo rear leafs, Elite front bumper & sliders, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, 33x10.5r15 BFG All terrains, Ultra Rogue 15x8 rims, homemade bed rack, Midland 1001z CB radio Deckplate mod, Century shell, train horn, debadged
    Everyone else is saying this too, but shoot man, $200 is pretty freakin expensive to get the suckers welded on there.
    Heck, that's more than the actual sliders themselves!
    Something doesn't add up there...
    My Elite's were fairly affordable, and I'm not an experienced welder, but I have an acquaintance with a shop and he got me started and let me weld them on myself.
    It was a big job and it'd take you a good 3-4 hours to get it done right, but an experienced welder could have them on in less than 2. That's like $100+ an hour?!

9. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    IronCladTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin
    Hotel California
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 Manual V6 3.4L
    5100s/Eibach 3" lift, All-Pro Expo rear leafs, Elite front bumper & sliders, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, 33x10.5r15 BFG All terrains, Ultra Rogue 15x8 rims, homemade bed rack, Midland 1001z CB radio Deckplate mod, Century shell, train horn, debadged
    The way I see it, the frame is only gonna get stronger as you weld stuff to it... Not gonna weaken the frame by welding on 1/4" steel plates onto it. Just my 2 cents

10. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    i think $200 is a little much. i took my time and made sure i didnt heat to much of the frame up at one time and it took me about an hour to weld mine on. bring them to mississippi and i will weld them on for you.:D

11. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    Wait... you'd let me (someone who's never touched a welder) use it, but then call yourself a retard? After bobbing your bed, building a rear bumper, etc... :eek:

And that is a generous offer, as always appreciate it.

I'm looking at 4xI vs TG and don't see much difference. Do you have an opinion on either or?

I'd definitely do the DOM tubing.

12. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    you could weaken the frame if you heated it up too much in one spot.i skipped around when i welded mine on

13. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    I would do that (I like the square tubing under the rocker panel) but it does me no good living in Colorado

:eek:

14. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    IronCladTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin
    Hotel California
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 Manual V6 3.4L
    Yeah, that's what I did. Just welded on the majority of the thing. Didn't worry too much about the corners and stuff. Still, we both jumped around on those things (I weigh 160 and he weighs probably 180-190) and those puppies are on there to stay!

15. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    4xI have optional kickouts that you can get that don't cost extra. I really like my 4xI sliders personally.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you have to pay extra for the gussets with TG and 4xIs come with them.

16. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    no i ment i skipped around and didnt weld in one spot for too long.
    this is how i tested mine.
    [​IMG]

17. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    $200 is way more than it should cost to simply weld a set of sliders on if they are all assembled. If you have to set the angle, weld end plates and gussets on, it would be a more reasonable cost from a shop. A buddy would be able to do it for $100 and a case of beer or less in either case.

As far as damaging the frame by overheating, I dont really buy it. I can see it, somewhat, but seeing as you loose the temper on metal any time you take it over ~400 degrees, there is no way to avoid it. Skipping around is advisable so you dont heat up really big areas, but most people are going to do that anyway. You can warp stuff before you realize it if you dont. When I first started welding, I was putting some 3/8" bar stock on a trailer's dove tail for traction and made one long bead accross it(about 2.5 ft). My boss stopped me a little before I finished out the weld. When I pulled my hood up, I saw that the 1/8 diamond plate I was welding to had sunk about 1" between the supports that were about 14" apart. The weld was rock solid though. [​IMG]

Somebody was talking about the welds being hard to make earlier, but it's really not. They are using MIG welders, so any position is just about the same. The only differance is how many burns you will have from splatter.

18. Jun 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    So is there no one local that you know that can weld these on for you?

19. Jun 19, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    No. Not really.

Before, or as, I get them I'll hit up the Colorado BS thread to see if anyone can help out. Obviously I'd be willing to pay them

20. Jun 20, 2012 at 12:58 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    that's a good idea, i'm sure you can find someone to do it for at least half the price. Any idea what you have settled on? TG or 4x? Of course the TG ones will be much easier and quicker to do because they come shipped and ready to rock. Where as you have to assemble the 4x ones yourself, which can lead to differences on either side and a greater chance to mess up or do something wrong.

Products Discussed in

To Top